Maps change after saving?

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Jendraz

Maps change after saving?

Post by Jendraz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:24 pm

I have a problem where after I save a map and come back to it, some objects have been moved a bit. This has so far only occurred in a map where I have a lot of wall segments lined up, usually overlapping a little bit. Some of the walls get moved a few feet to either side, and stay that way no matter how many times i re-open the map.

I would think that this means no large amounts of wall segments..but Silb has had a lot of overlapping objects in his Old Fort map. Any ideas? Or just scratch the walls?

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:28 pm

I think I got this problem once, so it's probably rare, and I don't think I found a specific fix or heard of one.

Does the problem reappear if you control-delete the misplaced walls and recreate them?

Otherwise in general a number of things can change when you save and reload a map, so you should randomly save and reload to check that things work as they are supposed to (creating a backup at the same time).

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:08 pm

I fixed the walls and saved it, and when I reopen the map the same wall section have been moved again. Maybe it's just some glitch in that portion of the map.

I'm also having some problems with fire now.. I have multiple fires in a map. Sometimes some of them work, sometimes they don't. I've tried remaking them.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:18 pm

If I were you I'd just rebuild the map elsewhere before losing more time, since it's a rare bug anyway, it's probably not worth looking for a fix (especially since there might be none).

For the fires, I seem to remember that, on some computers, and in a given map, when you reload the map, they can either:
1) always work
2) never work
3) sometimes work
and this behaviour can change when you modify and resave the map, so you'll need a combination of fiddling and luck to get to state 1.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:48 pm

Silb wrote:If I were you I'd just rebuild the map elsewhere before losing more time, since it's a rare bug anyway, it's probably not worth looking for a fix (especially since there might be none).

For the fires, I seem to remember that, on some computers, and in a given map, when you reload the map, they can either:
1) always work
2) never work
3) sometimes work
and this behaviour can change when you modify and resave the map, so you'll need a combination of fiddling and luck to get to state 1.
I'll have a go at it. Thanks.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:06 pm

I've fixed the fire problem by just replacing fires until they work.

The first problem with the walls however has come up on another map. It seems there are certain areas where objects will move in a predictable way after saving. I've tested this by using different objects, and even attempting to outwit the machine by placing the object away from where I want it to go..hoping it will move there after my save.

When I do this, the object doesn't move at all, leading me to believe it is a small area where this occurs. Doesn't seem like something that can be fixed, but it can be worked around.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:40 pm

Are you sure your objects are moving? The terrain is generated with a small amount of randomness, so it could be that the terrain itself is different, and your objects are in the same place.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:51 pm

I think he means they're moving sideways, not up and down. I don't think changes in the landscape would affect that…

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:19 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:I think he means they're moving sideways, not up and down. I don't think changes in the landscape would affect that…
Right. In this case their actually isn't any terrain, it's on a platform in the sky. I know that this box/wall is moving because it makes up a building. I also know that this moving occurs when it's placed in a specific spot.