Sword sound effects

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
cooldude

Sword sound effects

Post by cooldude » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:15 am

I got the chainsaw from here http://lotuswolfs.site50.net/ but it has the same sound effects as a sword. I tried to change the sound effect but it copys the one for the knife so i'm just wondering if there is a way to have the sword sound effects for sheathing and unsheathing and have it different from the knife?

johndh

Re: Sword sound effects

Post by johndh » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:59 am

kehaar

Re: Sword sound effects

Post by kehaar » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:01 pm

Ha ha! It's so true! And so annoying.

and so nerdy, but oh well, it's still true

Another super annoying weapon cliche is the guy/gal pointing a pump shotgun at someone, exchanging some words or dramatic looks, and then jacking the slide to emphasize that they mean business.

--what, was there originally no round in the chamber? Must not have been, since no unfired shell was ejected onto the floor when they operated the slide. Like any time you might feel like you really need to threaten someone with a pump 12 gauge, it's best to whip around a corner and get in their face with it not ready to fire. For the later drama of chambering a round during a dialogue, you know...

On the other hand, from a mediocre director's, editor's, and foley guy's point of view, the Ssscchhinngg of the sword and the Chank-chank of the slide gun adds to the tension of the moment.

A different way of showing a serious threat is to have the situation written so it seems plausible, and have the actors act like they believe it, but that takes a somewhat higher level of craft, apparently. My favorite example of excellent story-craft recently is in Winter's Bone-- completely plausible threats, and everyone in it acting as scared as real people who know how bad real violence really hurts. Not one round is chambered for dramatic effect, either.

*Ahem* --anyway, sorry for the OT hijack, there... carry on.