Phoenix 8-13-05 Beginning User Interface

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:10 am

I don't even know what SSX is. But yeah, it would really save a lot of time if you guys could simply be patient and wait until we actually implement the feature and post screen shots and such before you start wondering exactly what the implementation looks like, if it's better than game X, if it will run fast on computer X, why we haven't added nazis, etc. I am honestly getting pretty tired of the forums.

Also, it is unlikely that any forum members will be getting beta access. We tried that with Lugaru 1 and the quality of the beta testers was extremely poor. You have seen all of the "hey I have a great idea for L2! add a huge WW2 simulation mode!" posts, so you can kind of imagine what the L1 beta forum looked like. Very few bugs were actually found, and the ones that were were written up really poorly. So for Lugaru 2, we are going with the pros. Lugaru 2 is also a little more serious than Lugaru 1; competing with commercial games and all, so NDAs et al. are necessary and most of you aren't old enough to sign a contract.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:21 am

Jeff wrote: You have seen all of the "hey I have a great idea for L2! add a huge WW2 simulation mode!" posts
There were - including yours - 4 posts about that.
No one said "hey I have a great idea for L2! add a huge WW2 simulation mode!".
Blorx said level and he didn't use lowercase letters in the beginning of
a sentence.

[I don't know which emoticon to put here]

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:26 pm

Jeff is right though.
Some of you people need some whippings. ;P

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:33 pm

I'm never going to be able to run this. I need a job. xD I'm going to have to steal my friends G5 until then...

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:23 pm

Jeff is right: pretty much everyone (probably including me) needs whippings. Honestly, 99% of everything on all the forums is crap. there's been way to much of "Is this gouing to run on my system? is there going to be Multiplayer/online play? has anyone played WoW? Why did Lugaru crash?" It's extremely sickening. if you guys are going t post this crap, do it in the randomness board, with warning plasteered all over it. I have no desire to hear about people whining over how Lugaru/2 should have X, or if they can help, or that they're making the next halo.

*apologizes for the rant and/or repeating stuff*

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:29 pm

The Lugaru 1 forum wasn't that bad.. people with "omfg add naruto and ww2!" ideas got lambasted =p

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:43 pm

zip wrote:
Lugaruman100 wrote:So you are making a tech demo after all. So will this cloth engine surpass the cloth physics in SSX at the same time fully creating cloth physics as good as cloth physics/simlulation such as toy story, shrek, and final fantasy 7 advent children?
Stop asking stupid questions =p
It is not a stupid question. It's a question about how good the cloth physics will look. :roll:

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:52 pm

Lugaruman100 wrote:
zip wrote:
Lugaruman100 wrote:So you are making a tech demo after all. So will this cloth engine surpass the cloth physics in SSX at the same time fully creating cloth physics as good as cloth physics/simlulation such as toy story, shrek, and final fantasy 7 advent children?
Stop asking stupid questions =p
It is not a stupid question. It's a question about how good the cloth physics will look. :roll:
The context is, using arbitray standards that can't really be compared, and which many of us haven't seen.
What does it mean for cloth physics to "surpass" those in SSX, while maintaining the quality shown in Toy Story and Shrek?

Lugaruman100

Post by Lugaruman100 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:58 pm

zip wrote:What does it mean for cloth physics to "surpass" those in SSX, while maintaining the quality shown in Toy Story and Shrek?
See the game for yourself. Some of the characters in that game have clothes that move around but do not look that great due to lack of polygons. There are other games that look better. Unreal tournament and halo for example, theres flags in CTF that look better then that game.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:34 am

Real-time cloth physics will never look as good as pre-rendered cloth physics, for obvious reasons.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:13 am

zip wrote:The Lugaru 1 forum wasn't that bad.. people with "omfg add naruto and ww2!" ideas got lambasted =p
Again?
:roll:

Raumkraut

Post by Raumkraut » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:48 am

David wrote:Real-time cloth physics will never look as good as pre-rendered cloth physics, for obvious reasons.
I bet you a gajillion pounds that I can make pre-rendered cloth animations that're worse than your in-game ones! ;)

Oh, and Lugaruman100; I will bet you *ten* gajillion pounds that no CTF flags, in any game so far, use real-time cloth physics. :P

SSX?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:51 am

Lugaruman100 wrote: There are other games that look better. Unreal tournament and halo for example, theres flags in CTF that look better then that game.
The flags in Halo are just a textured plane that ripples... it isn't cloth physics.

Lugaruman100

Post by Lugaruman100 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:06 pm

Raumkraut wrote:Oh, and Lugaruman100; I will bet you *ten* gajillion pounds that no CTF flags, in any game so far, use real-time cloth physics. :P

SSX?
After all, I am talking about polygons. The games I was talking about (not counting the pre-rendered CG movies) were games using a good amount of polygons and some key framing/physics animation.

And yes Raumkraut SSX stands for Snowboarding Supercross, I am talking about that game.

thingythekid

Post by thingythekid » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:14 pm

I would bet quite a large sum of money that David could make a similarly large sum of money through writing a series of Physics and 3D Engine programming tutorials. And then selling them. Or possibly just living off the gifts that I would shower him with. :roll:

By the way, the engine is looking omnipotent. And I think my graphics card would explode if I let it think about displaying stuff like that. Oh well. It would be a small price to pay for playing Lugaru 2 for a few milliseconds.

Mostly off topic, does anyone know of a good OpenGL with C++ on Mac OS X tutorial? I've been looking all day...

Although I may just be suffering from BDD. (Brain Deficiency Disorder)