Phoenix Engine 8-10-05 Better Physics-Based Animation

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:37 pm

Don't rush it, I'd prefer a game that took two years and was awsome, to one that looked nice, but had no real gameplay.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:30 am

Agree.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:00 am

David, you are a genius among programmers. Why hasn't anyone else come up with physics-based animation, it seems a lot easier than animating it by hand.

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:59 pm

Because the industry doesn't like innovators within the company - they want profits.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:02 pm

By the looks of these demos, it seems very clear that we will be able to do some sidestepping and backstepping with absolutly no delay time between the two. Are the arms completely ragdoll too? It seems like they bounce, swing and, hang back based on the players velocity. Variable speeds seem very possible for this wieght based engine to create, but recent PC games have shown us that it's pretty hard to create a comlpex move system with only keyboard buttons (no joystick meant that it either had to be full directional movement or no movement), the typical style I've seen contained jog and sprint with an option of assigning a walk to toggle on. Will this game have a bit more control than luguru 1 was based on (maybe an acceleration method that could assign more weight towards a direction the longer it was pressed)? Classic Luguru controls are great, I wouldn't care how much control we got, just thinking the pheonix engine could do more(the mouse jump feature was cool, maybe more of these can be optional in debug?).
Can't wait to see what crouching would be like, hope he uses arms to make him look more animal like and stealthy.
Edit February 27: last sentence