The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:52 am

Makrond wrote:It's dumber than a rock.
"Stay"?

Miyamoto Usagi

Post by Miyamoto Usagi » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:18 pm

Makrond wrote:
Zantalos wrote:I don't think that kind of stuff would be that hard to do. For instance in Lugaru discerning from a brave rabbit to a cowardly rabbit would relate to when they run away. A brave or proud rabbit will fight till he's almost dead, a coward or sensible rabbit will run as soon as he's hurt or if you pull out a bigger weapon.

And then you can also discern them apart by making them fight together or by themselves, whether it's one at a time like Assassin's Creed or Lugaru style where they all attack together would be based if they are team players or soloists.

It wouldn't be true AI but that's all you really need.
I agree. AI, at least at the moment, doesn't have to be perfect, just reasonably varied.
Zantalos wrote:The other thing is the way people spot you. I don't like how in games like Hitman you'll just walk around all fine and dandy, you're pretty far from everyone else so you start running a bit and then all of the sudden every single person is shooting at you without hesitation. I like what they did in Farcry, when you are spotted briefly they won't know if they really saw you or just a monkey. Instead of everyone getting perfect vision and spotting you as soon as you're seen and then having a perfect fix on you the entire fight, you can do things like shoot them once and they'll turn and take cover in that direction, then they'll send out search parties that simply walk in the direction they heard sound, and if you shoot again and then book it out of there they'll shoot at where the gunfire came from but they won't know exactly where you are so you can sneak around them while they're trying to suppress and out flank you. Farcry wasn't perfect, but it had really good AI.
The Wii version doesn't have AI like that. It's dumber than a rock.

I'd be happy with AI like that, especially combined with the above idea of U479. Not forever, but's it's a reasonable stop-gap for the underlying flaws of AI. I admit that realistic AI - at least the way I want it - is a long way off, but it's not a pipe-dream.
Lol.

The Hitman AI wasn't bad at all in Blood Money, though. Methinks Silent Assassin had a glitch; But yeah, Blood Money had faaaaar better AI. It's one of those rare sequels that really whoops the original's ass.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:50 am

I did enjoy Blood Money's AI, but it did sometimes seem a little impossible.

I like the first mission how you don't need to kill all three snipers... my first playthrough, I couldn't find the one on the ferris wheel, and he started drawing a bead, but I ducked behind a building at the last second and the shot pinged off the wall. Woo!

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:33 pm

Miyamoto Usagi wrote:
Other people wrote:A lot of stuff.
A lot less stuff.
Yay for ginormous and useless quoting! Woot!

Makrond, sounds to me like your primary goal is just more open-ended gameplay in general. AI developed with that focus in mind doesn't necessarily have to be _realistic_.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:21 pm

Makrond wrote:I like the first mission how you don't need to kill all three snipers... my first playthrough, I couldn't find the one on the ferris wheel, and he started drawing a bead, but I ducked behind a building at the last second and the shot pinged off the wall. Woo!
I like disintegrating pigeons on that level.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:53 pm

Makrond wrote:I like the first mission how you don't need to kill all three snipers... my first playthrough, I couldn't find the one on the ferris wheel, and he started drawing a bead, but I ducked behind a building at the last second and the shot pinged off the wall. Woo!
Lol I couldn't find all those guys either. I was like "Are they camouflaged or something?" and then about 10 minutes later I found them all rofl.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:56 pm

...That doesn't sound difficult to locate. I mean, unless it's a different floor from your own, three hundred feet below you or the like.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:40 am

Directly under the afternoon sun. Yeah, my pupils got a workout.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:23 pm

Well they were hard to find. I spent ages just standing in that window looking around all over the place, and forgot to look on the fucking ferris wheel...

You know, I don't usually investigate ferris wheels just in case there's a guy standing up high on it...how the fuck did he even get up there?

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Nevermind. (-.-)