A New Campaign!

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:48 am

I noticed April too.

Awesome campaign, awesome map design.
For how long have you been working on this?
:o

Skyrage

Post by Skyrage » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:54 am

Canyon level is bugged though - can't get past it cause of a crash - the momen the sleeping wolf awakens (I think) the game simply crashes.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:13 am

Canyon works for me, not crashing here.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:17 am

Silb wrote:Thanks for the hosting!
But David, the file you posted contains the campaign twice. :|
Oops, fixed :?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:54 am

I can't test the campaign atm, but I'm really looking forward to it!

I'm kind of jealous about the nice idea of just replacing the default level texts and such. That's a very easy way to make dialogues work!

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:07 am

your are better at describing than me. But yeah thats what I had, and I got "attached" to the April Shadow.

albuminouslump

Post by albuminouslump » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:38 am

Sweet! Just downloaded it, can't wait to try it out!

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:42 am

You're right about this. I had no use for April so I hid her away and made her size zero. I completely forgot that you'd still be able to spot her on the radar thing. You can jump to break free from the shadow.

Btw, why stick with the map? The game's better without it :?

@skyrage, replace the crashing level 'svencanyon' with 'svenskip' (by renaming the latter to the former). Hopefully, this will make you skip the level.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:36 pm

I'm trying out your campaign on easy mode to be able to get further and thus be able to critique the entire campaign better. I agree that the map makes the game less fun, because of the easiness and unrealisticness.

I am also playing on Insane to critique the difficulty, although I'm not very good so this sint as affective. So far the content is great and the difficulty is good as well. On insane I can't get past the single wolf, but I have only tried a hand full of times before I decided to play on easy in order to beat things easier and give you some feedback on the campaign.

I do want to tell you that I think the third level (I'm not home so I can't tell you the name of the level, but it is the one with the crazy jumping that we talked about before) is too hard as far as the jumping aspect goes. I have found a location that I cna successfully make the required jumps from, but even then it still is a crap-shoot whether I get the jump exactly right. I think it would be better if the initial jump (onto the flat hollow box) were slightly easier; for some reason you have to make the jump on the fly, now grabbing onto the edge and pulling yourself up.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:08 pm

Im going to play the 3rd level again, and try to figure out where the jumping
is hard. I beat it first time (on difficult) and I don't remember any jumping difficulties.

Edit: Played level 3 (<brag>started over on insane, difficult was too easy</brag>), and I still have no idea what you are talking about :?

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:44 pm

If you make a map of the route you guys are taking maybe I am just not noticing an easy(-ier) route and found a harder one that isn't as realiable. When I get home from work I will mkae a mspaint diagram of my route.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:32 pm

Just finished my playthrough this morning. Holy crap that was fun. Congratulations on making the first Lugaru campaign! You really pushed the engine to its limit. I really liked how some stages had multiple parts to them that you had to complete before you got back to the main map. I also liked the wolf ambush (that scared the crap out of me) and how you made it look like your teammates killed the wolves off the screen.

The ice cave was really sweet. I got knocked off the edge by a rabbit, but I somehow managed to wall jump between the walls that made up one of the corners of the platform and got back up to finish the job! I can just imagine the look on their faces when after returning to finish their meeting, thinking they have killed Sven, he somehow jumps back out of the abyss and starts kicking their asses again.

This makes me want to make my own campaign.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:57 pm

I just finished it as well (with Jeff watching over my shoulder telling me how much I suck at Lugaru, thats what 4 months vs the entire existence of the game in any form does).

Superb campaign. Loads of fun. The part where you fill the role of all three characters is great and as Jeff said the part where your teamates kill the wolves off screen was awesome. The ice cave was awesome, although very hard to see what was going on at times. The ability to wall jump back up is great, I did it once, but died about half a second before killing the last wolf (I just had to touch him and he woulda died) . One thing I would say to make the ice cave a little better is to put an opaque floor beneath the translucent (icy) floor.

Also Shan's texture doesn't show up quite right on my computer, and Jeff told me he had the same problem.

I withdrawl my problems with "Ruins Top," I just found another method that was reallllly hard, but possible.

I never found the sideways trees Zantalos mentioned, but that's okay.

Now that I'm done pointing out some things I think could use slight improvements I am going to return to complements (the good-bad-good sandwhich of any good critic). The way you pushed the engine to its limit rocks. You used so many aspects of the engine to their full potential, from collosus structures to a different sword. I know that Lugaru as a wolfire product is considered complete, but I think you and David should work out a way to change the menu system (I think that is all which would have to be changed) to incorperate both campaigns in the package which comes with the game.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:05 pm

If you decide to make another campaign, you should try changing the heightmap. You can make dips in the terrain and create mountains and such.

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:18 pm

Holy crap, I hate you Silb!
Why did you have to make such a good campaign! Now I'm addicted and require more. And I just can't get that fix.

Jebus.

First I gotta give you kudos on all the elaborate stages and wonderful architecture. Like that house? Damn, man. The ice caves were awesome, too - even though I knew that somewhere down there was a floor and that we were really just flyin' high in the sky, the use of a black skybox really made it feel like they were caves - you are a master of illusion.

Shan's texture didn't show up quite right on my machine, either. *shrugs*
I liked the levels where you had to jump from one place to another - made Lugaru into a bit of a platformer, instead of exclusively a fighter.

I encourage more independent campaigns, and the ability to choose between 'em without messing with all the data files. I believe this would add more life to the game.