78%
No
22%

Total votes: 18

zip
lugaruguru

Lugaru MUD Proposal

Post by zip » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:05 pm

This has been proposed before I know.. but it has occurred to me that our community is much larger now, perhaps large enough to support a MUD.
Obviously I do not want to invest many, many hours into developing this if no one is going to play it.
I have other projects to work on but I should be able to devote a reasonable amount of time to this. I will need builders to create the world however, as I don't wish to spend ALL of my time on this.
It will most likely CircleMUD as I already have some code for Lugaru using that codebase.. However, codebases like ROM have more source code available, and much more in-depth code for races and classes, skills, crafting etc.
Feedback is extremely welcome.

What this will NOT be:
A modification of Lugaru with online play, it is a text based MUD.

A complete reproduction of Lugaru combat, if it has reversals it will be automatic based your character's skill. Why? Imagine this, with players reversing manually.
<10hp 10m> Zip throws a u-punch!
block
<10hp 10m> You block Zip's u-punch!
upunch
<10hp 9m> Zip blocks your u-punch!
Etc....

What it WILL be:
A fun place to hang out, chat, and have pulse pounding PK battles.
A more in-depth version of Lugaru, you can explore the entire island(and perhaps beyond? ^_^ ) at will.
An ongoing war with multiple factions and races battling for control of the island.
Atomsphere!

What it MIGHT have:
Complex crafting.
Classes and races... currently you just pick "race" which is realy a class in disguise. SunTzu(the circle version I use) has support for races and a lot of other stuff.. its rather hack-ish though.
Economy

Crassworm

Post by Crassworm » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:51 pm

Thats a great idea. I've never really gotten into MUDing, and a Lugaru MUD seems like a great place to start!

:D

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:27 pm

Hmm... even if im !!ONLY A 9 YEAR CHILD!!, i could Learn Programming Such thingys... (ok atleast i can make a Simple Flash Shooter)

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:42 pm

Not looking so good Zip. Now where do you get or download CircleMUD? Also do I need a license to use it? A license is one thing I cannot afford right now.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:56 pm

What isn't looking so good?
And.. no, you don't need a license. But you do have to conform TO the license, which is that you cannot charge money for your game as you are recieving the source for free.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:31 am

What source? There is no CircleMUD.sit or .dmg or .img, it's all tar.gz or tar.bz2! Which one works for Mac? Forget this, I found out. Now my only question is...how do you use .pl files?

DreadfulLemon

Post by DreadfulLemon » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:22 pm

I love MUDs, I'd definitely play it. Will it be a mostly PK MUD, a hack n' slash/party based kick everyones asses MUD, or a roleplaying mud?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:30 pm

The first 2 certainly, the third.. well, thats up to the players.
There will be party based explortation and fighting within races/alliances, PK will take place between opposing factions/races.

Ryan1

Post by Ryan1 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:16 pm

That would be wicked! I would SO play a Lugaru MUD!
You would join a tribe of rabbits, or a race, whatever, and then you and your tribe would fight with other tribes on the island.

DudetheCreator

Post by DudetheCreator » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:26 am

I would definatly play it, is there a dev team somewhere i could join? I'm always willing to help, even though I don't know perl.

<edit>

or java, or flash, I can't remember python or logo, i am learning more advanced C++, what about basic? i don't know html either but what else is MS word for? :lol:

Ryan1

Post by Ryan1 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:10 pm

I too would actually be interested in making my own MUD of some sort.. what tools do you need? What sort of work is involved?
(*Sounds like an idiot*)

The Spoon

Post by The Spoon » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:51 pm

(*Points at an idiot*)

I would definitely play a lugaru MUD, but, as of this current point in time, have no skill in game-making what so ever, so I can't be much help.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:31 pm

No perl involved I am afraid.. plain C.
The LugaruMUD doesn't have anything to do with david, I got his permission some time back but he is not involved with its creation.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:22 pm

Alright.. 7 people say they will play, thats good enough for a start, and it willl attract more players.
I've settled(I think :D) on a codebase, SunderMUD 2.1.
I was originally going to use CircleMUD... we will see, I might have to move back which means abandoning all the work I've done on Sundermud.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:11 pm

Races are in, there will still be a lot of tuning but they are in.
At this point things are still very flexible so it is important that any ideas/objections be put in now.

Code: Select all

Wolf:
Strong melee, strong senses of smell and hearing.

Rabbit:
Sneaky hit and run fighter.

Lizard:
Technician type, can set traps and make poisons.
Also at this point I do not plan on having classes, again objections should be put in now :)