The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Silb
Master cartographer

"Peter Molyneux wants to change combat in games"

Post by Silb » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:07 am

Today on joystiq:

Peter Molyneux wants to change combat in games [update 1]
Posted Aug 22nd 2006 1:25PM by Robert Summa
Filed under: Culture, PC, Sony PlayStation 3, Nintendo Wii, Microsoft Xbox 360, Action, Adventure, Fighting, Simulations, Business

During a Leipzig GCDC briefing, Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux laid out some ideas on how to change the way combat games work. According to Eurogamer, Molyneux said combat games have the same issues among them, in that they are all about the same thing: hit points, weapons don't do much damage and the environments mean nothing.

Molyneux proposed that fighting in games should be more like the combat seen in films (using Kill Bill as an example). He said that game developers "do not treat a sword like a real thing; it's like a big squashy thing. And that's not what we want to present, or what Hollywood presents as combat." He said that he'd like to see more one-hit kills instead. Molyneux also pointed out that he'd like to see more one-button moves, saying that "around 80 percent of people use one button anyway." He said one button should do different things depending on the context.

Lugaru:

Less emphasis on hit points... check
Weapons are very damaging... check
Environment is important... check
Plenty of one-hit kills... check
Moves use just one button... check
Moves are context-sensitive... check

Average score: 100%

:)

Nazgul11
LoTR@localhost

Post by Nazgul11 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:38 am

Thats great! Bet he's never even heard of Lugaru. It just shows how dumbed down some games have become. Its become more about the money for some of the developers, and less about the fun/awesome gameplay that fans love. But some games (such as Lugaru, and others) pop out every once and a while, and really make me wonder what kind of games big companys could make if they had the same intent, and the same thing driving them to make quality games.

Also, kinda offtopic, but I've finally returned to the forums. I mostly read the blog, and lurked around for the past months, but I've finally made myself come back, and start posting again. Great to see you guys again! :D

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:56 am

I like Lugaru. it is the game if you want fair combat. my mates just Downloaded it. they were stuck on the last Demo level. I think he is use to the old AI in other games were (i Saw plenty of this in Crusaders of Might and magic) the guys attack each turn and don't bother to go behind you when you are holding you're shield.

this game is more intense. there going to jump over you and kick you, they will trip you up if you are standing and when you punch they will turn around and defend them selves.

and who would have thought up Mutant Bunnies. the Closest Idea were the Playboy bunnies. but they were humans.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:32 am

Now there's the same article on arstechnica. It turns out P.M. also thinks a parry button is not necessary... check

It's like telepathy. Now like Colecidus said, you really need enemies attacking together. Perhaps reversals and high jumps. Also rabbits. Or perhaps you just need David.
[cue sweeping Wolfire theme]

Welcome back, Nazgul11 :)

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:13 am

DAVID = Check.
JEFF = Check

I think we have all we need. :D

YEEEEE HAAAA! Bring on the Phat Gamez 8)

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:21 am

Colicedus wrote:DAVID = Check.
JEFF = Check

I think we have all we need. :D

YEEEEE HAAAA! Bring on the Phat Gamez 8)
Not to mention all of the other awesome developers on the team :P

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:10 pm

Well yes, it's true games need more one-hit kills, but on the other hand, Where's the fun in that? Once you can just run around killing everything effortlessly with a chainsaw, doesn't it get kinda boring? It sounds like Peter Molyneux wants to make every game super-realistic, forgetting that HIS best-selling game is based around a giant lion that throws peasants.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:47 pm

what might that be and is there a Demo for OS x?
and the chainsaw if its realistic would possibly break.

and if people stick with my ideas (which i doubt) there is only one chainsaw on the island. people may Debug out of Joy Carnage.
but yea. it slows you down badly.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:25 pm

The game is Black & White:
http://www.feralinteractive.com/?game=b ... h&section=
It would be fun if the camera control didn't SUCK :evil:

People who work at Wolfire Software are way too intelligent to
ruin their game by putting a chainsaw in it, I think.

When the game comes out then YOU can make a chainsaw (mod).

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:33 pm

Guys, guys! Cool down about the friggin' chainsaw! I wasn't actually talking about a chainsaw that would end up in LU2, I was making a generalization.The only way heavy machinery would ever be in Lugaru 2 is as a joke. End of discussion. Anything more about the goddamn chainsaw and you get punched in the groin over the internet.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:13 pm

:x

FINE!

all the Unsung awesome developers on the team that i wont name = Check!

champrjk

eh

Post by champrjk » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:55 pm

what about the chances where the kill hits wouldnt actually kill them and only glance off a bone wounding them or something? Know what i mean?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:35 pm

MacWiggy wrote:Well yes, it's true games need more one-hit kills, but on the other hand, Where's the fun in that? Once you can just run around killing everything effortlessly with a chainsaw, doesn't it get kinda boring? It sounds like Peter Molyneux wants to make every game super-realistic, forgetting that HIS best-selling game is based around a giant lion that throws peasants.
He did not say all one-hit kills. He meant he'd like there to be the possibility of pulling off one-hit kills if done correctly. You misinterpreted what he was trying to say.

Also, Black & White does not really apply because it was not a game that really had anything to do with swordfighting or real combat.

Ratatosk

Post by Ratatosk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:35 am

there are games out there that have the possiblity for one hit kills. Like Unreal Tournament 2004, Flak cannon or the sniper rifle. Flak Cannon for point blank bloody kill, or sniper rifle for a long distance head shot. Even Halo has one hit kills, Rocket Launcher, Pistol (no shields), Sniper Rifle, Melee Attack, etc.

Some of the fun is being able to do multiple things, like with Oni. You can say punch punch kick, and mix it up. Nothing against Lugaru, but all you can really do is click and depending on the situation, Turner will either kick or punch. There is some fun in complexity and the more control of what you can do with you character, the more possiblities for fun. Dont get me wrong, i enjoy playing Lugaru, its just during some of the fights it would be nice if you could control whether he kicked or punched.

Anyways, Lugaru is still a great and addicting game. Pretty much in every game there is the possibility for a one hit kill, unless your playing RTSes.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:14 am

Stop Running around then and you will punch :P

now What about the Chainsaw :?:
Will there Be one? :D