Lugaru on Intel Mac

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
toshiro

Post by toshiro » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:43 pm

[quote=Lugaruman100]Intel Core Duo 1.8 ghz or faster.[/quote]

Since it will be an Universal Binary application, that bit is wrong.

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:55 pm

toshiro wrote:Since it will be an Universal Binary application, that bit is wrong.
Not really.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:38 pm

toshiro wrote:
Lugaruman100 wrote:Intel Core Duo 1.8 ghz or faster.
Since it will be an Universal Binary application, that bit is wrong.
Not really, since the topic is "Lugaru(2) on Intel Mac".

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:51 pm

Lugaruman100 wrote:
zip wrote:Yes, but the ATI 9700 is a pretty old card, giving old cards a lot of RAM doesn't improve their performance much.
So you think that I said by adding more ram to a card such as a ati radeon 9700 Lugaru 2 or one of your favorite games F.E.A.R would run nice and smooth? NO! , my statement was a card such as that would be able to run it on low settings ! The ATI radeon 9700 may be pretty old but the card has technology that can run games that require features that I said above. On a side note you got cards like the radeon 9800 (which is pretty much a slighty more powerful 9700).
That actually is what I thought you meant, sorry :P

erazorhead

Post by erazorhead » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:16 pm

Well, I'm not coding the game, but I have no reason to think you couldn't play it on a fast G5 as well as any of the new intel machines. Those dual- and quad-core G5 desktops are fast, believe me. FWIW.

As for the whole team signing a copy, that's an awesome idea, but the team is pretty spread out. Your best hope is probably something signed by David.

The Dead Herring

Post by The Dead Herring » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:32 pm

Lugaruman100 wrote:Predicts system requirements for the macintosh version....

Mac OS 10.4 or higher.
Intel Core Duo 1.8 ghz or faster.
256 mb vram card ATI Radeon 9700/Geforce FX 5700 or better.
768 mb of RAM.
5 GB of free disk space.
Personaly I find that hard to believe.

One of the greatest things about Lugaru (Apart from the inspired combat system) is the fact that you can play it on almost any system that can run OS10 or XP.

As Lugaru2 will be the predessor to 1 I don't think that it will demand that much power.

As for 5GB of Free disk space, no way! I don't know about you but i havn't seen any games that need that much space.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:37 pm

The Dead Herring wrote:As Lugaru2 will be the predessor to 1 I don't think that it will demand that much power.
Huh, first of all predessor isn't a word, but if you mean predecessor like I am assuming your statement still is incorrect. Lugaru 2 is the sequal to Lugaru (1), not the predecessor.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:14 pm

The Dead Herring wrote: As for 5GB of Free disk space, no way! I don't know about you but i havn't seen any games that need that much space.
F.E.A.R uses 4.93gb
LOTR BFME II uses 3.99gb

By the time L2 is out we will be seeing 5gb games, though whether L2 will be that large..

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:15 pm

bob wrote:
The Dead Herring wrote:As Lugaru2 will be the predessor to 1 I don't think that it will demand that much power.
Huh, first of all predessor isn't a word, but if you mean predecessor like I am assuming your statement still is incorrect. Lugaru 2 is the sequal to Lugaru (1), not the predecessor.
Sequel even? :P

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:10 pm

zip wrote:
The Dead Herring wrote: As for 5GB of Free disk space, no way! I don't know about you but i havn't seen any games that need that much space.
F.E.A.R uses 4.93gb
LOTR BFME II uses 3.99gb

By the time L2 is out we will be seeing 5gb games, though whether L2 will be that large..
Unreal Tournament 2004 needs 5GB. But there are other games that reach above 3GB, World of Warcraft, The Elder Scrolls IV, Final Fantasy XI, Call of Duty 2, and etc.

The Dead Herring

Post by The Dead Herring » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:39 pm

Lugaruman100 wrote:
zip wrote:
F.E.A.R uses 4.93gb
LOTR BFME II uses 3.99gb

Unreal Tournament 2004 needs 5GB. But there are other games that reach above 3GB, World of Warcraft, The Elder Scrolls IV, Final Fantasy XI, Call of Duty 2, and etc.
I stand corrected, however. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I don't think Lugaru2 is going to be as mainstream as any of those titles that you mentioned. Also, if it is going to be distributed over the net in the same fashion as Lugaru 1, you can see how that will be inpractical.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:50 pm

Lugaru was not a simple program that was meant for every computer. 2 years ago was a long time, before the next generation games we've been seeing now. Most games had not even used the effects of Ragdoll physics.
Lugaru was pretty state of the art, it will continue to stay that way until Lugaru 2 surpasses it. There were options to tune down the game, but it wasn't the same, you had to play the game with high resolution, blood, decals, damage effects and velocity blurs turned on to the max.
Likewise, Lugaru 2 will be that much more as good as the first. It will be made for the top of the line computers, that doesn't mean David is just trying to take over your CPU usage. He is creating algorithims to help with this, and there will be things to turn down, like in all games.

