Lugaru 2 - Scope vs. Release Date

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:35 pm

Who was the comedian who had the bit about writing the ransom note in Microsoft Word and the paperclip popping up and going "Would you like some help?" :lol: :lol:

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:41 am

I thought I had a post there... OMFG I'M GOING CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunno who you're talking about, but I remember a stupid picture floating around in which Clippy - yes, I know the name of the paperclip... sad...

Oh, fuck it. I'm just going to show you:

How the hell did this thread get so far off-track?

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:32 am

Ok... Back to Lugru Phenix.

How will it be avalable?
Can we use our old codes to acsess the new game, will we have to by a brand new copy? or will it be free, leaving your (David's) old work obsolite or Free or good as Free?

Also, David, are you planing on recreating the old Level layouts for the Challanges? Id really like to see them recreated as life like places, and not just boxes all over the place, and Im sure everyone else would too.
Or will there be new challanges?

FINufo

Post by FINufo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:42 am

Why don't you guys make lugaru 2 free...More cheap, more happy :D

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:22 am

I recall the code for Lugaru 1 being lost and that's a damn shame, but concerning Lugaru 2, PORT YOUR GAME TO 360! Use XNA or make a deal with Microsoft for other options! Or talk to indies who did an XBLA title! You will make a fortune if the game delivers!

Especially because most of the XBLA titles aren't good! If you want to blow minds, port the game to console!

That is all.

Edit: Also, get it onto Steam. If you haven't realized it yet, the vast userbase is a warranty for better-than-average titles to sell in the millions. I'm not kidding!

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:27 am

Steam and XBLA are both possibilities I am considering. The lack of quality in XBLA games now has mixed effects: L2 would stand out more, but I think a lot of gamers have given up on XBLA. I used to check XBLA all the time to see if anything interesting has come out, but now I don't bother, because nothing ever does.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:24 am

Well, with the right advertising campaign, incorporating the usual suspects for NA video game crazy residents, like kotaku, gametrailers, some GAF hype, 1up show coverage etc, you'd get a reasonable chance to avoid the XBLA smell of cheapness.
Especially if you've got a Steam release beforehand - that would definitely create a fat amount of buzz.

I don't know how MS deals with Steam-published games though - afaik first Steam, then XBLA never happened before.

vvi77iam

Post by vvi77iam » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:00 am

oh man please dont david. :( come on guys we dont really want another story line to follow right? :? i mean im fine where the game last left off.
Alpha wolf quote -"if you kill me now you will over populate the island with the rabbit race and bring on civil war MUAHAHAH":twisted: ... so those weren't the lasts bosses exact words ( :roll: especially the maniacal laugh) but key words in the quote were "over-population" and "civil war" meaning mass multiplayer online gaming:!:

sure u can have a story mode within that where Fiver (the one rabbit guard at the entrance of the Rock Hall) takes the place as king and no one ever heres from Turner again but some one takes a stand against fiver and makes his own kingdom and thus we've got our selves rabbit civil war :idea: . and that could be the story but the game would be just peachy :wink: if the game more resolved around the multiplayer aspect instead of single player like where u chose a side you want to fight for in the civil war.

but the thing i loved most about Lugaru was actually the endless environment landscapes. (especially the dessert lands) i would love it if in lugaru 2 that you :roll: (David) would create the entire island of lugaru as one BIG :shock: map, were also, you DO add in the city environments that u were talking about (topic-D and topic-C at the beginning of this post where u were explaining that u were going to throw out those aspects of the game)

in the end please dont get rid of the endless beautiful landscapes meant for rabbit frolicking, and please build villages and cities that look just like the picture u have for the wolfire software logo at the top of this webpage with the dog with a bow-staff and the village in the back ground. id just love to defend that village from on coming renegade wolfs that survived Tuners genocide :twisted: .

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:38 am

Relax; David never said he wasn't going to stop making L2 with all the features you described, just that in the meantime (to make us all shut up) he would release a sort of Lugaru 1.5: an upgraded version of the original, made in the Phoenix engine. Also do you realise that was one sentence?

vvi77iam

Post by vvi77iam » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:17 pm

yea sry i didn't really read through davids first post completely as u did my post. and if u cant c the periods and exclamation marks and question marks then u just made the same mistake i did. for your health!

vvi77iam

Post by vvi77iam » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:24 pm

Makrond wrote:Relax; David never said he wasn't going to stop making L2 with all the features you described, just that in the meantime (to make us all shut up) he would release a sort of Lugaru 1.5: an upgraded version of the original, made in the Phoenix engine. Also do you realise that was one sentence?
if that is what u meant by that last sentence regarding sentence structure.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:09 am

I'm still interested to hear if this is a spin-off or a more direct follow up. I suppose I'll care alot less if David&Co get multiplayer working (:O) but I enjoyed the plot of Lugaru - I think I was surprised at how good this game was overall considering I installed it as a bit of a laugh (rofl - kungfu bunnies! Wait a moment, this is brilliant!).

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:40 pm

Ill tell you what I liked about the Starcraft Serise:
The Demo, and the Actual game were two diferent game Experince.
The Demo was where you were a Commander, and you were to clean out some Rebbles. Thats when you are then Zerg (or in that campain: Xenomorphs) come in. you are then guranted Reenforcments from some Mysterius Specalists.

You then have to Save these Scintests in one of those missions I call a Space hulk game (spacehulk is fun)
Your task then is to clean out there forces, Then theres that Clif hanger.

The Full Version Is another game. There are three Interlinking Liniar campains. but I will not go into them because you should buy the game.

How ever, my point is, This Idea will give people a Reason to want to buy the game. As a good Salesman gose, you get the player hooked and they spend money on YOUR product!

The Full game could also have some refereances to the Demo, that you will only get IF you played the Demo.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:57 pm

I bought StarCraft. I was disappointed after a while; it was just another RTS.

Unfortunately, I've never been good with RTSes, they're too fast paced. I've barely got bunkers up or something and I get nuclear launch messages, then one of them lands on me and I die, gahm ovuh.

Well, actually I got marine rushed or something. This was all against the AI, too (On a multiplayer map); I fared even worse against real players.

Oddly enough, all this talking about StarCraft makes me want to pick up my lovely little StarCraft Battle Chest, complete with strategy guide that isn't going to help whatsoever…

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:54 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:I bought StarCraft. I was disappointed after a while; it was just another RTS.