Irk!

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
zip
lugaruguru

Irk!

Post by zip » Thu May 25, 2006 3:38 pm

This is the third incarnation of Irk, my pet non-combat map project. I lost all my work on it twice, due to a bug in Lugaru that would randomly render your map unloadable. But I felt inspired today so for the past 2 hours I've been recreating what I remembered of the map, with some adjustments.

I only have about 1/3 of it remade, but it should keep you occupied for some time. I intend to split the final level across at least 2 maps, to provide a sort of save point, and to keep the framerate up.

And yes, it is beatable.

Current Version: 0.4.2
http://zip.avara.net/wolfire/maps/irk042.zip
New in 0.4.2:
• Removed Fires from the rim of the final(for now) chimney.
• Plugged several shortcuts(thanks Silb!)
• Changed the 2nd puzzle to make it more challenging, and also require you to actually do it ;p (see shortcuts)
Last edited by zip on Fri May 26, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Thu May 25, 2006 4:22 pm

Irk was cool. I beat it in 13 seconds by breaking up the fall by walljumping on the flaming tower, then spinecrushing the guy.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Thu May 25, 2006 4:25 pm

Yeah, that route wasn't intended to be open, you skipped 70% of the map ;p
Blocked now, beta .04!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Thu May 25, 2006 5:10 pm

How do you beat it? I managed to get down and kill the rabbit, and then I went into the room with all the fire. Is that the objective?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Thu May 25, 2006 5:26 pm

Because you guys were being cheap I had to remove the walls from the bottom part of the map.
I've also begun two alternate paths you can take down.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Thu May 25, 2006 7:19 pm

You can still jump into the trees or jump off of the hollow flaming cylinder.

Edit: you can also jump onto the ramp of the flaming house and the fall won't kill you if you press shift at the right time. You can also jump off of that wall.

Edit 2: If you jump to the left of the map as far as you can with a rolling crouch jump, you can just barely land on the hills. It took me a while to do this one without dying.

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Thu May 25, 2006 11:09 pm

eeek (or 'irk', whichever you prefer)! get rid of all those trees! I can only get around 5 fps, even with all the settings turned down.

somewhat related, I can't play Lugaru in 1600 x1200 resolution, it crashes on start...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri May 26, 2006 11:17 am

I got to the ground and inside the house with the fire and the bunny outside. Is that what you have to do?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri May 26, 2006 11:48 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:I got to the ground and inside the house with the fire and the bunny outside. Is that what you have to do?
For now. Killing the bunny is like a checkpoint, they will be scattered througout the level at the ends of the challenges, when they are all dead then the game knows that you've beaten all the "puzzles".

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Fri May 26, 2006 11:50 am

The fires cripple my FPS. Luckily you can ignore them :P

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri May 26, 2006 12:21 pm

zip wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:I got to the ground and inside the house with the fire and the bunny outside. Is that what you have to do?
For now. Killing the bunny is like a checkpoint, they will be scattered througout the level at the ends of the challenges, when they are all dead then the game knows that you've beaten all the "puzzles".
Ah, so that's just the first part (did you say there was three parts?) of a series of puzzles?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri May 26, 2006 12:24 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
zip wrote:
Ah, so that's just the first part (did you say there was three parts?) of a series of puzzles?
Correct.

I don't know what's causing the very low framerate.. it isn't the fires I think, because it stays very low even when I delete them.
Even so I'm going to delete the many small fires and replace them with just a few larger ones.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Fri May 26, 2006 12:27 pm

zip wrote:I don't know what's causing the very low framerate.. it isn't the fires I think, because it stays very low even when I delete them.
Even so I'm going to delete the many small fires and replace them with just a few larger ones.
I don't know about Ipod, but for me it's the fires. If I delete them and reload the map it runs smoothly (100+ FPS, instead of 5-6).

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri May 26, 2006 2:11 pm

It seems Lugaru map editing is still quite buggy..
When I delete all the fires and trees from the map, the frame rate actually gets worse, down to 8 or so from 15.

Also, if I delete everything from the map and save, the frame rate only goes up to 20 or so when I reload. I checked the actual file.. and even though everything had been deleted, the map file still contained a ton of residual data that should /not/ be there.

I suspect it has something to do with using control-del to remove objects, since I never used that feature before(didn't know it existed, which is why I stopped mapping in the first place :p), and never had that problem before either.

The map should be blank, and yet it is 4kb(down from 5kb of full Irk map)
A real blank map should be this:

Code: Select all

BÈ  ?™š?€  ?€  ?€  ?€  ?€  ?€  D=´4B

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Fri May 26, 2006 3:18 pm

Quoting old lore from the "map making questions" thread, concerning control+delete:
Old lore wrote:-Related small detail: Technically, this doesn't delete the object from the level object array, it just replaces it with a void object. So a) if you use the regular "delete" feature back to the point where you created the control-deleted object, you'll still delete something invisible b) Don't use control-delete when you can use delete. However, delete and control-delete dont make any difference outside of the map editor (including framerates).
From what you say I was wrong about the framerates, though. Sadly.

If you split the level in several maps, would you mind keeping the fire puzzles in one place (for people like Ipod and me) ? :)

Map Editing. noun. Act of negociating with the swarm of bugs intent on taking over the level.