I agree, Lugaru 2 will not need a whole 5 GB of space. You may set a bit aside for saved games, mods, extra maps and the such, but I don't think that will amount to that much. Lugaru 2 (and 1) doen't use basic animations, it is very physics based so less room will be needed to create those effects. Also, I don't think there will be that much unnecessary scripted events and huge cinamatic effects designed by big company crews that are very unneeded in terms of fun.
Also, I'm not even sure if Lugaru 2 will be downloaded, it could be (Their are plans for a demo as always), I'm not sure you would. Since Lugaru 2 will be sold in stores I think haveing the respective box and case would be alot better.

Nazgul11
LoTR@localhost

Post by Nazgul11 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:15 am

Yeah, it will be neat to have a box. I even like the idea of a collectors box, or special edition box.
zip wrote:F.E.A.R uses 4.93gb
LOTR BFME II uses 3.99gb

Yes, I agree. Maybe even before Lugaru 2 comes out we will be seing more games that take amounts of disk space like that.

Oh, and zip, do you have BFME II? I pre-ordered the collectors edition and have been playing the game since march 2nd. (release date) Pretty good game. 8)

EDIT: I just randomly took a look at the bottom of my BFME II collectors ed box, and it says "Hard Drive: 6.0 GB or more free space". Then I checked c:\Program Files\Electronic Arts, and sure enough the folder for the game takes up more than 5gb. (probably 6 when you count the extra needed room for saved games, match recordings, and other files in different locations)

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:21 am

Zantalos wrote:Lugaru was not a simple program that was meant for every computer. 2 years ago was a long time, before the next generation games we've been seeing now. Most games had not even used the effects of Ragdoll physics.
Lugaru was pretty state of the art, it will continue to stay that way until Lugaru 2 surpasses it. There were options to tune down the game, but it wasn't the same, you had to play the game with high resolution, blood, decals, damage effects and velocity blurs turned on to the max.
Likewise, Lugaru 2 will be that much more as good as the first. It will be made for the top of the line computers, that doesn't mean David is just trying to take over your CPU usage. He is creating algorithims to help with this, and there will be things to turn down, like in all games.
L1 was not state of the art.. it looks good. Not "holy shit wow good", but "hey thats pretty nice" good. And not bad either, just.. good.
It also had very serious slowdown issues with (seemingly) collision detection, making it almost impossible to construct any sort of complex geometry.
Zantalos wrote: I agree, Lugaru 2 will not need a whole 5 GB of space. You may set a bit aside for saved games, mods, extra maps and the such, but I don't think that will amount to that much. Lugaru 2 (and 1) doen't use basic animations, it is very physics based so less room will be needed to create those effects. Also, I don't think there will be that much unnecessary scripted events and huge cinamatic effects designed by big company crews that are very unneeded in terms of fun.
Relating to animation, that isn't what takes up most of the space in games.
Lets look at Lugaru, textures make up most of the game data, followed by sounds and models, and maps are a tiny fraction of the game data.
As for "huge cinematic effects" are you referring to pre-rendered cutscenes?

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:50 am

Oh yeah, the animations would not take up any room. The things that take up so much space are the very high detailed textures, skins and sounds, like you said.
Ya pre-rendered cutscenes and the like, a small minute clip can take over about 30 megabytes (Lugaru is about 27 MB). I dunno how games like these can take up so much space, I mean why does Battlefield 2 take 5 CDs and use patches that rake up to 376 Mega Bytes?

Lugaru wasn't top of the line? Maybe not, but to this day I've never used a computer that was able to run this game with the highest settings (I got very close), before getting hit with a bunch of flying lag. Is this just because of the game? Not sure, I don't think so. I really know that I definitely could not have been able to play this game using 2 year old computers that I had been using when Lugaru came out(Is that right? two years?). I guess I'm not sure if I would call it top of the line, but this game definitely requires high end computer systems to run it proper.