No female characters planned?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Endoperez

Re: No female characters planned?

Post by Endoperez » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:16 am

Whittacker wrote:Wow.
Just wow.
Yeah, that game is a particularly bad example of that. 8)

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:54 am

Cube wrote:If you find a place with animals that walk and 2 legs and wear armor....Tell me where it is and what kind of armor they are wearing.... and I will like move there and run away from human society as soon as possible when found.
I don't know of any such society, but I assure you they would probably wear armor that protects them. That's kinda the entire porpoise of armor. Maybe if they wore armor to look sexy it would look like... well.. you know... but protective armor should look protective...

I would have thought this would be easy to figure out.

Ere Was I wrote:Image
If she was wearing protective armor, a slice/stab to the chest or belly might not kill her, having deflected the knife/sword/whatever. The 'armor' she's wearing in the picture however offers no protection and she would be killed or fatally wounded. But for god's sakes you've gotta protect those breasts because they're the most important and useful part of a female, right guys? =/

Also: You know those games that have those people with giant space marine suits to protect them? Imagine if the males got that kind of armor and the females got... well... something similar to what's pictured above. That's kinda unfair. Females deserve just as much armor as the big burly space grunt people do.

EDIT: In overgrowth you could have female armors seem more feminine depending on the species. Cats for example might have cloth/silk hanging from the armor to look more elegant or something, especially in motion.

This topic might be worth hearing more abooot from Aubrey/Ninjas

Disco Science

Post by Disco Science » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:23 am

Ozymandias wrote:Cats for example might have cloth/silk hanging from the armor to look more elegant or something, especially in motion.
Mmm, yummy cloth physics. :D

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:21 am

Om nom nom nom nom

I am referring, of course, to large bacon strips hanging form their clothes. Bacon physics.

Nekros22

Post by Nekros22 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:00 am

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, OP.

While it's true that sex sells, turning this game into some hypersexualized furry fantasy is a waste of potential (not to mention that there are fans who will do this anyway).

Having a female character is perfectly fine, but I think the suspension of belief that comes with talking ninja rabbits extends well into anatomy. Clothing, proportion changes, and voice acting will be sufficient to distinguish genders.

hcp111

Post by hcp111 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:56 am

I think all in all hat the wolfire team have planned for female characters is really good and I really love the painting of the rabit priestess but I do think it was definatly lack breasts. Becouse although I completely agree that female characters shouldnt be over sexualized I definatly think on a completely natural level that when a player sees a character with breasts they instantly think female even if there not fixated on the size. Plus I was thinking if not brests and almost no clothes then maybe draw more attention to the eyes for example more pronounced eyelashes or larger eyes or maybe even a small amount of eye makeup nothing over the top but maybe subtle eye liner? Just my thoughts on the subject. And all in all I am really exited about overgrowth I loved lugru and watching the alpha updates and now the art overviews has become a weekly must for me. Xx

Whittacker

Post by Whittacker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:43 am

We're having all the female features except breasts. It seems the the community and the developers are are bit nervous to put boobs on anthros. But really, if the devs dont do it, someone in the community will. So why not have it done first, and probably better, by the devs and as vanilla content?

Qaz

Post by Qaz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:39 pm

This is what I imagine whenever I notice this thread. NSFW! boobs, nipples, horror.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:02 am

because that would alienate potential customers reticent about buying the game for fear of furry content, if there's a mod for it nobody cares.

Whittacker

Post by Whittacker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:14 am

Pfffft, didn't seem to stop Star Fox from being popular.

Or maybe all the fans are furries.
DAMNIT.

But I'm sure there are other examples.

Cadrega

Post by Cadrega » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:23 am

To me it's a simple matter of the art direction trying to be similar to Lugaru, with the character being anthropomorphic animals that look very animal-like, and not too much anthro.

Whittacker wrote:for fear of furry content
It's a game with intelligent animals that can walk and wear clothes. It has "furry" content in it simply by existing. :roll:

Yes, it's a technicality. I like technicalities. :lol:

hcp111

Post by hcp111 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:31 am

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 am

Would you be so kind as to leave those kind of games to the Randomness forum?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Whittacker wrote:Pfffft, didn't seem to stop Star Fox from being popular.

Or maybe all the fans are furries.
DAMNIT.

But I'm sure there are other examples.
Starfox's best days were before Adventures. Adventures was a decent game, and that's a biased opinion because I know about Dinosaur Planet, but it was not the best of the series, nor was Assault.
I wanted one foor the Wii with less Krystal and love story, and more good-gameplay action. But nope. Perfect platform for an awesome revival of the Starfox series, and no. We get Wii Sports.

This thread is ridiculous. I'm going to play David here.
OG will not ever have huge boobs just because sex sells games. It cheapens the experience and is stupid. The only reason they would be added is to help differentiate gender, and they would be very minimal. Even thus, they are not likely as there are better, more creative and more interesting ways to display gender. Using more subtle means also allows the cultures to be developed more intricately.
This thread can die because it's ridiculous. And it's slipping into Randomness-esque material and people repeating the same things.

Doggyhugger

Post by Doggyhugger » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:10 pm

I agree with the furry-haters. I love doggies, but not the way this thread suggests. :lol:
Plus most animals have several offspring per birth and therefore multiple mammarial glands.
I would HATE to see that. X(