Movies

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:01 pm

David wrote:Safari and Firefox are actually nearly the same.
Jeff wrote:All of the thumbnails don't wrap, so they're in one giant line, breaking the tables. Maybe if you put a space between each one it would wrap correctly.
You could fix it if you like, I'm pretty sure you have ftp access.
I'll do it tomorrow when I'm back from Lola's

Santa124
captain of the short bus

Post by Santa124 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:06 pm

for the third time: What did you use to make those movies?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:33 pm

Snapz Pro

Lycanthrope
Bunnyface!

Post by Lycanthrope » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:46 pm

Santa124 wrote:for the third time: What did you use to make those movies?
Chill out! third time in three days, during which David wasn't even home!

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:04 am

Amazing. Snapzpro does not work for most of the community here. From my personal experience, Lugaru locks up when you try to run it and snapzpro under X. I have to start lugaru up through OS9 classic just to be able to take snaps and record movies. It really blows since I get horrible performance when running anything through classic...

I don't understand why lugaru only works with snapzpro on certain machines rather than all of them. Technically it should work on any system running the newest version of panther. :?

Guess it is one of those things that we will never know.

If only lugaru could run in window mode. That would certainly solve my problem.

[P.S.] about your hosts bandwidth flickta... Oh my god that is horrible. 2.5 Mb's took far longer than it should. But then again I am used to getting 300kbps+ while downloading. I don't mind waiting but when it finished loading it said that quicktime is missing some sort of plugin that is needed to run your video. So needless to say I am unable to view it.

I have divx but I doubt you encoded it with that considering it's a .mov file. So honestly I have no clue. :?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:03 pm

Jeff wrote:All of the thumbnails don't wrap, so they're in one giant line, breaking the tables. Maybe if you put a space between each one it would wrap correctly.
Fixed.

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:38 am

Lycanthrope wrote:
Jeff wrote:The page looks pretty bad in IE for Windows.
IE? use firefox!
I tried firefox but it takes soo long to start up. I'm not sure if it is just me or what but I don't see anything wrong with IE. Are they supposed to be in b+w?

Flickta

Post by Flickta » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:52 am

FrozenThunder wrote:[P.S.] about your hosts bandwidth flickta... Oh my god that is horrible. 2.5 Mb's took far longer than it should. But then again I am used to getting 300kbps+ while downloading. I don't mind waiting but when it finished loading it said that quicktime is missing some sort of plugin that is needed to run your video. So needless to say I am unable to view it.

I have divx but I doubt you encoded it with that considering it's a .mov file. So honestly I have no clue. :?
Oh well... It was Apple's MPEG4, I think... Or 3ivx? Well... One of 'em.
I couldn't achieve good results with other codecs. It's not my host, it's a free storage site. They store a file for 7 days (not more then 20Mb). Well, try http://35.116-140-213.telenet.ru/~flickta/index.html
(Navigate to pics) I'm usually online from 16pm - 02:00 am (my time. no idea how it compares to GMT - but forum times should be ok...)

I have that movie in quicktime-approved format, but slightly larger in size (and higher quality!).

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:58 am

Well I already use 3ivx so i don't think it's related to that and since i'm using quicktime I have no idea why it isn't working. Maybe some setting you used in the encoding broke it for all but your own computer?

I am too woried about breaking the video to tweak too many settings. I usually leave most on default.

Mostly I just adjust the video's resolution to what I feel I need.

The link doesn't seem to work for me either.. just endlessly says it's loading in the status bar.

Flickta

Post by Flickta » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:09 pm

FrozenThunder wrote:The link doesn't seem to work for me either.. just endlessly says it's loading in the status bar.
http://35.116-140-213.telenet.ru/~flickta/

should work... should...try again...

but this is nothing special, really.

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:03 pm

Well be that as it may, I still like to see how other peoples fighting styles are :)

It's fun to see other people playing.

I would post my own video's but my hosting through comcast allows 20 megs maximum for storage plus my video's come out really choppy since I have to start lugaru in mac os 9 classic... (Meaning I am running lugaru through an emulation of mac os 9 since my computer can't boot into 9 specifically)

I don't get it though. Lugaru seems to work fine for a select few people running osx but most of us (like myself) encounter horrible problems when taking screens or recording movies. Some people were lucky enough to get only minor glitches like slight graphical tearing of certain spots while others get major ones like myself where in my case, screenshots are completely scrambled. Basically it's like looking at garbled data in graphical form where you can't make out a single thing in the image. The problem only seems to be with lugaru while running mac os X because the screenshots work perfectly for me when I start the game up through mac os 9 classic emulation (a feature built into osx for those who still need to use os9 for whatever reason)

I hope the final build will allow me to use snapzpro and such without requiring the game to be started up through classic.. since it is a bit of a turnoff :|

hmm I could possibly record a video using my digital camcorder to show david what keeps happening to me when I use snapzproX with lugaru which causes a complete lockup of the game and system. I have tried articulating it into words to explain what keeps occuring but it just isn't the same as seeing it for yourself. David has never encountered it on his systems so it's probably hard to believe that some of these problems even exist so a demo might be very useful. I've encountered it on every single one of the macs I've used unfortunately :(

I'm lucky I use a laptop because I don't get the distortions that occur when using a camcorder to record images off a computer screen since mine uses an lcd :P

Using a camcorder on a crt display for example returns very bad footage that looks kind of wack (thick black or very dark lines across the screen at the top, bottom, or middle causing it to be nearly impossible to see what image was actually on screen.

I just have to pick a decent encoding format once I import the footage off my mini dv cam.

By the way flickta. the video worked with that link so you can now relax ;)

When you made that video, did you use a mac or pc program to do the editing? Also sometime I would love to see a video of your in game plays since after seeing your scores in the first 5 challenge levels, I'd say you are pretty darn skillful :P

Also did you use a mac or pc when recording the actual video footage?

I'm thinking of getting some video recording software for my pc since it runs lugaru a lot better than my laptop but I don't know of any decent free or pay ones (preferably free ones) if you have a good one that you know of, I'd love to hear about it :)

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:51 pm

I'm going to guess he used a mac, the last PC build is pretty old.
If anyone is interested I could offer hosting for gameplay videos as long as they aren't too big (under 10mb preferably).

Flickta

Post by Flickta » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:52 pm

FrozenThunder wrote:By the way flickta. the video worked with that link so you can now relax ;)

When you made that video, did you use a mac or pc program to do the editing? Also sometime I would love to see a video of your in game plays since after seeing your scores in the first 5 challenge levels, I'd say you are pretty darn skillful :P

Also did you use a mac or pc when recording the actual video footage?

I'm thinking of getting some video recording software for my pc since it runs lugaru a lot better than my laptop but I don't know of any decent free or pay ones (preferably free ones) if you have a good one that you know of, I'd love to hear about it :)
I remember making movies with iMovie. iMovie is great. Combined with the power of Photoshop especially... And it's free (iMovie). Now, I'd vote for the last incarnation of FCE. Now with Livetype!
On PC side - if you get anything to work, you are lucky :)
I've seen Pinnacle products. Some are very nice. And pretty cheap. Bundled with video-capture cards sometimes...

I've used FCP and Livetype. It's an overkill, but if you can, why not?
The video footage was recorded using a Mac, an old Sony Digital 8 camcorder and... The most difficult part was to hold the camcorder and play at the same time :) It was just a test of FCP (and Livetype) features.

I'd say that I would also like to see how other people play, but until we get a way to record with snapz pro or something (really, snapz pro is... well... bad. It just doesn't work with games for me. hates my Panther?). Camcorders aren't the best way.
Better yet, make a recordable replay system like Marathon had! (That was something!)

And no, I'm not a highscorer now. Studies and work = no Lugaru. :cry:
...Waiting for release. Waiting for release...

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:30 pm

Hmm actually snapzpro is not having any conflicts with panther. It's caused by something in the games code.

Some games do not work with snaps for me. couple off the top of my head are World of Warcraft and of coarse Lugaru.

Each of them conflict with snapzpro while running in full screen mode in which the games will not allow other programs to use the screen so snapzpro is unable to be run.

One game that I just checked had no problem using snaps under panther.

it's called 4x4evolution 2

i'll post a video on another topic in a bit. just have to go and re-record it.

Lycanthrope
Bunnyface!

Post by Lycanthrope » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:39 pm

FrozenThunder wrote:Using a camcorder on a crt display for example returns very bad footage that looks kind of wack (thick black or very dark lines across the screen at the top, bottom, or middle causing it to be nearly impossible to see what image was actually on screen.)
This may not be an issue, because you have a laptop. But in case it ever is, you should know that the reason for this is that your screen and your camera are not syncronized. Most people know that movies (for instance) are composed of many individual frames. On a CRT, those frames do not appear all at once, but are "painted" onto the screen in tiny rows going from left to right and top to bottom. When an automatic camera faces a light source, it sets its speed very high, and catches "the black bar" representing space on the screen that was not "painted" while the shutter was open. If you can set your camera to a slower shutter speed, the images should certainly be discernable. Ideally, you should set your camera's shutter speed to exactly the length of time that it takes to "paint" the CRT screen, but any speed greater than that one will also result in a decent image.