the AI

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Raneman25

the AI

Post by Raneman25 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:27 pm

This has the best ai for an indie game ever.but it has assorted problems.

Example:If a dead flaming body rolled past you would you continue walking too?

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:09 am

Hey, nobody said AI was perfect...

I have yet to see a game where the AI is completely believable and realistic. Many have come close, but then some quirk or oversight ruins the immersion.

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:23 pm

Like the 5 second memory span of the enemies in hitman.

Raneman25

Post by Raneman25 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:34 pm

Makrond wrote:Hey, nobody said AI was perfect...

I have yet to see a game where the AI is completely believable and realistic. Many have come close, but then some quirk or oversight ruins the immersion.
Look up "Far Cry 2"

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:38 am

Played Far Cry, wasn't at all impressed with the AI. Too much like Medal of Honour, and by that I mean it was too knowledgable. Besides, if you've got some random running past you at 100mph, are you going to loose off shots? Nope, you're gonna shit yourself. Even trained soldiers would probably take a few seconds to realise what was going on, and by then you're gone.

Truly believable AI would actually be significantly easier to play against, as long as you know how to exploit human weaknesses, which are completely different to those of most AI.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:10 am

The thing is, humans can be unpredictable...which could be emulated using some kind of randomized scripting or such. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would make it more interesting.

If you see a flaming corpse roll by you, each person (or whatever...) would react differently. Some might check out the body, others might try to put it out, some might scream and run away or freeze.

My main complaint about FarCry...as smart as they are in groups and how tough they could be to beat once they got you in their gunsights...they were moronic in other areas...for example...throwing grenades at you...from an island away...watching 5 troops run around the same corner and being shot in the same place rather than trying to find a different path.

Raneman25

Post by Raneman25 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:49 am

Makrond wrote:Played Far Cry, wasn't at all impressed with the AI. Too much like Medal of Honour, and by that I mean it was too knowledgable. Besides, if you've got some random running past you at 100mph, are you going to loose off shots? Nope, you're gonna shit yourself. Even trained soldiers would probably take a few seconds to realise what was going on, and by then you're gone.

Truly believable AI would actually be significantly easier to play against, as long as you know how to exploit human weaknesses, which are completely different to those of most AI.
I said FAR CRY 2 not FAR CRY

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:40 pm

Dude, the game is far away from completion. Your assumptions are not facts.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:26 pm

Raneman25 wrote:I said FAR CRY 2 not FAR CRY
But we are talking about Far Cry no Far Cry 2. Get with the program.
Last edited by Grayswandir on Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:20 am

You think this topic is gonna carry far, then?

..nevermind

Although I agree to the fact that AI rarely gets anywhere near perfect, there's some more points to be told...
In your example, Raneman, yes, a thoroughly trained soldier would be taught to ignore flaming bodies whirring past and attack the target dead straight.

However, if you meant the flaming body actually stopped in front of the AI, I think it should be implemented that he'd jump over/walk past it, instead of setting himself aflame...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:48 pm

Come on, if you were going to give an example of good AI, mention the marines from Half Life. They were ruthless, and tough as nails, and flanked you, and worked in groups. They made you think about what the fuck you were doing before you did it. The AI of the marines in Half Life was far better than the AI of the mercenaries in Far Cry.

Raneman25

Post by Raneman25 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:31 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Come on, if you were going to give an example of good AI, mention the marines from Half Life. They were ruthless, and tough as nails, and flanked you, and worked in groups. They made you think about what the fuck you were doing before you did it. The AI of the marines in Half Life was far better than the AI of the mercenaries in Far Cry.
Yes,I guess *watches dumb AI run into hazards and die*.
How about the combines in Half life 2?

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:53 pm

Grayswandir wrote:If you see a flaming corpse roll by you, each person (or whatever...) would react differently. Some might check out the body, others might try to put it out, some might scream and run away or freeze.
I'd be the one laughing on the sidelines

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:56 pm

The A.I in F.E.A.R is very good. They work together against you, I.E taking two different paths to flank you and get you in a crossfire, having a few dudes fire at you and distract you so you don't hear the grenade thrown at your face till your face is a few feet away from your body.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:39 pm

The AI in Pacman is just as good, actually. Except they don't have grenades.