bullet time

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Ovaltine
Over-enthusiastic zoo patron

Post by Ovaltine » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:38 pm

Yeah, that's a bad idea.

I mean, even my sex appeal idea is better!

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:56 pm

I don't even get how it would work. I understand the idea for people near the "time bomb", but what if I was out of that range, would I be able to catch up and beat the shit out of the slow people since they wouldn't be able to keep up with my movements?

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:21 am

Umm... no you can't walk into the barrier because it is different than in Fable. In Fable you would slow time and then beat the crap out of the guys while they couldn't move.
In Timeshift, you would make an explosion, that would create a continuous little field that stops everything, even you. Instead of attacking the guy up close or even actually hitting him, the only thing that would happen is that everything would freeze inside the little area and everything entering the area. If you tried to shoot him, the bullets would stop, right as they entered the shield, but so would he. As soon as the blast effect would stop, everything that was stopped in motion would continue on again. All the bullets would speed up again and hit the dude inside or what ever thing they were pointed at.
I thought this was pretty cool because you could put a field down in front of you if you were trapped in a hallway with people shooting at you. All the bullets would stop (or slow down depending on the "grenade" type) and you could easily just step aside from the bullets (or dodge the slowmoving ones), as long as you didn't enter the field. Instead of using things like smoke grenades and flashbangs, futuristic games could use slow grenades and time stoppers.
The barriers I was refering to were little sections in the map that would always slow down things like the slow motion grenades. They could be always activated or switched on with a lever. Barriers in 'Dodge' would just help out the dodgers to get out of the way if the knives are to fast.
I just thought it would be really hard to dodge knives. I mean computers could do it easily, since they would automatically backflip or roll as soon as you hit throw or tried to roll jump over them (Even then, an experienced player could kill the flipping opponent with a fake out throw). Throwing knives is really awesome in single player, and in multiplayer. I just think that players may get frusterated if they were the ones dodging, but hey, if rounds are fast and blood effects are cool, I wouldn't mind taking one in the stomach. :wink:

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:40 am

I see what your are saying now. It would really suck to involuntarily go in a time warp, like a forced pause. I don't know how much I like it for Lugaru multiplayer. It seems way to unrealistic. In a sense you are being given the ability to stop anything you want from reaching you, which is pretty weird. This entire idea would cause a lot of physics issues and the such. How would the game handle it if you tried to run into the "time barrier"? Would it be like hitting a wall? I was reading through my post before submitting it and realized that it would be possible, although I still don't like it, to have (in multiplayer) the entire game slow down for every participant of this particular "world."
Although in single player standard bullet time (slow down everything) would be fine.

PS I have never played either Timeshift or Fable, although I have seen Jeff play a wee bit of Fable, but not enough to understand the game at all.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:13 pm

Ya, you could pass through the "wall," it's just that you would slow down the same way everything alse is. So, the whole game isn't effected at all, they would just see the two (or, more) people inside the "bubble" attacking each other in slow motion.
Let's also say you didn't want the players to actually have the ability to manipulate time. That's what they are doing in Timeshift, I see how that would be a bit awkward and annoying for Lugaru 2.

So, let's use time manipulation in a different way. There are 3 different types of difficulty settings in Lugaru. Ultimately, the only difference between difficult and insane would be the faster amount of speed and the precision of forward reversals. If people wanted to be more united, you know, being in the same server but doing different things (makes it easier to chat, easier to actually interact with the user's playing). So, if pro's wanted to play with each other, they would just enter the 'insane' area on the map, the speed would kick up, maybe along with damage, and reversals would change aswell so they could really play on 'expert' mode, with whoever they wanted to play along with. Spectaters could look into the bubble, even enter it if they wished to join in or, just watch.

Wouldn't that be neat, maybe even look just as cool also. Different appearences of the barriers like a glassy texture you could walk and easily look through. Or, a more bubbly, moving suface like that of Stargate which you would kind of melt through, like that of water.

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:42 am

i know david doesn't want to have any modern weapons in the game, but i thought of this as an added twist.

Turner is wandering the island of Lugaru, searching for a meaning in his life, when he stumbles across a cave which seems to be the remnants of an ancient civilization. upon studying the artifacts hidden deep within the cave, he learns that "humans" once inhabited this island, but they were wiped out after a massive explosion (atomic holocaust). He also discovers various technologies by *reading the books?*, and starts experimenting with these. eventually he learns how to make crude weapons like simple projectile-firing mechanisms, and works his way up to pistols and stuff like that. However, a group of colonizers some across his now formidable lab, and go back to their *village?* and tell the others of some *evil wizard?*. They all arm themselves with pitchforks and torches and make their way to Turners place. He sees them coming and gets scared. he doesn't want to hurt them, but he is pretty sure they don't want to hear any excuses. so he gears up and heads towards them, trying to explain that he doesn't mean any harm... they don't listen and start attacking. *major battle*. after killing everybody, turner goes back to his layer. he feels awful killing all those innocent people, but how will he ever get any one to listen? After thinking about what to do, he remembers a friend he used to hang out with. he had forgotten all about here after his family died, maybe she would understand. after selecting his best tools and weapons to take along, he started out on his journey. after walking *perhaps driving crude vehicle?* for quite some time, Turner sees a village. He hasn't been having a lot of luck finding food and such, and decides that he would just leave his stuff somewhere, buy some food, and rest a little. so he hides his weapons and tools *somewhere nearby* and goes into town. after *working for money/food or already has money to buy?*, he heads back to where his stuff was. its not there. after looking for a while, he hears screaming from the village (remind you of L1?) and runs back. a pack of wolves have stolen his stuff and attacked the villiage! *another major battle*. a few of the wolves escaped with most of your items and made it back to their *bigger pack?*. this makes Turner feel incredibly stupid. how could he have just left his stuff unattended!?! well, he had to do something, because the wolves were already beginning to figure out how your guns work, and would start trying to reproduce them. You go back to your place and find it empty as well. apparently a couple of the villagers survived and came back to take the rest of your stuff! Now Turner is determined to get all of the weapons from both sides and destroy them before the wolves and rabbits kill themselves off completely. *main part of game*.

I still haven't figured out how Turners friend ties into the story, but im pretty sure Ovaltine will think of something. :)

ps: its late at night and i'm not going to proof read this. if you have any complaints, please don't include grammatical errors.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:45 am

Heh heh heh, ok sleepy head. Let's just see if we can get a moderator to put your post in its appropriate location. I think its time for you to get some rest now.
By the way, that sounds like a great story, not an actual game scenario (of course). But, it has great potential in being a unique mod in Lugaru 2 (If you know how to do that type of thing). All else, That could be a pretty interesting story we can, you can add to (I don't think I'm qualified for that type of thing). It'd be interesting to see or fully describe the kind of makeshift weapons you are talking about.
Please delete this post if the above post is moved or something.

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:51 pm

But, it has great potential in being a unique mod in Lugaru 2 (If you know how to do that type of thing)
I doubt it, since I would probably need access to the game engine to add recourses for the game to use as well as specify bullet speed and those sort of things. I also have no idea what language(s) the engine is written in, not that it matters since I only know 3 commands in C++.

EDIT: oh, and sry for putting this in the wrong thread.

Homocidal Ham

Post by Homocidal Ham » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:52 pm

please stop!!!
I posted this topic because I clicked new topic intead of post reply,
i was trying to talk on another thread (I forget which one)

javascript:emoticon(':x')