sound issues mac os x demo

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
lapinelore

sound issues mac os x demo

Post by lapinelore » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:21 am

Hello,

I just downloaded the lugaru demo and I think the game is pretty rad but there is no sound with the demo, is that normal? Has anyone had any issues with the sound. Is this a normal part of the demo? No sound till you pay?

I do want to register the game but of course wont if I can't solve this issue.

Some one please help! :)

thanks.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:01 pm

I don't think anyone else has had this issue. OS version computer specs etc.?

lapinelore

Post by lapinelore » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:18 pm

mac mini 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo running os X 10.4.11

audio works fine in other applications

another weird thing about the audio for lugaru, if I enter the options menu before beginning to play, I can increase the volume to 100% (not that I can hear anything) but if I quit playing and return to the options menu, I can only increase the volume to 90% and then it skips 100% and returns back to 0. So there seems to be a serious bug with the demo for mac. I'll try redownloading if perhaps the file got corrupted somehow, but otherwise....

edit: downloading the demo again did nothing. I also looked at the troubleshooting guide that comes with the game but nothing there referred to sound issues. So I'm pretty much at a lost. Has anyone ever had any luck contacting the developer of the game for support issues?

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:55 pm

Yes. He and his brother run this board. Be patient and they'll get around to you.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:26 pm

We already talked on AIM, but I'm stumped. Hopefully someone here can figure it out.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:17 pm

Maybe god hates him?

lapinelore

Post by lapinelore » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:15 am

I knew all those pagan rituals would catch up to me one day....

edit: but seriously, can I really be the only one ever to have this problem? that is way to hard to believe

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:15 am

Possibly a really stupid and obtuse observation, buuuuuuuuuut...

Have you tried turning the speakers on? *Ducks flying heavy objects*

In all seriousness: a small player base, coupled with a massive variety of computers in the world capable of playing Lugaru (due to the technical wizardry that makes the game so low-req), I can beleive that you're the only one to experience the problem.

And don't knock us pagans - the Goddess loves us more than you!

lapinelore

Post by lapinelore » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:44 am

umm ya it ain't that, but thanks for the try....

I've pretty much gotten over it, but I'm still a little wtf if you know what I mean. I never would have guessed to have this kind of a problem. I thought maybe the unarchiving tool I was using was maybe fucking with the folder structure or something but I unarchived with three different ones (the BOM archiver, unarchiver and stuufit expander) with no results. After that didn't help I've completely given up.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:32 am

In my personal experience with computers, often the problem is extremely simple, so I tend to start with the most obvious and work my way from there. Speakers was admittedly a joke.

Another stupid question: Have you checked the config file to make sure sound is turned on?

You may have tried this one with Jeff already:

Check the Data/Sounds folder and play the .ogg files in there, as they might be corrupted. If they play alright outside the game, then I'm stumped.

lapinelore

Post by lapinelore » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:19 am

Yup I checked the config file, tried changing the value for music from 0 to 1 and 1 to 0 then entering the game and turning music on and off but that didn't work. I also tried opening a sound file at random and it played, that is to say I heard it just fine. It was a wind sfx I think. Thanks though.

lapinelore

Post by lapinelore » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:18 pm

fyi I have parallels on my computer and I installed a linux distro (ubuntu) with it and then dl the linux version of lugaru and guess what? THERE WAS SOUND. But couldn't get past the main menu screen because via the emulation or whatever the game was so slow I couldn't even move the mouse around. BUT there was sound.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:47 pm

You should get a proper graphics driver for your Linux distro then. If the game is slow, you probably just need hardware graphics acceleration, that's what drivers are for.
Visit the site of your graphics card manufacturer and search for a Linux driver.

Can't help you with your Mac problem, sorry. That's not my part of the town. *runs*

lapinelore

Post by lapinelore » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:57 pm

I think you are missing out on the ridiculousness of the situation.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:24 pm

Is Parallels some emulation software to get x86 soft going on PowerPCs? Then you may forget my suggestion.