actual console games

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
binx

actual console games

Post by binx » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:12 pm

I was wondering if lugaru or overgrowth was ever going to be released in disk form or like a game for lets say PS3

Ragdollmaster

Re: actual console games

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:53 pm

Definitely not. Producing a game for the PS3 or 360 costs millions of dollars. Overgrowth is also a bit of a niche game- it doesn't have wide spectrum appeal. Even if Wolfire had millions of dollars to invest in producing this on consoles, they probably wouldn't profit at all, or maybe marginally at best :roll:

There's also the trouble of actually coding the game for PS3. You can't just stick the files on a flash drive, plug it into your USB port, and start kicking butt with a six-axis. Assuming Wolfire COULD even do it, I think at best it would be a downloadable game on Playstation Store and XBOX Live Arcade. Even that is being a bit of an optimist.

It's even less likely that Overgrowth will ever be transferred to a disk format, for either PC or consoles.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:19 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Definitely not. Producing a game for the PS3 or 360 costs millions of dollars. Overgrowth is also a bit of a niche game- it doesn't have wide spectrum appeal. Even if Wolfire had millions of dollars to invest in producing this on consoles, they probably wouldn't profit at all, or
maybe marginally at best :roll:
I'm not sure if it's that expensive, but it is more expensive and more complicated. I only have one source for actual numbers:

http://www.dpfiles.com/dpfileswiki/inde ... Money_Goes

and it says:

Development - consoles $20,000,000
Development royalty - consoles 0$
Development - PC $500,000
Development royalty - PC $2,000,000

I don't know what that means, exactly, especialty the royalty part. It does imply console development is an order of magnitude more expensive. Any way, that is a good article if you're interested in how many sales are needed to break even or make profit, with a PC, handheld, console etc game.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:13 pm

it does say that the development on the Consoles costs 20 million though.

binx

Post by binx » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:40 pm

thank you all very much :D

SamW

Post by SamW » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10 pm

I don't think it costs that much to publish on xbox live.
The live arcade is available for indie developer, but is it worth the effort to put it there?