How to: Kill Wolves

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:15 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I hate people who call themselves hackers. I just hate them.
How about people who call others hackers? How about hackers who don't call themselves hackers? :P

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Mon May 01, 2006 5:17 am

Nice video, Silb. Glad you're using yourfilelink instead of rapidshare, too.:D

But how did you get the wolves when they aren't downwind yet? I've been able to spinecrush them all, too, but I needed to wait for the white wolf to turn again so he was downwind. Nice job, though, and again, couldn't do it if I tried.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Mon May 01, 2006 8:31 am

I cant ever recall Silb calling himself a hacker.

Also, there's nothing bad in hacking. It's the way some do it that's bad.

*Finaly a chance to see clip*

JLrep

Post by JLrep » Fri May 26, 2006 9:13 am

I'm surprised no one's pointed out one of the simplest ways to kill a wolf, which is simply to crouch-kick them and stab them while they're on the ground (either with a knife or sword). You have to do it very quickly, but it's the kind of thing you can try a bunch of times.

I beat Lugaru over a year ago, and just recently got back into it (I'm at the level with three wolves)... and I remember that I eventually beat the last levels of the campaign using a lot of Rabbit-Kicks, but from what I've just been playing, I now remember that it's basically impossible to Rabbit-Kick a wolf unless he's in the middle of a jump.

I always had a lot of fun both with wolves and rabbits, jumping far off a high hill, letting them jump after me, and then Rabbit-Kicking them in mid-air, when they couldn't dodge or counter it. The only problem with those is most of the time they tend to register as "Heavy Impact!" and do a ton of damage to you, as well.

Oh, and throwing a knife at a wolf and then yanking it out has never killed one for me. I always end up taking it out and throwing it at them again. :P

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri May 26, 2006 4:39 pm

Yes, if you take out the knife by hitting Q only, he won't die. It's actually the safe way the Computers do it to themsleves (taking knives out of themselves). To kill them, you have to make the grab reckless, roll over or handpring over their body while you yank it out.

I've never been able to rabbit kick a mid-air opponent, I've tried to a couple times but gave up after thinking it was impossible. Thanks for clearing that up! Normally, to rabbit kick a wolf, just jump straight up in the air, do a flip (which will cause anybody looking at you to be stunned for a few seconds), land and then cannon him. They will hardly ever reverse leg cannons if they're confused, they have to completely turn around to reverse it.

JLrep

Post by JLrep » Fri May 26, 2006 6:28 pm

Huh. It's odd to think I've never thought of it. And just today I was trying to remember if you could pick up a knife by rolling over it, because, thought I, that would make it a lot easier to get out of a living wolf. Lo and behold... :P

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Fri May 26, 2006 6:38 pm

Heh, works every time. If you wonder about something logical in lugaru, chances are it happens. :wink:

smashie

Post by smashie » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:13 pm

Did I miss something? No one seems to have mentioned the simplest method possible for killing wolves. Maybe it doesn't work on insane – I admit, I almost never play on that setting.

I just knock wolves down by sweeping their legs out. Then I wait for them to get up to attack them again; if they try to roll away, I kick them like a soccer ball. If they do get straight up, there's plenty of time to stun them with a wind-up punch and then roundhouse kick them. I can usually only get one or two big attacks in before they roll out of reach, when I simply sweep their legs again. Repeat until they're dead.

It's not flashy, but it's totally reliable for me in one-on-one fights.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:04 pm

I play on easy most of the time (Hey, bashing the hell out of a few rabbits usually renders difficulty irrelevant :D) and yet I've tried that "Keep 'em unable to attack" legsweep tactic (Generally, you can't win against wolves if they ever get the chance to lay a paw on you) and they always roll out of reach before my leg gets to where they used to be when they started to roll, though it's really wonderful when they get a nice knock to the head :twisted:

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:30 pm

Yeah, my tactics have changed a lot since I wrote this topic. Now I'll usually, if I have a knife, try flip-throwing or regular throwing and then knocking them down and yanking it out. If I don't have a weapon, I'll usually double-flip to confuse them, then leg cannon them into the nearest hard place. If I'm feeling daring, I'll take them hand-to-hand. That usually involves a lot of reversals. I also like your idea of stunning them with a windup punch to stun them to get a leg cannon, smashie. That's a little harder to set up. (I usually do it in slow motion.) It works just as well, though. Yeah, there are a lot of ways to kill a wolf, heh. (Sounds a lot like "10 ways to skin a cat." :P )

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:16 pm

Sounds like my tactics, really, though I hate proving I suck (Which I don't think I actually do in Lugaru) by using slo-mo to do the oof-but-not-aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (:twisted:) punch (AKA: The wind-ed punch)

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:37 pm

Problem is, once you slit it's throat, all the other wolves surrounding it (ever seen a lone wolf in Lugaru?) will rip ya' up a new one.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:21 pm

Lone wolves in Lugaru aren't very rare. In fact if you are fighting two wolves at once you are doing things significantly harder than you should be.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:56 pm

Well ok that's true, you have to be prepared to take one in the face after doing the delicate process of mid-battle stealth kills.

Then again, it also depends on how you do it. If you just do the jump, flip, and 'right after the Wolves get up after the dodge roll,' you perform the finisher, you'll probably end up sacrificing the left side of your face. However, if you jump up, do the flip, pull out your knife right before the flip ends, and then perform the execution, you'll confuse the wolves long enough to not have to worry about getting hit mid-way through the attack. Well actually, both manuevers tend to work out pretty well because they'll either be dazed for a few seconds, or they'll roll in opposite ways.

Oh, and the repeating of punches and round house kicks that Smashie was talking, works really well for me to. It's extremely easy to do going one on one with a wolf because all it is is positioning yourself certain distances close to the wolf while holding down the mouse button (and hitting shift right after almost every attack). The only problem is that at the end, you'll end up getting hits worth about 5 points, your combo will usually only get to 2-3 chains as well.

champrjk

Post by champrjk » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:02 pm

hey Skyrage if you keep your knife sheethed while you do a flip to confues the wolf they wont do a hand spring to try and avoid your knife in your hand. What i do to flip over and slith their neck is to just nump around doing flips until i get into a good postion then while flipping in the air i take out my knife. and land behind the wolf and then just slit his gullet. It makes the whole flipping and neck slitting thing a little easier. Mostly because the wolf doesnt know you are going to use the knife. If you hit the unsheeth button while flipping you should take your knife out. I hope this helps. :D It works great for me. I've beaten both the game and the new campain on insane and I find wolves no problem. The only time they bother me is when I have to take them out with just my paws. That can be very annoying and can take some time.