improving the control system

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Instant

improving the control system

Post by Instant » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:26 pm

How do you think the lugaru control system could be improved?

- Making use of the right mouse button

- Less functions per key:
in lugaru 1 for instance, the shift key could be used to crouch, roll, flip, tackle, leg-kick etc, which is a good thing because it makes the control more intuitive and simple, but it could create some unwanted situations, like tackling an enemy instead of rolling at them, standing up and flip-kicking.
Hope you see what I mean.

- If holding a weapon (eg. knife), one additional attack key, to decide wether to attack with your hands/feet or with the weapon. If holding a two-handed weapon, this would add an additional attack (great use for the 2nd mouse button)

- *your idea here...*

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:45 pm

If you're having difficulty with the context-based intuitive control system, you're inept.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:15 pm

I agree. The control system is one of the main things about the game that should be altered as little as possible. It is, overall, flawless.

Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:43 pm

Agreed, the whole reason Lugaru rocked, was because it was so fluid with very little keys to memorize.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:11 pm

Also, you CAN change the controls if you want to. I set the throw button to my right-click.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:08 pm

He didn't say it was difficult.

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:18 pm

And I didn't say that he did.
I implied it. Just as he did.

But the fact of the matter remains:
There is nothing wrong with the controls. David's controls make the connection between player and avatar seamless. This is an ideal situation. Killing this seamless connection kills one of the major aspects that make Lugaru what it is.
If there were an option to let the player customize all the controls and key combinations, fine. But that's just putting more work on David's shoulders.
Hence, assuming that he won't add this feature, and within the bounds of the argument of "keep the controls simple" versus "add to and adjust them," I argue for keeping them as they are.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:55 pm

Fournine wrote: If there were an option to let the player customize all the controls and key combinations, fine. But that's just putting more work on David's shoulders.
But Lugaru already lets your change the controls if you want. Or were you implying something else?

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:04 am

I was thinking of something like, "hit shift and right-click" to do a Leg-cannon versus the usual "run + shift + left-click" so the actual button-combinations yield something different.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:59 am

Control customizing is essential.

Instant

Post by Instant » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:51 am

In fact I was suggesting to find a way to extend the possibilities, while remaining simple and intuitive and eliminating the possibilities of misunderstandings between me and my keyboard.

I had great fun finding out the possibilities on the current system, but I think that the better you get, the more you are capable of handling several keys at once.

So I suggest that the control system should remain easy for beginners but offering more possibilities to the advanced player (eg using that right mouse button as an additional attack function, not just remapping the attack/jump/crouch/whatever key).

Don't be so easily offended, I'm just making some simple suggestions, I'm not attacking the lugaru control system, and I'm not some evil guy who wants to put work on poor David's shoulders

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:18 am

Maybe an option to select, for example, Basic Controlling (for the beginner) or Advanced Controlling (for the skilled).

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:15 pm

I see what you mean, e.g. how in Quake 3 it defaults to "auto switch to the weapon you just ran over" but as you get better, you eventually bind each weapon to a separate key. I haven't found myself limited by the standard controls in Lugaru 1 so much, but when Lugaru 2 comes around with a much more robust fighting system, that might be a sweet feature.