How animation are made ?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
chkone

How animation are made ?

Post by chkone » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:36 pm

Hello,
I have a little question about animation showed in weekly video. This animation are hand made by artist or procedural animation generated before or on runtime generated by code ?
Thank

David
Project Leader

Re: How animation are made ?

Post by David » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:49 pm

They are hand-made, but use procedural and physics-based modifiers such as inverse kinematics and floppy ears.

vanular

Post by vanular » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:15 pm

David wrote:They are hand-made, but use procedural and physics-based modifiers such as inverse kinematics and floppy ears.
Following up on this (old) question, where would one go to learn more about this approach to animation? Have any recommended articles or resources?

I've been searching around after first being very impressed with the approach Overgrowth takes on animation, but I can't seem to find much about it (save a few articles here and there about dynamic foot-placement).

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Yeah, it can be hard to find stuff about procedural animation and such. The best place to learn about IK is probably in your head. Experiment, trial and error sort of procedure, ya know? I can't think of anywhere better than an experienced programmer for info on how to do IK and other constraints. Although, David did write a paper on this subject a while back.
http://legacy.wolfire.com/rotationconst ... paper.html

While it does get above my easy understanding once he hits rotational restraints on the joints, I understand his idea. It's an interesting read and is very insightful into a great way to implement ragdoll physics. I know there's a game out there that utilizes Davids ragdoll methods in this paper. Lemme dig for a second...
It's pretty cool to see someone using David's idea though. It works amazingly, no surprise.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:26 pm

http://cube.wikispaces.com/Creating+Ragdolls
They credit their ragdolls to David's design.

vanular

Post by vanular » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:32 am

Korban3 wrote:http://cube.wikispaces.com/Creating+Ragdolls
They credit their ragdolls to David's design.
Ah nice, thanks! I'll definitely look into it.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Yeah, no problem. I'd actually like to give a shot at trying David's system, although in 2D since 3D is still too complicated for me :P