I Just Thought Of Something

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Armored Wolf

I Just Thought Of Something

Post by Armored Wolf » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:44 pm

I just had a mind-blowing thought. If Wolfire does build a game for the ground up, with us seeing each weeks new update, and many getting to use each update, there will be mods with everything complete before the real game is even finished.

:/
Last edited by Armored Wolf on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiweeyum

Re: I Just Thought Of Something

Post by wiweeyum » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:51 pm

There is a very good chance of that. I'm guessing a lot of mission campaigns will be released soon after, but I'm not so sure about total conversions. That'll be decided as we learn more about the scripting engine.

It's gonna rock isn't it? :)

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Armored Wolf wrote:I just had a mind-blowing though. If Wolfire does build a game for the ground up, with us seeing each weeks new update, and many getting to use each update, there will be mods with everything complete before the real game is even finished.

Maybe ... i haven't seen many projects take off yet ... and i'd say at best 3/4th of all mods that make it past the concept phase die anyway ...

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:55 am

I've been waiting in the proverbial wings ever since alpha 30 or earlier for the engine to have enough features and be stable enough to start really working on some cool stuff, but with rabbot/robbert still crashing it's pretty much impossible to test any levels I might make.

It's really, really close now though, with the recent graphics optimizations the default levels are finally playable for me. Once robbert works, and some minor issues in the editor are addressed you can bet I will give it my best shot to start on some OG mods =)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:59 am

I was also trying my best on the mapping project, but I didn't finish it in time, and now I'm very busy in school. Still, I agree with jo-shadow - we're very, very close to being able to do actual mods with actual content. Levels, animations, scripted events... It's all coming together...

Eruditemoose

Post by Eruditemoose » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:36 am

What I'd really like to know is what kind of functions we'll be given access to. I know the AI will be writen in script, and that we of course already have basic key detection, playing animations and movement, but I'm curious to see what we'll be able to do with hot spots, entity creation (ie spawing bad guys, projectiles, whatever else), multiplayer and especialy the physics. I think the script is probably going to make or break OG as a modding tool, so hopefully the guys will include a wide array of functions.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:49 am

Armored Wolf wrote:I just had a mind-blowing though. If Wolfire does build a game for the ground up, with us seeing each weeks new update, and many getting to use each update, there will be mods with everything complete before the real game is even finished.

All the more incentive for the devs to make the actual game ever so much epic-er. Epiccer?
Ever so much more epic. Yes.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:22 am

Armored Wolf wrote:I just had a mind-blowing thought. If Wolfire does build a game for the ground up, with us seeing each weeks new update, and many getting to use each update, there will be mods with everything complete before the real game is even finished.

That's actually the whole point :P

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:48 am

No matter what the fans produce, Wolfire's final product will be more awesome, because it's what allows such mods to be made.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:01 am

Untadaike wrote:No matter what the fans produce, Wolfire's final product will be more awesome, because it's what allows such mods to be made.
David himself did say that certain alternate campaigns for Lugaru were better than the original.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:59 am

Better than the original campaign, yes, but better than the game, Lugaru itself? How could it be, since the existence of that campaign made "the final product" better? :)

I was going to write a similar post, but Untadaike's chose of words was too good for that.