Lugaru on Intel Mac

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Nazgul11
LoTR@localhost

Post by Nazgul11 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:54 am

Zantalos wrote:Lugaru wasn't top of the line? Maybe not, but to this day I've never used a computer that was able to run this game with the highest settings (I got very close), before getting hit with a bunch of flying lag. Is this just because of the game? Not sure, I don't think so. I really know that I definitely could not have been able to play this game using 2 year old computers that I had been using when Lugaru came out(Is that right? two years?). I guess I'm not sure if I would call it top of the line, but this game definitely requires high end computer systems to run it proper.
Hmm, I was able to run Lugaru on the highest settings, using my old 1.3ghz system. And I would have a great frame rate. Same with my new system that I built, but I guess thats kinda expected, since its awesome! :twisted: hehe

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:47 pm

Zantalos wrote: Lugaru wasn't top of the line? Maybe not, but to this day I've never used a computer that was able to run this game with the highest settings (I got very close), before getting hit with a bunch of flying lag. Is this just because of the game? Not sure, I don't think so. I really know that I definitely could not have been able to play this game using 2 year old computers that I had been using when Lugaru came out(Is that right? two years?). I guess I'm not sure if I would call it top of the line, but this game definitely requires high end computer systems to run it proper.
Lack of performance != Graphical Quality.
And my 933mhz Quicksilver G4 which was not top of the line when Lugaru 1 was still in beta could run it on highest res and detail just fine.

The Dead Herring

Post by The Dead Herring » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:26 pm

Nazgul11 wrote:Yeah, it will be neat to have a box. I even like the idea of a collectors box, or special edition box.
zip wrote:F.E.A.R uses 4.93gb
LOTR BFME II uses 3.99gb

By the time L2 is out we will be seeing 5gb games, though whether L2 will be that large..
Yes, I agree. Maybe even before Lugaru 2 comes out we will be seing more games that take amounts of disk space like that.

Oh, and zip, do you have BFME II? I pre-ordered the collectors edition and have been playing the game since march 2nd. (release date) Pretty good game. 8)

EDIT: I just randomly took a look at the bottom of my BFME II collectors ed box, and it says "Hard Drive: 6.0 GB or more free space". Then I checked c:\Program Files\Electronic Arts, and sure enough the folder for the game takes up more than 5gb. (probably 6 when you count the extra needed room for saved games, match recordings, and other files in different locations)

Either way, you got my purchase!

Nazgul11
LoTR@localhost

Post by Nazgul11 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:06 am

The Dead Herring wrote:Either way, you got my purchase!
You mean Lugaru 2 right? Not BFMEII. :P

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:07 am

Are you guys serious? I'm playing on a computer that can easily run F.E.A.R. and Battlefield 2 with no problem. 2 years ago, hell no ( I know, those game weren't even out yet). But when I try to play Lugaru with high options and the ultra-high resolution, the game catches up alot. Particulary when I'm doing some "ragdoll landings," the frames jump a little and miss the parts where I'm suppose to roll, get up, or hit the top of a wall. Also, it skips the animations whenever I try to throw a knife into some dudes back as a cartwheel away. Oh yeah, I can play the game, just with a resolution of the recomended 800 by 600.

With all these special effects like blood flow, leaf folliage, jump slowmotions, image stretching like velocity blur, I'm not suprised that the game would run a bit faster than the computer. Then again, I don't know much about computers, anything can be making the game lag up. I mean, why can't I play Farcry (2004) with optimal settings, when I can easily play Call of Duty 2 with no problem at all.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:00 am

There are performance problems if there's too much blood around, that's all I can say. It doesn't matter how hot your box is, it'll slow down if you place 8 bunnies at one place and make them all explode.

howwitty

Post by howwitty » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:12 am

Zantalos wrote:Are you guys serious? I'm playing on a computer that can easily run F.E.A.R. and Battlefield 2 with no problem. 2 years ago, hell no ( I know, those game weren't even out yet). But when I try to play Lugaru with high options and the ultra-high resolution, the game catches up alot. Particulary when I'm doing some "ragdoll landings," the frames jump a little and miss the parts where I'm suppose to roll, get up, or hit the top of a wall. Also, it skips the animations whenever I try to throw a knife into some dudes back as a cartwheel away. Oh yeah, I can play the game, just with a resolution of the recomended 800 by 600.

