Interesting Bugs For Everyone To Enjoy

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Interesting Bugs For Everyone To Enjoy

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat May 13, 2006 3:02 pm

I decided to start up a thread dedicated solely to funny/odd bugs that people want others to try. I urge you to post any funny bugs you have encountered in Lugaru. I'd love to try some others.

Anyway, the following is one I encountered while I was playing Challenge Level 7 and decided to try something new.

I was messing around with the models and stuff, and then I just decided to tweak the viewdistance. I was in Challenge 7. I brought up the console and entered in "viewdistance 10". After I confirmed this entry and closed off the console, the camera began travelling fast and I heard a rabbit noise, followed by the battle music. When the camera got to where it was going, I was in Turner's home village from the very first level of the campaign. I was stunned, because the rabbits had travelled somehow with Turner and the camera (teleportation?), but they also began acting strangely and were suddenly able to travel twice as fast over land somehow. Then, since I was able to see very far, I went up to the very top of one of the tall hills surrounding the village, and I was able to see the block structures from Challenge 7 in the distance. There was a flat grassy plain between Turner's village and the Challenge Level 7 area, but when I tried to traverse that area, I was teleported back over to the other side of Turner's village, opposite to the side where the Challenge Level 7 area was. I then discovered if I went a certain distance away from Turner's village, I was teleported over to the other side of the village at an equal distance from the village centre. I figured there must have been a circle of area I was being kept inside, with a certain radius I was allowed to wander around in, and when I tried to travel further than that radius (or leave the circle, in layman's terms), I would travel along (along the circumference of the circle, you might say, which is the line from one side of a circle to the other going through the centre-point) to the exact point on the other side of the village.

I found this to be an extremely interesting and funny bug, and I advise someone else to experience it. It's quite odd.

I suppose someone with much knowledge of the game like David or Silb will be able to explain why this bug happened, because it's most likely related to the fundamental mechanics of how the game's mapping system runs, I just thought it was weird.

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Sat May 13, 2006 3:21 pm

Silb? Who's he?

Someone else made lugaru? I don't think so :P

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat May 13, 2006 3:38 pm

Are you dense? When did I say that? I said Silb had a great knowledge of the game, which he must do if he knows exactly how to work it and make his own campaigns. I never implied he assisted in the development of the game engine.

Thanks for leading the thread to something else other than the actual topic. Does anyone want to contribute to the actual thread topic?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat May 13, 2006 4:04 pm

Also, I just remembered the following bug I posted before. It is in reference to the map pack made by theblob where you are a wolf instead of a rabbit. It is actually a very solid map pack. I enjoyed playing it. It can be found in this thread : http://wolfire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1120

This EXTREMELY strange bug in "wolfie2" (the second map :P) was worth mentioning I thought. Other people must've got it. You attack the enemies, and as soon as you go out of sight of them, they all begin running determinedly in one particular direction. Only 2 of the 8 enemies don't do this (someone always has to be different, don't they?). I followed them in the direction they ran in and after about half a minute of running you come to a singular ice block with one large tree and one small tree beside it, out in the middle of nowhere. All the enemies who run to this point climb the block and try to stand as close as they can to the far corner of it, as if being in the corner makes them the winner. "Last one to the corner of the ice block about half a minute over that way is a rotten egg?"[/url]

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sat May 13, 2006 4:36 pm

Me ignores two last posts.

Me is going to try out the bug thingy, sounds weird.
Me likes weird.

Edit: WTH? How come I missed a post that was posted 30 minutes before mine? Me furious.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sat May 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Nayr wrote:Silb? Who's he?

Someone else made lugaru? I don't think so :P
Hi.
Like Renegade_Turner said. I didn't even know about Lugaru until last year. But if you like the game, you may want to try this campaign.

@Topic:
Crill3 wrote:Me likes weird.
Lowering the viewdistance is fun as well.
Last edited by Silb on Sat May 13, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ablationer

Post by ablationer » Sat May 13, 2006 10:21 pm

HOLY MOTHER OF CHRIST !
That actually looks like photoshop made ... but it's so weird ...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun May 14, 2006 9:23 am

@Topic:
Crill3 wrote:Me likes weird.
Lowering the viewdistance is fun as well.
That just looks like Turner on an acid trip, doesn't it? :lol:

I'll try this one now, it looks trippy.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun May 14, 2006 10:25 am

Quest For All Lugaru Enthusiasts :

Traverse the barren lands to the end of the world, where the landscape falls away into nothing. Bring proof of your journey. I will give you only one piece of wisdom to aid you upon your journey : where it seems like you cannot travel any farther, use the mystic power of the viewdistance.

¡PH34R!

Post by ¡PH34R! » Sun May 14, 2006 8:53 pm

hmm
viewdistance set to wha and on wha llevel or does it not matter at all?

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sun May 14, 2006 9:42 pm

It's an old shot, I've forgotten the settings. But I still have the map with the right values here (watch out the .txt extension).

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun May 14, 2006 11:47 pm

Ok, so I just call it a file (take out the .txt) and I should be able to play it as a level, right? Right on, here's for hoping for a dillirium filled experience. 8)

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon May 15, 2006 12:30 am

Man that's a hella wierd level. There's a pretty wierd dialog. It seems like a bunch of exerpts from the main dialogs all strung together to make something... wierd. There's also this wierd... bush thing which also helps make the situation even more wierder, it's wierd man.

Hey there's a funny little bug in that level where if you run into the little bunny, it will get stuck to your "movement bubble" and you'll be able to drag it around.

I also did Renegade's little view distance bug. It's pretty wierd actually, because it seems like the view distance controls how far the border reaches. By increasing it up (not by typing "full" that's a different bug) you can actually travel outside of the level, where basically; if you fall down there your frame rate will go to hell and if you survive the fall, you'll either get a heart attack or you'll fall and slide down an invisible surface till you do die. It's pretty cool for something to try out. You also get to see how much detail David put in to keep you from running into any flat surfaces, the landscape is really dynamic when you see the whole thing at once.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:07 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Quest For All Lugaru Enthusiasts :

Traverse the barren lands to the end of the world, where the landscape falls away into nothing. Bring proof of your journey. I will give you only one piece of wisdom to aid you upon your journey : where it seems like you cannot travel any farther, use the mystic power of the viewdistance.
Me did it and me got screenshots.

This is when I just fell over the edge:

After alot of annoying bump sounds, further away from ground,
I noticed a grey thingie at the edge of the ground:

I managed to get closer to it (by sitting and waiting for about 10 minutes):

Green red and yellow beam thingies in a gray stuffeh.
So.. what's that? :o

And, what's my reward for getting past the edge of the world
and bringing proof, Renegade?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon May 15, 2006 11:15 am

Congratulations, you passed the quest. For your honour and valour in questing to the far reaches of the world, you receive : nothing. Thank you. :)