weird map problems

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
carpexnoctem

weird map problems

Post by carpexnoctem » Thu May 25, 2006 3:30 am

Okay, I know in order to load a player map you have to either go launch the game campaign or a challenge level and then type Map + the map name into the console. I encountered a very strange error when I tried to play BunnyWithStick's silly_forest map. I already had the China mod enabled and it seems to be alright to play user maps with this mod active, so I dont think this could be the problem. After I accessed the console again by typing ~, after the user map had loaded suddenly Turner had a wood texture! I have heard of being one with the forest but this was ridiculous, and I couldnt switch it back to another skin until I quit the entire game.

(side notes: I got this to do this again with another map but still with all of the China mod active in my Textures and Maps folders. It might actually be caused by the China mod. I used debug to morph into a wolf and he had a grey wooden texture, bunny morphing made me have a tan wood texture. He literally looks like he was carved out of teakwood or something. So strange.)

Whenever I load a user map, the map loads fine and I can play it but whether I complete the map or not afterwards, it gets stuck in a loop where it just keeps flashing "Loading..." over and over. Is this normal?
Also once all the enemies on the map are defeated sometimes there is no ending at all and I am just free to wander about. Is this also normal? The only way to continue seems to be to just access the console and reload the map again. Maybe perhaps since these are user created maps there is no definite ending and loading screen to take me back to the menu screen?

(I wish the console had a feature that would paste back the last text string typed, simply by using the arrow up key for example.)
Last edited by carpexnoctem on Thu May 25, 2006 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Thu May 25, 2006 4:36 am

The Loading loop is normal, I guess Lugaru doesn't know what to load if it's not a default map. I'm not sure about the wood texture, maybe it's just some clothes in silly forest that look like wood in the China skin or something.

carpexnoctem

Post by carpexnoctem » Thu May 25, 2006 4:44 am

Well, its good to know at least the Loading loop is normal and that is just what happens when you play user created maps. I would have thought someone else besides me would have wondered about this tho. I searched for it before posting but didnt find anyone addressing this. It kind of alarmed me at first when it did that. Thank you for replying, »StaffShock«, you made some pretty nice maps yourself.

(I just basically downloaded all the third party maps I found on the wiki and I am trying them all out.)

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Thu May 25, 2006 4:57 am

If you want some maps that don't go on a loading loop, check out Silb's campaign, I bet you'll like it: Lugaru: Temple

If you rename your maps or other usermade maps to map1-map14, they will replace the challenge levels, but you won't get a loading loop. I recommend renaming the default challenge levels first if you try this. The campaign is start1-start20something, with some alternate endings on 29 and 30, or something like that.

carpexnoctem

Post by carpexnoctem » Thu May 25, 2006 2:17 pm

Thanks for the tips about the renaming of the maps to replace the challenge levels.

I do have Silb's Temple campaign, and I do really like it. It is one of the first things I downloaded and it's really well done. It just gets laggy around the part of the Castle Bridge tho. I had to cheat because I was moving so slowly my feet didnt even touch the ground and I couldnt stay heading in the right direction, which is important unless I wanted to keep dropping over the edge and dying let alone trying to engage any of the enemy. I put all my settings to the lowest possible and I still had the lag too. I guess he wasnt joking when he said that these levels would be more demanding of your computer than the original game.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: weird map problems

Post by Jeff » Thu May 25, 2006 5:08 pm

carpexnoctem wrote:(I wish the console had a feature that would paste back the last text string typed, simply by using the arrow up key for example.)
... It does.

carpexnoctem

Post by carpexnoctem » Fri May 26, 2006 4:04 am

Jeff wrote:
carpexnoctem wrote:(I wish the console had a feature that would paste back the last text string typed, simply by using the arrow up key for example.)
... It does.
ok, then what key do I hit?

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Fri May 26, 2006 4:35 am

carpexnoctem wrote:
Jeff wrote:
... It does.
ok, then what key do I hit?
What about the up key?
:P