Lugaru Comic Strip! [7 zesty installments, story spoilers]

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:18 pm

Jeff wrote:What's wrong with being desensitized anyways?
I'm not arguing that it's bad, just that it's a fact :p

erazorhead

Post by erazorhead » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:26 pm

Vib rib, your comics are actually super funny. You have an excellent way with dialogue, and comedic timing, in particular.

Color me surprised and impressed - you certainly exceeded my expectations mightily. If I were a mod I'd split this topic into two threads, and keep the first one focused on your excellent work.

SMNMX

Post by SMNMX » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:31 pm

Vib Rib wrote:Then one day, in the middle of Animaniacs, the channel interrupted the show with a breaking news story of some guy staked out on the freeway. In front of a live camera, the guy laid out a tarp that said something along the lines of "Don't trust HMOs", then went into his truck, grabbed a shotgun, and blew his own head off.

The cameras, being live, did not cut away.
Sheesh, that's pretty fucked up. Still, I guess no one could have predicted that he'd have done that.

You make a good point, though. Understanding the line between fantasy and reality makes a huge difference on how violence affects us.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:56 pm

Any comics in the near-foreseeable future, Vib Rib?

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:53 pm

Sure. They don't take long to make, generally, I just wait until inspiration hits me.

Downside being I've recently started a part-time internship and am simultaneously running several other online projects (most of which are currently behind as well) so I'm a bit swamped.

But yes, we will have more Turner.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:05 am

Vib Rib wrote:Knowing that it isn't real doesn't keep you from being desensitized.

Yes it does.

I grew up on violent videogames. The Chainsaw in Doom was only the beginning. I enjoyed video game violence. I saw my brother play Phantasmagoria when I was young -- FMV of twisted, psychotic and explicit violence. It gave me bad dreams, but overall I was okay.

Then one day, in the middle of Animaniacs, the channel interrupted the show with a breaking news story of some guy staked out on the freeway. In front of a live camera, the guy laid out a tarp that said something along the lines of "Don't trust HMOs", then went into his truck, grabbed a shotgun, and blew his own head off.

The cameras, being live, did not cut away.

I saw a man die on live television. I was stunned and shocked and sickened, and I literally felt physically ill.
And I remember all I could think was that I had no idea the human body had so much blood in it.

I had nightmares for weeks, and I felt sick every time I remembered that guy.

And here I was supposed to be 'jaded'.
Well my Friend. you obviously have learnt the Difference between Fantasy. the Human body has an estimate 10 liters of blood.
that reminds me of my Dads book (he was in St Johns Ambulance Volunteer) he has seen some horrifying sights. people Scraping each other off the side of the Road. mind you he was a full time Farmer at the time and butchered his owen animals. apparently the humans flesh is rather close to corned beef. how the fat layers in between a mans mussels. one document that could make me pail was his Black and white book Encyclopedia of Injuries.

i can take the blood of a bunny on a Knife, a lot of puddles. but i can not seem to stomach looking at a person opened up or a any thing with out its head.

sorry if i have sickened any of you out or brought up Trauma. I just had to let that out of my system. :(

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:53 pm

Actually... it's closer to 5 liters.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:12 pm

Anything that appears on my computer screen just doesn't seem real, no matter how many polygons and how realistic it is, bunny or human, it is still on my screen, that's the way I perceive things, in their entirety (Mostly)

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:03 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:Anything that appears on my computer screen just doesn't seem real, no matter how many polygons and how realistic it is, bunny or human, it is still on my screen, that's the way I perceive things, in their entirety (Mostly)
Television is a different matter. MacGiver REALLY did that stuff! :!: :|

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:11 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:Anything that appears on my computer screen just doesn't seem real, no matter how many polygons and how realistic it is, bunny or human, it is still on my screen, that's the way I perceive things, in their entirety (Mostly)
Well no one looks at a video on a computer screen and thinks they're seeing little people trapped inside a box. (Except if they're Amish)

Luposian

Violence (computer vs. real life)

Post by Luposian » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:53 pm

Nothing comes close to realizing true gore, til you've watched a video of someone getting beheaded, in real time. The first one I saw was of Nick Berg...

For days after, I couldn't even hardly bear running a knife along the stem of a banana (to make peeling it easier), because it reminded me of that video. THAT'S how much I was affected.

I've watched a total of 3 such videos in the last couple years. The later two far more visually clear and focused (you see EVERY moment). I avoid viewing such videos now...

But, if you want other comparisons of the worst we've seen in Lugaru (or any video game) vs. "real life", just go to www.orgish.com to get your fill... if you can stomach it.

Luposian

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:51 am

Actually it's ogrish.com not orgish.com
but DON'T GO THERE!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:00 pm

yeah, that stuff makes me sick. That people actually go to that site and watch that filth. Hahahaha. Some people are fucking twisted.

But yeah, I saw a guy get hit by a car. I didn't know him or anything, I was just on the street at the time it happened. I don't know if he died or anything, but that kind of thing really shakes you up.

I almost got hit by a truck once. My friend pulled me out of the way just about five seconds or so before the truck went flying past me about a foot or two ahead of me. I was actually going to walk without looking. I still go into random bouts of thinking about that moment and replaying it over and over in my head. But enough of my rambling.

Don't do drugs.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:38 pm

if you guys want to hear Desensitized here is a true story about my Grandpa Basil.

My Dad was cutting wood out in the wood shed. he miss timed the fall of the axe whilst holing some wood in place and off with his finger tip.

that was the first time he had ever seen human "gore" as such, he grabbed the other tip and ran into the house and went to his mother and father During Breakfast.

there was my Grandpa who was reading the paper and Grandma who was finishing up with Cleaning in the kitchen.

"DAD, i Chopped off my finger" he said slightly Crying (as he was only
9-10) Grandpa put down his paper and looked at it. "Why'd ya go and do that, now we got to stitch you up" as he got a different reply from Grandma Irene (you know what that would be"AAAH!")

he got it reattached and all. but my grand pa could stomach just about anything. he did suffer the death of his brother and he did go to the war and fly in a crew of Catalonia Flying boats as navigator and Co Gunner as the main gunner always jammed the thing.

you are never truly Jaded until you are like him. He did owen a farm so he was exposed to death every day.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:41 am

A slightly darker comic: