A few questions from a noob

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Nixitur

A few questions from a noob

Post by Nixitur » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:03 pm

Hello, everyone!
I bought Lugaru as part of the Humble Bundle and I'm having a lot of fun with it, but after finishing off Sonic on crack (aka Jet, the white rabbit), I'm a bit stuck. So, here are some questions:

1) How the hell do you beat the level with the three wolves? Not only can you not backstab them, but landing hits is so difficult because they either reverse the attack or don't even bother and claw me. When they attack right when I do, their attacks generally hit because they are so fast. While reversing their attacks is fairly easy, it's not practical because:
2) Why the hell do reversals get weaker and weaker? The first one does 60 damage which is cool, but once I'm done with one wolf, I only do 5 or 6 damage per reversal to a wolf. Yes, I can still kill them with that, but they only need 3 or 4 lucky claw hits and I'm done for. In the tips it says:

Code: Select all

- Reversals do significantly more damage than the attack itself
Which brings me to:
3) Does the power of the reversals ever regenerate? This level is getting a bit too difficult for me. Which brings me to:
4) What does the difficulty in config.txt do? I already chose a difficulty before I started the campaign, but does changing the difficulty from 2 to 1 or 0 change anything? If yes, what?

Thanks for any and all answers!

Count Roland

Re: A few questions from a noob

Post by Count Roland » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:26 pm

it doesn't decrease, that's your points, not your damage inflicted, you just lose points for reusing the same attack.

Nixitur

Post by Nixitur » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:13 am

Count Roland wrote:it doesn't decrease, that's your points, not your damage inflicted, you just lose points for reusing the same attack.
Ah yes, I just realised that, but didn't have the time to edit my post before you answered.

That still leaves the questions what the difficulty setting does and how you beat the three wolves. Reversals are all good and well, but sometimes I duck instead of reverse and after one or two swipes I'm already half dead.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:20 pm

There isn't any real answer for this, except practice with the system, and try not to ragequit. That level is legendary, and David himself has admitted he made the level too hard. It takes me at least 15 tries to pass it on insane, and I've been playing Lugaru for a long time.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:53 pm

Fight them off one at a time. Throw the knife at the targetted wolf while he doesn't notice you in order to take away some of his health, then try and keep the mouse clicked to kick/punch him on the ground automatically once then get close enough, just be careful because he might be faster than you and kill you in one hit if the automated attack doesn't strike him. Once he's on the ground, then rabbit kick(leg cannon) him when he starts getting up.

It takes a bunch of tries to kill all of them, most of the time it depends on luck. Sometimes you'll get to kill 2 of them but the third one gets up from a leg cannon and insta kills you.

I beat the game on Insane, so yeah, that tactic should work. After that level you'll become a ninja with your mad Lugaru skills.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:29 am

Funny, I just kill them. Lol

Nekros22

Post by Nekros22 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:22 am

Three Rules of Wolf Fighting:

1. NEVER FIGHT MULTIPLE WOLVES AT ONCE, ESPECIALLY AT HIGHER DIFFICULTY LEVELS. I've tried many different tactics and strategies for fighting numerous Wolves at once and none of them work very well at all. They are too fast and strong, especially on the Insane difficulty level.

2. Knives are Wolf Killers: With patience and good timing, it is possible to insta-kill a Wolf with a very powerful knife combo. First you need to wear the Wolf down with some quick punches and kicks. The best combination is Leg Sweep+Short-Range Kick (close range, Shift and Hold Left Mouse). This allows you to get close to the Wolf, knock him down, and kick him. It doesn't do much damage, but it is very fast. After wearing the Wolf down, try to peg him by throwing your knife as he attempts to recover. Unlike Rabbits, Wolves will not pull out any knives stuck into them. At this point, it's a simple matter of knocking the Wolf down, rolling over him by pressing Shift, and pressing "q" to extract the knife. The Wolf will die instantly.

3. The Leg Cannon: Without a knife, killing a Wolf is best accomplished with the Leg Cannon. The strategy is the same as above: wear the Wolf down with some quick combos and then blast him with the Leg Cannon as he's getting up.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:03 pm

...and when all else fails, if you can kill the first one you can "corpse cannon" him into the remaining ones one at a time. Takes some practice, but deals a huge amount of damage. Hard to lure the wolves there on Insane, but on the lower ranges it works very nicely, and is very satisfying.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:45 pm

What is with these random tricks you are spouting out. Just beat them (practise) or if you wanna be noob you can flip + equip knife + backstab. if the knife is not equipped during the flip the wolf wont roll away.

Ricochet64

Post by Ricochet64 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:51 pm

What happens to Nixitur always happens to me, I always duck instead of reverse, I only ever reverse when they do a leg-swipe. When ever I throw a knife, they dodge, and I can only ever beat one wolf, then the second one kills me. I am on easy difficulty!
EDIT: Oops, nevermind. I didn't know that I had to weild my knife AFTER confusing the wolf. I have just finished the campaign. XD

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Tue May 08, 2012 3:02 am

This tactic works for me. Get some wolfs to follow you. Be it 1,2 or 3. Just run and get them in a line behind you. Then when your at a suitable distance from them, turn around, run towards them and rabbit kick. If they catch you, press shift and roll out of the way.

Another tactic is, like Nekross22 said, one at a time. Take your knife and slash them 3 times, then just stab em in the neck. Yes, on insane its hard to do that, but if you want to clear the level and get on with story mode, this is a good tactic.

Another one is the bullseye + pullout tactic. Get close enough to be able to reach him after throwing the knife, but also far enough to aim properly. Stand still and throw the knife. By luck if it hits, The wolf should fall down, or collapse. Run to him, roll over him, and while rolling, pick the knife off his body. He will die for sure.

Yet another one is: Bullseye him. He will get up, and will NOT pull the knife out of his own body, but instead come at you again. Knock him over by just standing in one place and holding mouse1. Remember, if he reverses your attacks, press shift immediately (crouch). When he falls, roll over him and pull it out. Im not sure, but i think on insane he doesnt die. If he doesnt, just bullseye again.

Main tactic is no never engage more than 1 at a time.

In the end if all fails, then maybe you need more practice.
If your that eager to pass the level, turn on map editor. :mrgreen:

Welcome.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue May 08, 2012 6:17 pm

the problem with getting wolves to follow you is that on insane they almost always catch you. also welcome backish like! (unless I'm mistaken)

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue May 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Yes, I would not recommend facing away from wolves on insane at any time; usually if you are to have any chance you want to attack them, keep them on the defensive. I am pretty positive that you can insta-kill them with the bullseye-pull out knife method though, even on insane.

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Wed May 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Flips confuse wolves even on insane right?
Here's another tactic i thought of.

Get a knife. Attract one wolf. jump towards him, roll in the air just as he gets alerted (just as you hear the music get intense) and throw it. He wont get time to react, but if he does, since you jumped towards him, you can pick it up and try again.

Another little trick is that when you hold a knife and then flip in the air, wolves backflip just as a defensive measure. Use this to get them away from you. :mrgreen:

And yes, if wolves catch you too easily on insane, then you somehow need to pull off a lucky rabbit kick in the first try. But otherwise, yes, running is pointless in insane then.

Ensnab

Post by Ensnab » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Lure one wolf away to a safe spot and when he gets close jump up in the air and press shift to flip,
then land a little behind him and slice him up real nice in the back with your knife! INSTAKILL! ;D
Just learned that today :p