With all these special effects like blood flow, leaf folliage, jump slowmotions, image stretching like velocity blur, I'm not suprised that the game would run a bit faster than the computer. Then again, I don't know much about computers, anything can be making the game lag up. I mean, why can't I play Farcry (2004) with optimal settings, when I can easily play Call of Duty 2 with no problem at all.
I don't know about some of those things, like missing due to a bug... but I have gotten stuck inside a platform twice in one day. But only that day :D

It was pretty funny to see the little red triangle go all around, on top of me. I think we were both pretty confused. What was interesting is that it made it look like 1st person, you couldn't see Turner (or the platform), only the landscape (and a bunny briefly whenever he went in front of me).

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:13 am

easymode ftl. go intense

The Dead Herring

Post by The Dead Herring » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:09 pm

Zantalos wrote:Are you guys serious? I'm playing on a computer that can easily run F.E.A.R. and Battlefield 2 with no problem. 2 years ago, hell no ( I know, those game weren't even out yet). But when I try to play Lugaru with high options and the ultra-high resolution, the game catches up alot. Particulary when I'm doing some "ragdoll landings," the frames jump a little and miss the parts where I'm suppose to roll, get up, or hit the top of a wall. Also, it skips the animations whenever I try to throw a knife into some dudes back as a cartwheel away. Oh yeah, I can play the game, just with a resolution of the recomended 800 by 600.

Thats weird, perhaps there are some minor Windows compatibility issues. Seeing as the game was orginally coded on a Mac. My G5 runs BF1942 pretty well on medium settings. It only suffers at little when playing some of the more complex user created maps.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:41 pm

that is actually very possible. I have a mac laptop and a windows desktop (windos box is new) and the mac laptop runs the game just as well, if not slightly better than the vastly superior windows desktop, I mean it is a desktop afterall. This could also be due to the superiority of Mac technology.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:43 pm

bob wrote:This could also be due to the superiority of Mac technology.
Nah.. I think it's the optimization :P

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:42 pm

Good news guys, I accidently discovered my problem. Ya, the computer could easily play this game with everything turned up, to the MAX. However, the reason for the problem was found in the config. I turned pretty much everything on except for, debug mode, float jump and, show points.
It turns out, the problem was my favorite effect of all, velocity blur. I almost always have this thing on because... it just looks so cool. And recently, I got this really awsome effect that made it so the game would go slowmotion every time I jumped in the air and did a somersault (I actually later discovered that it would go awesome on me whenever I'd reach the peak of my jump). I was all like, now THAT is an awesome Matrix effect, wizzoh! the hell is wizzoh?
And for some reason, for this effect to happen, the game would have to make it "look" like you had slowed down, while the rest of the game went normal speed. This caused me to 'skip' forward, and miss some of my animation shots. I'm not sure why this happens because normally, the screen kind of blurs, while it stretches back, not pulling a Matrix on me at the same time (though I really liked that effect anyways, despite the skip up).
So really, the game is optimized quite well. Delivering some awesome effects with no actual lag up. And, I may be wrong, but are they doing this in Lugaru 2? I think it's part of the HDR and motion blur, cept this one is going to look sick ass. Am I right? Can't wait. Image

breakthebarrier

Post by breakthebarrier » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:58 pm

So am i not going to be able to play Lugaru 2 on my 1.6ghz iMac g5?

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:00 pm

Please change your avatar, it's stretching the forums.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:46 am

breakthebarrier wrote:So am i not going to be able to play Lugaru 2 on my 1.6ghz iMac g5?
I disabled your avatar because it was way too big.

We don't know what the specs for L2 are going to be yet. It probably can be run on the iMac, although you may have to turn down some graphics options.