Physics broken

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Derakon

Physics broken

Post by Derakon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:42 pm

I decided to play me a little Lugaru again today and the game is just having a physics all over itself. Two things I noticed:

1) Any dropped weapon will just skitter around like a mad thing instead of coming to rest. Functionally this means the only weapons you can use are ones you start with or that you get through reversals -- unless you get very lucky and the weapon stays in approximately the same place long enough for you to finish the pickup animation.
2) Enemies go flying at the slightest provocation. This enemy was punched:

Additionally, the game automatically quits if I hit 'q', which is the throw-dagger button.

So, what the heck? It didn't used to do this; I logged 3 hours on Steam with Lugaru HD probably a year or so ago without noticing anything out of the ordinary. What broke?

Also, this isn't unique to me -- a friend played the game for the first time and experienced similar issues with enemies achieving low-Earth orbit, though he says he didn't have any trouble with the weapons.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Re: Physics broken

Post by Anton » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:47 am

I noticed this too when I upgraded to a faster machine. I think that newer computers (especially of the Mac and Linux persuasion) tend to have these errors. I wish there was a solution, but I don't know of any.

Campion

Re: Physics broken

Post by Campion » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:47 pm

I'm also having this problem. Enemies and myself frequently are knocked 700000 feet into the sky, wolves and rabbits are knocked one story high by rabbit punches, weapons skittering halfway across the map as I shrug my shoulders, moving the camera sometimes working and sometimes being impossible.

I've also noticed that some things just move really fast. Wolves in particular, when running animal style, move at an incredibly fast rate. Super sonic. I am 100 percent sure that they did not move this fast when I last played.

I've also noticed that key input is kind of weird. When I first tried to enter my name and key, ummm, well...if I hold down any key longer than .04 milliseconds, the game interprets this as my pressing it 6 times.

This is a new computer and I have not had these problems before, although I noticed a thread made in 2008 that also reported the same problems with weapons. I've also noticed that this game is more cpu-intensive than it should be. Forcing it to only use one processor with the control panel does nothing.

This is like, one of my favorite games so I am pretty bummed.

edit: haha, I figured out how to fix it, if anyone else is wondering. Going into debug revealed that the game was running at 600 fps. Forcing Vsync and such in the ATI control panel fixed the problem, although wolves still seem to have unfair teleportation powers when tackling. It's really kind of fascinating that this bug exists. I've never seen anything like it.