Steam Engine

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:29 pm

lol and Macwiggy got at least 2 people already taking the bait, nice...

So Ledood and Pyros Soul, YHBT. Sweet, I got to say that. Now does that mean I've also been trolled? I have no idea.

Man, I first looked up Flamebait after those discussions on the Lugaru 2 blog and I must say, Wikipedia knows alot.
Wikipedia wrote:Flamebait is a message posted to a public Internet discussion group, such as a forum, newsgroup or mailing list, with the intent of provoking an angry response (a "flame") or argument over a topic the troll often has no real interest in. (This is not to be confused with tweaking someone.)

There are various motives or explanations for this behavior. The most popular is the desire for attention and the desire for entertainment at the expense of others. Posted flamebait can provide the posting party with a controlled trigger-and-response setting in which to engage in conflicts and indulge aggressive behavior anonymously, without facing the consequences those behaviors would certainly bring to bear in real life. In other instances, flamebait may be used to reduce a forum's use by angering forum users.

It is often hard to determine who is really responsible for the degradation of a reasonable discussion into a flamewar. Someone who posts a contrary opinion in a strongly focused discussion forum may be easily labeled a "baiter", "flamer" or "troll". Therefore, it seems especially important to make the rules and focus of a discussion forum public to avoid misconceptions about its accepted use.

Taking the bait refers to someone who responds to the original message regardless of whether they are aware the original message was intended to provoke a response. Often when someone takes the bait, others will point out to them YHBT for "You have been trolled".

The conclusion to a flamewar precipitated by flamebait is often determined by recourse to Godwin's Law.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:31 pm

I have dishonored my ancestors. I must journey to 豆腐山 to repent my sins.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:07 pm

Now you're doing it.

pyros soul

Post by pyros soul » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:18 am

Death to morons!!!
Last edited by pyros soul on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:01 pm

The only way L2 will be taken seriously is NOT (solely) if it's in a box! what good does a gamein a box do if it's not sold in a store?

for a game to be taken 'seriously', people usually go through another company. e.g. ambrosia, freeverse, etc.

If L2 gets enough press, it'll sell itself.

I think the majority of the people (myself among them) will want to buy the CD online. I think that's where wolfire has it's best chance.

Inane

Post by Inane » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:10 pm

A special edition version could be nice, like you pre-order a disc version online and you get a small booklet with all the awesome art and a soundtrack or something?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:49 pm

I want Lugaru 2 in some way, shape or form and am not really bothered with how I get it or what I have to do to get it.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:39 pm

Nayr wrote:The only way L2 will be taken seriously is NOT (solely) if it's in a box! what good does a gamein a box do if it's not sold in a store?

for a game to be taken 'seriously', people usually go through another company. e.g. ambrosia, freeverse, etc.

If L2 gets enough press, it'll sell itself.

I think the majority of the people (myself among them) will want to buy the CD online. I think that's where wolfire has it's best chance.
Yeah, while it certainly wouldn't hurt to be sold at say, the Apple store (though the manufacturing cost to do this, I have no idea how high it would be), Independent games still have a good shot. That is, If you consider being the greatest independent game of the year is a good shot, that's pretty much what Darwinia did. They made it digitally distributed, got some help with Valve, and then earned enough to put it up in retail stores across North America (they said it was for sale in Europe before that though), pretty cool how that all works out.

So yeah, it seems like the biggest thing is quality. As long as Lugaru 2 wins some awards, gets some press, seeing a retail copy in stores should soon follow (allowing everyone else who hasn't heard of Wolfire, to find out and buy this game. Though, I'm liking this Wolfire.net system to download stuff). Simple right? Right, if Darwinia can make it big, there's no doubt that Lugaru 2 will top that.
(note: I have no idea what I'm talking about. I read a very brief and slightly old news report on Darwinia, and thought I could pretend to know how things work)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:06 pm

I don't want to buy it at some iTunes blarblarbl buy-our-crappy-stuff online portal. I hope you can buy it via Paypal without having to register at some commerce spam site like Apple's. Just like it was with Lugaru 1.

If it's not, I'll pass. I'm strictly against footprints of mine in some corporate database.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:48 pm

Wait, you trust PayPal more than you trust Apple?

But yeah, we are going to have it available on the Wolfire site via Wolfire.net, which would accept PayPal as well as direct credit card payments.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:57 pm

Nice :P

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:17 pm

Jeff wrote:Wait, you trust PayPal more than you trust Apple?

But yeah, we are going to have it available on the Wolfire site via Wolfire.net, which would accept PayPal as well as direct credit card payments.
<3 equails hart.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:45 am

Stop doing the "tiny piece of text that I can't read" thing. What's the point? :shock:

Sage

Post by Sage » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:20 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Stop doing the "tiny piece of text that I can't read" thing. What's the point? :shock:
I dunno, to piss people off I guess. I'll stop

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:21 pm

Do what I do; copy and paste into the address bar, it's perfectly readable there :D