Possible Pirating of Lugaru

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:53 am

It will definitely be downloadable, and possibly available on DVD as well.

Ink

Post by Ink » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:29 pm

Well, I recently bought it.
Not only because it's a kickassradsupercool game, but I want to give money to support David.
Pirating of games make me mad. I feel pretty good knowing that I buy my entertainment. And at the same time supporting some person that is working he's ass off, just to entertain other people.

Keep up the good work David! I can't wait for Lugaru 2! :)

NightDevil

Post by NightDevil » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:31 am

Guyz bad news!Lugaru got cracked at the demand of a freak and now its published on most of the cracking sites!Anyone could get lugaru now for free :cry: :cry: :x :x :x God this makes me soooooooo mad

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:37 am

Lugaru has been cracked for a long time..
I don't think theres much we can do, almost all games get cracked.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:51 am

For Lugaru 2, there could just be a demo download for free and a full version download or CD ($$$) with no serial numbers involved. Or it could be made like Warcraft III where only one user of a serial number can play online at any one time.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:27 pm

I vote use serials/cd-keys that gets checked online when you play the game,
or more importantly, when you play online.
"CD-keys" have been good at preventing pirates at playing multiplayer.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:28 am

What about having a serial key being generated AND read based on your computer specs. MAC address or whatever it's called, and diverse mobo information. However you do it. And if you upgrade your puter, all you have to do to upgrade the register code is to submit it to a register converter that's on your user account which is locked to the game's cd-key which is NOT the serial key.
Wait, never mind, that idea sucked. :|

Saranalos

Post by Saranalos » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:51 pm

There's basically no possible way to prevent a game from being "cracked". 3ds MAX DOES have a pretty funny system, but if you really wanted to, it's crackable. Same with Maya.

But think about this, a lot of the time, people will download the cracked game, and then if they really really like it, will actually go out and buy the full version. A lot of the time the games on the mass market are actually quite bad, full of bugs, unplayable. If you have downloaded an illegal version of the game you can see for yourself just what it plays like.

And as to the above persons idea, it's been done on a few games before.

Half-Life 2 was cracked by my friend(He owns the game, we did it to see if it was possible) and it took a while, but it was fun. Didn't release how he did it or anything. Still, I think that you should always buy the game if you are able. Cracks that allow you to play without the CD are useful however, because I've had some of my CD's smashed in the past. If I was using a crack it wouldn't matter. As it stands, I have to go and buy a new game disk. :evil:

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:24 pm

The best way to prevent your game from getting cracked is to add online content like multiplayer and wolfire.net.

Saranalos

Post by Saranalos » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:25 pm

Yeah. I'm just hanging around until Lugaru 2 is released. Looks sweet. 8)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:25 pm

Saranalos wrote: But think about this, a lot of the time, people will download the cracked game, and then if they really really like it, will actually go out and buy the full version. A lot of the time the games on the mass market are actually quite bad, full of bugs, unplayable. If you have downloaded an illegal version of the game you can see for yourself just what it plays like.
Rent before buy. That's how I do it. It's faster and more reliable.
Half-Life 2 was cracked by my friend(He owns the game, we did it to see if it was possible) and it took a while, but it was fun.
Yeah, right... Why do you say that? It's not believable at all. Doesn't support your point.
Cracks that allow you to play without the CD are useful however, because I've had some of my CD's smashed in the past. If I was using a crack it wouldn't matter. As it stands, I have to go and buy a new game disk. :evil:
No, that's not correct. You can always replace your disk by sending the broken one to the address in the manual and get a new one for a small fee. I did that with a number of games.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:56 pm

rudel_ic wrote:...for a small fee.
...Rent before buy.
I've used no-cd/dvd cracks because I'm lazy.
I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I honestly don't believe your friend cracked HL2, Saranalos.
Steam is extremely secure.
Sometimes Steam games get cracked (at least they did I think), but it gets fixed in a matter of days
and users using the cracks get banned.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:11 pm

I've used no-cd/dvd cracks because I'm lazy.
That's why I use them as well. You don't have to search for the CD / DVD, just a doubleclick and the fun starts.
But if a CD is broken, I want a new one because if I want to install that game again, I don't want to have to download it.

Saranalos

Post by Saranalos » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:15 pm

Yeah, right... Why do you say that? It's not believable at all. Doesn't support your point.
I never asked you to believe it. I just said he'd done it, for FUN... Not for helping people use and play illegal games. Therefore it was not "fixed". Nor can it ever be, since it was done privately and never released for public usage. The only way you can "crack" it forever is to get rid of all the commands that ask for a steam verification. Steam IS very secure, it's good.
No, that's not correct. You can always replace your disk by sending the broken one to the address in the manual and get a new one for a small fee. I did that with a number of games.
I have done this, but they merely told me it was my own fault. Again, you're much more likely to scratch, break or damage your CD if you need to take it out every time you use it. And why should you pay yet another amount, however nominal to the publisher from which you bought the game? You've already bought it. Anyhow, I think you've read my entire point wrongly. You have also admitted to using cracks, which is illegal and on most discussion boards you'd be banned for that.
Rent before buy. That's how I do it. It's faster and more reliable.
They allow you to rent PC games? What country do you live in where this is allowed? I want to move there. Normally they will rent Playstation and Xbox games, but never ever PC games.

If renting PC games was done here, I'd be a huge user of it. However, game publishers and shops do not do it, because they assume you will "crack" the game.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:46 pm

The only way you can "crack" it forever is to get rid of all the commands that ask for a steam verification.
That's just a very small part of the process and not even necessary.

Anyway, whether you did it or not I don't want to discuss because I can't tell. I just said that it's not believable, and you should understand that very well if you know someone who did that. It's so hard that if you posted that statement on more popular boards of that genre, everyone would laugh at you even if you were a proven cracker.
You have also admitted to using cracks, which is illegal and on most discussion boards you'd be banned for that.
No, it's not illegal. At least not in my country. And that I definitely know.
They allow you to rent PC games?
Yes.

Edit: Check this out. That's not the way I'm doing it, but it should work for you!