Irk!

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri May 26, 2006 3:27 pm

@David: Would you conisder taking some time out of your work on Lugaru 2 to fix the control-delete problem, or perhaps release the last version of the map saving source code(the one we have is horribly outdated) so we can make a void-object culler on our own?
Silb wrote: If you split the level in several maps, would you mind keeping the fire puzzles in one place (for people like Ipod and me) ? :)
What do you mean?

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Fri May 26, 2006 3:55 pm

zip wrote:
Silb wrote: If you split the level in several maps, would you mind keeping the fire puzzles in one place (for people like Ipod and me) ? :)
What do you mean?
You've mentioned you might split the level across several maps to provide a "save point" and relieve framerates. I was suggesting you tried to do the splitting in such a way that all fires end up in the same map. So people who have FPS issues with fires can still play the others.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri May 26, 2006 4:02 pm

Silb wrote:
zip wrote:
What do you mean?
You've mentioned you might split the level across several maps to provide a "save point" and relieve framerates. I was suggesting you tried to do the splitting in such a way that all fires end up in the same map. So people who have FPS issues with fires can still play the others.
Oh I see.
Well, the FPS issues are not caused by the fires, at least.. not the fires you see.
The real problem is all the objects I've ctrl-deleted.

If I ctrl-delete the fires(or EVERYTHING in the map) the frame rate actually degrades to about 8fps.
If I delete everything in the map normally, framerate gets progressively better and finally reaches it's cap(60fps).

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Fri May 26, 2006 5:21 pm

hmmmmm, just to clear it up, my screen name is actually "Lpod100", no problem though, honest mistake, lots have done it before.

also, I mentioned getting rid of the trees because i didn't see how they played any role in the level, and were therefor something that could be removed to bring up the fps. taking out the fire is also a good idea.

@zip, will you end up rebuilding the level?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri May 26, 2006 5:23 pm

lpod100 wrote:hmmmmm, just to clear it up, my screen name is actually "Lpod100", no problem though, honest mistake, lots have done it before.

also, I mentioned getting rid of the trees because i didn't see how they played any role in the level, and were therefor something that could be removed to bring up the fps. taking out the fire is also a good idea.

@zip, will you end up rebuilding the level?
The trees replaced a wall that people were jumping on when they shouldn't have.
Since there really isn't much going on at ground level yet anyway, I just removed the trees too.

The fire however is part of the gameplay and will stay, and it isn't causing the framerate problem.