Dialoguing- Help, please.

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
[insertusernamehere]

Dialoguing- Help, please.

Post by [insertusernamehere] » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:10 pm

So I created my awesome dialogue, and I tried to load it into my campaign.

I typed in 'dialogue 39 Leveltwo', Leveltwo being the name of my dialogue file. Instead of a dialogue I got one character saying

Nd : |iiBox:
and the other
:

When I try pressing 0 or 1 Lugaru 'quits unexpectedly'.

I am very confused. I have checked, all of my strings (and names) are under 128 characters and are not 10 or 13 characters long. I tried looking at other dialogues and it seems they have a very liberal use of #'s, for no apparent reason. I have a feeling it has something to do with this but really have no idea what to do.

Thank you very much in advance for helping, as I know you will.

EDIT: By the way, I looked on the wiki, and I do not have a numpad (Im on a MacBook), so how will I do the directions of their heads?

webhead

Re: Dialoguing- Help, please.

Post by webhead » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:32 pm

From the Lugaru Wiki:

BUG!: 'Text' fields that are either 10 or 13 characters long make the map crash. For example:

Text: You knew him?

won't work because 'You knew him?' is 13 characters. To solve the problem, add a '#' at the end of the string, like this:

Text: You knew him?#

The '#' won't appear in the actual dialogue.

This should answer your question about the #'s.

Steve

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm pretty rusty at maps and dialogues, but IIRC the lockups I had were always due to some typing error in the text of the script.

(you probably already looked at this, but if not it might help in some way: dialogues for mac)

The number pad thing stumps me entirely. :|

Maybe there's a way to re-assign some other keys to equal it? You still need the top line of numbers for other aspects of the dialogue.

[insertusernamehere]

Post by [insertusernamehere] » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:50 pm

@Webhead/Steve
[insertusernamehere] wrote: I have checked, all of my strings (and names) are under 128 characters and are not 10 or 13 characters long.

EDIT: Sorry, I misunderstood a bit. In the other dialogues it has something similar to this:

Name: Sarah##
Text: Our daughter is up on the lookout tower\again and refuses to come down.####

Basically I see that Sarah is five letters (not ten our thirteen) and 'our daughter is up on the lookout.... to come down' is way more than ten or thirteen letters, so I really dont know what those #'s are for.
Last edited by [insertusernamehere] on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[insertusernamehere]

Post by [insertusernamehere] » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:55 pm

@Kehaar

Thanks a lot, but I can't find any errors, at least not in spelling or grammar (and I wouldn't know what to look for in the case of format).

As for the numpad, I suppose I dont really need their heads to be turned in a certain direction, right?

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:00 pm

I think the format stuff might be the key-- like spaces after colons, between color indication numbers (like "0.2 0.1 0.2" kind of stuff, has to be exactly like the original looks), spaces after the very last letter in the dialogue, numbers of each dialogue box, all that...

Hey, I just thought of something: maybe try to install a working dialogue into a copy of one of your maps-- like make a 2nd copy of a map, then take a dialogue script from Rabbit's Foot or Temple and try to slot it in. That way you might tell if the problem is on the map end or the dialogue script end.

Also, are your maps made from maps that never had any dialogues at all, (like the original "challenge maps") or did you try to "ddialogue" ones that had talking already installed? I had some failures of the ddialogue method, and had to remake one entire map-- the Oakey's Fort one from Ancestral Tales, which was f--ing HOURS of work. :cry: Version 2 was a cooler fort, so it turned out for the best, but dang that was a pain.

The head movement thing is just gravy, really... you could just have your characters placed so they sort of face each other and then move the camera around. The dialogues are halfway in between a film and a storyboard/comic book anyway, so just using your camera to frame the conversation should do fine to tell the story-- you know: long shots to show the characters in the setting, shots with both characters filling the frame to show a general conversation, close-ups when there's some emotional impact point to the conversation...

the head movements add a lot of flexibility-- like if you're shooting guy A's face over guy B's shoulder, and the two guys don't quite look like they're looking at each other-- it can look a little odd for two guys to be talking about a life/death situation and not looking at each other, so you can tweak their head angles.

[insertusernamehere]

Post by [insertusernamehere] » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Well, I tried everything you said and this is what I found.

There are no spaces at the end of the dialogues (should there be?)
There are spaces between color indicators.
Each dialogue box is numbered correctly.

It is not a problem with the map, I loaded it onto two different challenge missions also and it did not work.
I dont know about using maps which already had talking- I made the map I am using from a challenge mission, as well as all the others. Should I use one with a dialogue or without?

Thanks

PS: You know, Kehaar, I actually hadn't seen your post 'Dialogues for Macs'. I suppose I should have done some searching before posting. :oops: Well, I guess it's too late anyways. Ill take a look at it and see if it helps.

[insertusernamehere]

Post by [insertusernamehere] » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:29 pm

You know, I think we've actually done the best we could on the forums so I'll send you the file. There's only one problem.

I do not know how the heck to send a private message. I've been looking and can't find a button or anything anywhere.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:08 pm

I think they had to close the PM's down due to spam. My email is in my profile under occupation; just leave out the numbers. Send me a map or two and the dialogues. Might take me a while to get to them and relearn how to install stuff, but I'll give it a try for ya.

[insertusernamehere]

Post by [insertusernamehere] » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:27 am

Ah... I feel smarter already.

I'll send you an email with the map(s) and malfunctioning dialogue(s). Thanks a lot for the help, man.

jonee755

Post by jonee755 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks for sharing, great tips!

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:56 pm

how did this get through?