How modable is Lugaru?

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Fantastic Mr Fox

How modable is Lugaru?

Post by Fantastic Mr Fox » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:52 am

Title says it all, how much can be changed? Im guessing not very much.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:58 am

Actually, much more than you would expect. Skins are easy, even though models are out of the question. However, with debug mode, almost anything can be done. It's as easy to make a map as it is to play the game. If you don't believe me, check out Silb's campaign.

You can't really mod it, but there are many variables that can be changed within the game that can let you do almost whatever you want.

EDIT: I should probably tell you how to get debug mode. In the lugaru data folder, there's a file called config. Open it with textedit, (mac) or Notepad, I think.(PC) Look for text that looks like this:

Debug

Change the 0 to a 1, save, and make sure to change the extension of the saved file to .txt if you use a mac. It's actually preferable to use simpletext, an OS 9 application, if you have it. There's also a file in the data folder called debug readme. I recommend printing that out, since it tells you everything you need to know. (To delete the nearest object, press control+delete. That's one thing it doesn't tell you.)
Last edited by »StaffShock« on Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fantastic Mr Fox

Post by Fantastic Mr Fox » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:01 am

Ah, its a pity models (and thus animations) are not modable, as thats what I was mostly looking to change. Thanks for the quick reply :)

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:22 pm

Heh heh. Well you can change models nobody really tries to do that though. (I think the only person was Levbot, speaking of which check out TWEAKING TRICKS, it's really cool)

Oh yeah, in the console type in: (where X is a number equal or greater zero)
Size X
Proportion X X X X
the results are really cool.

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:43 pm

just a question, would it be possible to have a campaign starring a wolf?

Fantastic Mr Fox

Post by Fantastic Mr Fox » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:48 pm

You can change models? could you direct me to somewhere where I can find out how?

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:51 pm

Everything you need to know is in the debug readme file, in the data folder.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:53 pm

Here's a 13-page-thread about different tweaking and modding tricks. Unfortunately, Usagi's posts which I remember as rather valuable in this context are gone.

Have fun. Report back if you can find out new stuff.

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:38 pm

as far as changing models, the .solid format used by david had a converter to more useable filetypes, but it was the converter was lost in some computer error. So the best we can do is switch models with one another. someone managed to make some basic polygonal shapes, but youll have to read his post on it as Its gobbledegook to me.

peace out

Fantastic Mr Fox

Post by Fantastic Mr Fox » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:24 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. Its unfortunate models cant be changed, as that was one of the major things I wanted to do. Oh well, Ill just have to wait for Lugaru 2 I suppose :)