Is it just me or do these games need a place to fool around?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Zantalos
The Postman

Is it just me or do these games need a place to fool around?

Post by Zantalos » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:39 pm

Lugaru is great, the story was nice, the moves were fluid, and the physics were outstanding. I hope I'm not the only one who spent their time in the first levels, rolling through the air and smashing down from the high cliff. I mean jeeze, those blood stains on Turner's fur were awsome! It was fun just piling up dead bunnies, arm over arm, even lighting them on fire or sending their bodies flying off a high point with the crouching punch combo. The trouble was, all this had to be done in "peaceful" levels or, you had to ignore the last enemies if you wanted time to experiment with objects and their surroundings. Whenever the enemies were killed, you'd go to the next area and kill those enemies, there was hardly any room for rest until you mananged to get yourself stuck at a particulary hard level and had to memorize the whole area in order to effectively beat it. Luckily, gameplay was so intuitive that killing things and getting stuck at hard points made this game so addicting. But in the end, I think it would be better to have to push a certain key to proceed to the next level or get to a target location. In my opinion all these games need to have this, with the anticipated sequel and real time weather and dynamic skies, it'd be a shame to force players round through round without giving them a chance to smell the flowers.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:00 am

If all goes as planned then Lugaru 2 will not have any discrete levels as such, so this should not be a problem :)

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:22 am

Excelent, can't wait for such a game to happen. I mean, it's the mother of all games.
This is such a great forum, a great forum to a great site. I've never been so hooked into a forum before but this actually makes you feel like your apart of history in the making. When we get older and you guys get commended for all your work, we forum members can actually say, "Hey, I knew these guys, I knew a famous person."
*Tear*
ha ha joking guys I'm not gay (this is in no way implied to be offensive to the gay community).

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:50 am

And I can fondly remember the times I'd make David's Mac crash twice a day. Because he didn't use "Freeblock" to free up memory. *grins*
And you're right - exploration and the like are fun. GTA3's sandbox-style gameplay added a lot to it; I think Lugaru could benefit from a similar freedom of movement and pacing.

Zantalos
The Postman

maybe an all-purpose pick up button

Post by Zantalos » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:57 am

Speaking of which, Lugaru is going to have alot more "slower" moves, based on developing images we've seen. He's been sitting down as if he's going to eat at a table, their have been designs for ropes that Turner can grab, there might even be a food factor for all the edible objects being created. It seems to me like we're gonna need a more open "grab button" or a "use button." Simple keys are good, while I haven't even heard mention of upcoming controls yet, an all around key that could be used to grab objects would be neat, as before it would include picking up weapons, but also it could be used for moving a chair, repositioning a crate, even picking up bodies (a use key could be implemented for sitting down, eating, maybe using the ropes with a secondary button). Bodies are super fun to pick up, I've only seen it done in games like Deus-ex, Red Faction, and of course Metal Gear Solid but, while entertaining, the 3rd person had used only animated effects, while the FPS had used a purely animated character to pick up and throw fully ragdoll bodies. It'd be nice to know that Luguru was the first to have such a uniqueness(Hmm maybe it already has been done?). With upcoming multiplayer gametypes like kidnapping people, stealing artifacts, and nabbing gold, it seems only essentianal that there should be a multi-purpose grab button.

Nazgul11
LoTR@localhost

Post by Nazgul11 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:28 pm

Zantalos wrote:Excelent, can't wait for such a game to happen. I mean, it's the mother of all games.
This is such a great forum, a great forum to a great site. I've never been so hooked into a forum before but this actually makes you feel like your apart of history in the making. When we get older and you guys get commended for all your work, we forum members can actually say, "Hey, I knew these guys, I knew a famous person."
*Tear*
Yes, I agree. :D
Zantalos wrote:Bodies are super fun to pick up, I've only seen it done in games like Deus-ex, Red Faction, and of course Metal Gear Solid
All three of the Splinter Cell games let you pick up bodies. And its a major part of the gameplay.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:45 pm

Right you are, I've played some of the splinter cells, can't believe i forgot that. Anyways, I just think it's good to give players the option to have more fun and experiment with some of the great game mechanics, if it ties into the actual gameplay of the game, then it would only be even more fun.

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:32 am

[brief look into my sick mind]

imagine this... Turner is in a room, and piles the bodies in front of the doorway to block the enemy fom enemy anger. then kicks them all out while the enemies are in the doorway, LEAVING MASSIVE CARNAGE!!!

[/brief look into my sick mind]

Zantalos
The Postman

KO'd? Vs Dead

Post by Zantalos » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:55 am

See! That's the kind of thing I'm talking about here. That sounds really cool, (better than stacking bodies) and it's not even that sadistic. Sure, you just may have executed some potentially knocked out animals in the most fashionable way ever, but they were asking for it (No harm no foul).

Once again, this brings me to yet another question. Will there be a big difference in being knocked out, as opposed to just dead? I've played through Lugaru many times but, I've never once actually seen a KO'd guy get up after awhile. I'm pretty sure it can be done, but how long do you have to wait? I laugh every time I make Turner knock himself out with a stupid flip dive into some sand, however, this becomes annoying because there's virtually no difference to this and being flatlined. I'd love to see Turner just wake up in the middle of the night all by himself, maybe he can wake up in first person view as he gets shaken up by a nearby friendly character "Hey, Turner! Saw that dive man, that was sick! Hey... Oh jeeze are you alright, anything broken?!"
Ya, that would be awesome. You could use the rope to bind up your unconscious victims and carry them back as POWs or just some prisoners and get like a bonus or something. Anyways, will there be plans for unconsciousness in Lugaru 2?