Lugaru 2 - Scope vs. Release Date

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:11 am

You guys, the plan is very simple. You don't remember the plan, here is the plan.

1. Make Killer Game Engine

2. ?

3. Profit

Are you guys stupid??!! The only thing left now is part 2 this a win win situation people, he finishes college in June!

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:39 am

This reminds me of Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike: Source, except this time it's Lugaru and Lugaru: Phoenix. :P

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:32 pm

Wait.. That is teh wrongs!

1. Make killer game engine
2. Make levels.
3. ?
4. Profit!

Levels shouldn't take long.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 pm

invertin wrote:2. Make levels.
Unless I misjudged what Zantalos meant, I'm pretty sure the "make levels" was included in the "?".

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:18 pm

? is just a random running joke that people put into those lists of things to do.

Though I never bothered asking anyone about it, I just assumed. I may be wrong.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:03 pm

Thankyou for the update, David.

If this is going to be a fairly short & linear affair, that does give you an opportunity to do things outside the Turner's story arc. Might be interesting to play out some of the moments mentioned in the first game - like the raids on villages and so on.

Essentially what I'm saying is - if its not the sequal, it doesn't have to be a sequal! Which is great because it gives us another neat project to look forward to - and one thats much closer too!

*Side note*
Still wondering what elements of Assassin's Creed you thought interesting enough to adapt into your own projects - I'm hoping a certain level of the satisfaction and cinematic quality of the combat personally (and wondering if any of the free-running stuff would suit at all).

..sigh..

Damnnable console gamers getting AC before us PC guys :( Should be a good way to end Febuary :)

MONKEYZ RULE
mashed patatos and whipped cream
Location: Somewhere too warm for a jacket, yet too cold for shorts.

Post by MONKEYZ RULE » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:05 pm

Cmyszka wrote::? talk about counting you chickens before they hatch... :|

cool down, don't get so hyped about it. It'll only make the waiting more painful
hey, i waited for toribash 3. it can't be that bad

GOOD FARKING LORD IT WAS HELL WAITING FOR TORIBASH 3!!!

Vetrox

Post by Vetrox » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:57 pm

This is awesome David!
A question, if you will?

After seeing major titles like Crysis, Halo 3 and soon to come SW: The Force Unleashed utilizing effects and features that might be in Lugaru 2 like motion blurr, ragdoll physics & animation and depth of view, how do you feel your own systems hold up?

Judging by the screens they still look excellent and on par, which is quite cool thinking of the budget and man-hours that went into those games.

Good luck with your studies, we're looking forward to reading your blog again in June!

BTW, how come this didn't end up on your blog? I nearly missed it!

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:55 pm

A lot of the checklist graphics features I had been working on are not really important for L2; they were more intended as practice with vertex and pixel shaders so that I can make any effect that I might need.

I don't want to go in the same direction as Crysis because there is a tradeoff with adding complicated new shaders: not only does framerate decrease, but so does graphics quality. That seems counter-intuitive, but to increase the framerate to a playable level, gamers have to decrease screen resolution and turn off anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, and they end up with a pixellated mess of fancy new lighting effects.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:29 am

I always wondered what those settings were when I was flicking them off on games like F.E.A.R. and stuff..

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:45 pm

Unfortunately for me, nobody's going to lower these things enough for a 1.4 Ghz iBook G4 to run them at 1024 x 768 without getting just enough FPS drop to make aiming in an FPS rather hard at some points.

Case in point: Tremulous and (Slightly more so) Urban Terror, they seem very well oiled at 640 x 480, still go reasonably well at 800 x 600, but run like crap in some areas at 1024 x 768. It seems as if FPSes were made to run in 640 x 480…

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:16 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:It seems as if FPSes were made to run in 640 x 480…
No...FPSs are generally graphical showcases, meaning they will generally run worse on a low-end computer than most other genres.

Vetrox

Post by Vetrox » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:50 pm

David wrote:A lot of the checklist graphics features I had been working on are not really important for L2; they were more intended as practice with vertex and pixel shaders so that I can make any effect that I might need.

I don't want to go in the same direction as Crysis because there is a tradeoff with adding complicated new shaders: not only does framerate decrease, but so does graphics quality. That seems counter-intuitive, but to increase the framerate to a playable level, gamers have to decrease screen resolution and turn off anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, and they end up with a pixellated mess of fancy new lighting effects.
Practice seemed to pay of then :)

Lugaru has always been about gameplay in my opinion anyway,
and yeah, Crysis doesn't make it easy for the consumer.
My father recently got a new gaming-PC, he's able to play it with high settings only after sacrificing resolution and aa for it to run decently.
It does pack atmosphere though, I have to give it that.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:37 am

wormguy wrote:
BunnyWithStick wrote:It seems as if FPSes were made to run in 640 x 480…
No...FPSs are generally graphical showcases, meaning they will generally run worse on a low-end computer than most other genres.
That's what I meant…

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:55 pm

If you read most of the stuff about FarCry and Crysis they made it quite clear that High and Ultra-high were NOT for normal gaming machines, but for the absoulate top-end, and for future-proofing the games respectivally. The idea with the Crytek games is that they still look good 3-4 years later because you can still turn the detail up.