Lugaru in Lecture

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Lugaru in Lecture

Post by Vib Rib » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:28 am

I'm taking a class called "Foundations of Game Theory" down at my Uni. The other day someone was demoing the game "Oni" and stated (of its run-around-in-third-person-using-melee-combat system) that he didn't know of any other games that had done it before or since.
In response, some other guy raised his hand and said "There's a game like that that's been released since... uh, it's called 'Lugaru', and... well I think it's like, a lot better than Oni..."
He was asked to repeat the name and I could see a bunch of people on their laptops go to look it up online.

The comparison had occurred to me as well, but I hadn't thought to say anything about it.

Guess it's a good indicator of popularity, hm?

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:05 am

:D

That being said, what does Oni have to do with Game Theory?

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:14 am

I'm not familiar with Oni, but if it is like Lugaru then it can be related to Game Theory by the anticipation of moves.

In one-on-one Lugaru combat each player (in a 2 person Game both participants are called players, so here one is AI) can act or react to another player's actions. Given a player's certain action, it will be in the interest of the other player to act or react accordingly. If first player knows this, so will change his actions. The second player may know this, so he will tailor his actions accordingly. And so on.

So there may be an optimal style of play for both players. For example one equilibrium may be to stand and wait for the other to act first, if both are aware of the other's presence.

Game Theory is always applicable in situations with more than one player who each has more than one option available to them, and the option any player takes has implications for the options made by other players in the Game.

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:37 pm

Uh -- actually, Game Theory is a class about video games.

So... that would be why.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:56 pm

*cracks up*

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:15 pm

ROFL

I guess that's what a degree in Economics gets me... I see economic theory in everything.

Ah well. Game Theory is fun.

/me slaps himself.

Ovaltine
Over-enthusiastic zoo patron

Post by Ovaltine » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:00 am

This comparison just made me realize the what is missing from Lugaru...

Lugaru needs more sex appeal!

This deserves a thread.