Playing problems

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Avelon

Playing problems

Post by Avelon » Wed May 24, 2006 11:19 am

I used to play Lugaru on Windows 98 SE, and that worked very nicely. There was little to no lag, menus were fast, animations were smooth.

Then I switched to XP and it went all to hell. No change in specs, obviously, but... I install the game, and run it. The red 'flash' takes several seconds to complete, and the cursor lags by almost a full second after moving it, then does a 'strobe' sort of movement, skipping right to where it would have ended up.
The game won't allow me to type a single letter - I have to hold down a key for almost a full second before the game recognizes it, and then it adds in 5 of that letter. This makes it impossible to create a user name or register the game.
Finally, when I attempt to open a scenario (challenge, tutorial, or campaign), the firey loading window comes up, VERY SLOWLY does its choppy, lagged-up animation for about 10 seconds (6 frames, tops), then freezes. The game stops responding and I find I have to end task to get it to close.

Even though my specs haven't changed from when I played the game before, here they are:

Windows XP Home (SP2)
AMD Duron 701Mhz processor
384MB SD-RAM
ATI Radeon 9000 AGP Pro (128MB)
Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)

Any suggestions?

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Wed May 24, 2006 12:27 pm

I think XP might be taking up more RAM than it's worth, but this is coming from a mac user, so I'm not sure. I don't really know how you could fix this, either. Maybe reinstalling 98 SE, or, if possible, giving the system less RAM and giving Lugaru more.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed May 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Are other games affected? I had a video card problem After installing Ghost Recon, and the video card had to be re-put in (take it out, place it in). If not, it may just be xp takes too much, it has alot more pretty useless stuff than the 98 had. I dunno, play with the resolution or something, it seems like your computer can deffinately handle it with an xp though.

Oh yeah, OpenGl runs off of unused ram or something.

Avelon

Post by Avelon » Wed May 24, 2006 3:10 pm

I kicked the resolution down to 640x480 and the menus run way faster, but still 'strobe' and lag horribly. (It took several minutes to close the game before, and now I can do it in, oh...45 seconds?)
I think you're right, StaffShock. I know XP eats memory like cotton candy... I actually told a lie: I had 256MB of RAM before XP, and put in another 128MB afterward. Other games run as well or better than they did before I downgraded to XP, with a few exceptions (Like Warcraft II) that will not tolerate Microsoft's fecal operating system.

I tried swapping out the video card for an old one (*shudder* It was like a nightmare...) and then back. No change. I've also zeroed a lot of useless processes, which improved performance a little... But Explorer.exe takes ~50k of memory on low priority. I'm not intimate with soft settings in XP because the OS is a complete turnoff, but I guess I'll go find some (ugh) guides and see about slapping it around a little.

Thanks for the suggestions!

P.S. I have never touched COM2 intimately, I swear to Cheese.