additions to the combat system (Lugaru)

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:51 am

Whoa, that's trippy.
This is the post right before Jeff's.
Sage wrote:If bows and arrows aren't in, maybe javelins would. Would resolve the ammo problem (being able to shoot lots of bunnies without them getting close) and maybe you need to click at the right times to make the javelin go the furthest or whatever?
Forum loop!

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:25 am

Froot loop!

Xegrot

Post by Xegrot » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:27 pm

Froot Loops rock... :twisted:

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:35 am

Sorry Sage! Didn't realise you'd posted that idea before :P

Edit (on topic post - didn't want to double post):
I think this was suggested or mentioned earlier - but I'm in favour of energy/strength instead of health as such.

Your strength determines the speed and power of your blows/reversals - and acts as an automatic buffer for the auto-block.

Blocks will drain your strength and put you on the back foot; requiring a short recovery before you can attack/reverse (but you can still roll/dodge to disengage).

If as your strength wanes you will be unable to block the more powerful attacks and will get hit for full force.

Getting hit drains much more strength than blocking the hit.

Strength the majority of strength loss should be recoverable within a fight - but a certain amount of trauma is going to take additional time/sleep/food/whatever to heal. Obviously the amount of trauma would be practically none from a block and much, much more for a heavy blade or point.

Run out of strength and you pass out.

If trauma takes you into minus health you die.

Being passed out slows your strength regain but counts as rest so you can heal some trauma.

I'm sure everyone understands this: but i'm avoiding work so I'm going to take the time to do a short visual explaination below :D

Our intrepid Hero Turner is at full strength (10 points)...
Turner |00000|00000|
Blocks a hit losing a point of strength...
Turner |00000|0000_|
And is then struck hard while reeling losing 4 Strength (and taking 2 trauma)...
Turner |00000|___XX|
Turner dodges about and defeats the rebel bunny (foot+face=win) before pausing to get his breath back...
Turner |00000|000XX|
The trauma will take much longer to heal and requires calm (cannot heal during fighting). If Turner has no more opponents and stops running and jumping about the place for a bit he can heal the trauma and regain his full strength...
Turner |00000|00000|

I'm fairly certain much of the system is similar to this - but then I'm remembering bits and pieces from all over the place so i could be misinterpretting something.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:04 pm

I'm still very confused as to how knife throwing will work at all in multiplayer. There's a reason the enemies couldn't throw knives in Lugaru 1. If you have to aim at your opponent and press Shift to dodge a thrown knife, that'll be nearly impossible if it requires the kind of timing that normal reversals require, because knives fly way faster. Now if you dodge knives like bunnies do, with the back handspring, then it could work because that animation lasts a lot longer than the normal window for reversals and can be spammed.

Of course, as long as we're not talking about 1v1, 1-life duels, then knife throwing could be somewhat balanced anyway because it's basically a last resort; if someone else rolls over the corpse and grabs the knife, it's now YOUR turn to get pwnt, so you'll generally wanna keep it in your hand and use melee...at which point knives get heavily outclassed by swords and staves, so I s'pose it balances itself out that way.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:00 pm

Perhaps with attacking, if the knife comes your way you hold down attack to parry it?

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:31 am

That'd be cool, especially if you had a sword in your hand. But I don't know if attacking to protect is really in the style of Lugaru combat, especially if you're trying to reverse someone while their buddy's throwing a knife at you. Maybe if you can hold Shift to catch knives it could work even if you have to tap it for other reversals. It won't then be too easy since you still have to be aiming at the knife-thrower (assuming that's how reversals will be implemented on multiplayer; basically it's Insane mode all the time).

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:23 pm

*BUMP!*

People on the development team! Any hints as to how knife throwing is going to work in multiplayer and still be balanced?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:36 pm

Ability to endure multiple knives? Reduced accuracy? And so on. The usual.

I'm not dev, just a wild guess.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:53 pm

Multiple knives? Like the AI in Lugaru 1? That would fricking pwn if you could rip knives out of yourself and use them like the AI does. When you're out of weapons and you press Q to pick up a weapon, you remove whatever's imbedded in you. ^_^

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:44 am

Ultimatum479 wrote:That would fricking pwn...
I'm going to ignore EVERYTHING else you said and give you a lecture about PWN3AGE. See... you cant just write "pwn" and expect it to have all of it's potential *MMMFF*, ok?? You have to write it in CAPITALS with a 3 where the E in PWN3 is supposed to be. PWN3AGE is the word for when you are delivering it at the time (or in present time). PWN3D is the past tense of PWN3AGE. Get it, noob?

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:18 am

I don't think PWN3AGE is spelt correctly. Did you do that just to get a chance to fit a 3 in?

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:28 am

Ultimatum you're fine, don't say PWN3AGE. There is no 3 in pwnage and typing it in capital letters with a random number three in it completely defeats the purpose of substituting "super ownage" for a word that takes even longer to write down, pwnt.

Urban Dctionary wrote:1337

Once used by the hacker community as sort of a sub-culture language, ANYONE using this type of speak in the present day in age is either:

A) A clueless net newbie who somehow thinks its still "cool" to speak this way.

B) A veteren net user who uses it to parody the type of people mentioned in example A.

u r n0t 1337 d00d!!11
Simply tweaking knives to be more inaccurate and weak doesn't seem like a good enough solution to me. It's a good quick fix for like a patch or something, but I think for a sequel it should be seriously imprpved and redone. Giving a longer throw animation and completely changing the way throws and ninja throws are locked on to people might be a start. Maybe, instead of being able to snipe people out from any angle to you, you should have to line yourself up more like when doing the leg cannon (the enemy has to be straight in front of you while you're flipping), and giving some kind of consequence to pulling these off, like you land flat footed and pause for a second or fall on your side when you land (that's what they always do in anime videos, they do a spin, throw an object, and land skidding on their side, or they land flat and strike a pose for a few seconds while they catch themselves... Something like that).

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:45 am

I wouldn't be pissed off if knives would make the parts they hit useless, but one could still use the rest of the body. In multiplayer. Headshots count as instant kills, of course. Heartshots as well.
We all know the tech is there since David's softbody algorithm is based on voxeling the character (a method I shall use myself one day). You hit a voxel with a knife -> the rest of that voxel's body part gets ragdolled.

Lol, creeping Silb, trying to get up with his stick. In multiplayer. Would make a good movie.

In multiplayer.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:23 am

I think there should be head shots, but not from the back of the head as a knife I believe would be hard to penetrate the scull, Unless some body wants to prove to me otherwise.

I have seen a knife go in some ones chin and out the sides of there cheeks. I do know that bone can be broken, but is extremely hard to slice unless you have a blade well sharpened and designed for the job.