Lugaru 2 - Scope vs. Release Date

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
David
Project Leader

Lugaru 2 - Scope vs. Release Date

Post by David » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:22 pm

I am starting my last semester of college, so I will be done in June with no other constraints on my time. Luguru 2 as originally planned is very ambitious, it requires:
a- New physics-based animation, movement and fighting
b- Updated graphics rendering
c- Open-ended exploration of large areas
d- Populated procedural cities

Now so far I have a lot of work done on parts a and b, and not as much on parts c and d. Therefore I am considering making a new game that is like an updated version of Lugaru 1 in the new engine (and a different storyline), and then working on a more open-ended Lugaru game later.

MONKEYZ RULE
mashed patatos and whipped cream
Location: Somewhere too warm for a jacket, yet too cold for shorts.

Post by MONKEYZ RULE » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:34 pm

lugaru 2 is done in june?!?!?! LUGARU TWO IS TEH PWNZ! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-
EEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:40 pm

This is what I was expecting, to be honest. The original synopsis of the game's aspects made it sound like it would require 4 years of development.

This is really what I was looking for anyway. I'll be playing Lugaru 2 for the same core game mechanics that made Lugaru 1 so great, but done on a higher scale of complexity.

June though? Really? When does the semester finish? April? The term for us that starts on the 21st and the accompanying exams finish in April.

P.S. I would like to thank the American third level education system for the notion of symesterisation. It makes everything a lot easier. Rofl

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:07 pm

Guys he graduates college in June. :P

I completely support making an updated version of Lugaru 1. All the work of creating an engine with killer graphics and a revolutionary animation system is done and that's like everything you need to make Lugaru! I would be so happy to see you put out a new Lugaru 1 game right now and then see Lugaru 2 later when you get done with parts c and d, I think that idea is awesome.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:21 pm

^

Roflmao. Killed their hopes.

David, whatever you do, don't rush it. I'd rather wait for a brilliant game than get something that could be better before that.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:10 pm

There are so many people who have played the original Lugaru and are completely content with seeing a sequel with just brand new graphics and story. That's what they expect to see, a sequel with more enemies, more weapons, new levels, new story. That is exactly the kind of sequel an upgraded Lugaru game would be with all this new stuff.
And then there are tons of people out there who have not even played the original game and showing them this game with new graphics and procedural animations will equal instant buy.

Plus, how are you going to make Lugaru 2 with a Lugaru 1 budget, you make 2 games with one engine that's like DOUBLE the profits! I expect you make like millions of dollars in linear Lugaru sales alone and then all these programmers and level designers and artists will be like, "oh my god you have to give me a job David, please!" And bam Lugaru 2 could have this like huge budget, and a huge team of artists, writers, and programmers, and then turn out to be this super awesome and famous game that will get a perfect 10 out of review sites and be owned by everyone. It would be so awesome! That's what would happen! It would be so sick! A technical masterpiece now, a super awesome open ended Lugaru 2 later! Flippin sweet! Awesome! I vote for making game now, and open ended later.

I am like totally shaking in excitement!

Cmyszka

Post by Cmyszka » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:26 pm

:? talk about counting you chickens before they hatch... :|

cool down, don't get so hyped about it. It'll only make the waiting more painful

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I'm looking forward to it!

Geeze, you're already in your last semester.. Nice job!

Edit: Don't forget the Linux users, please :) I'd happily betatest anything on that OS in my spare time by the way :mrgreen:

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:35 am

I really approve of this idea. It'll give us something to munch on while you come up with the more ambitious version.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:52 am

David, what's with multiplayer? Are you planning to get it working in the mentioned release, at least deathmatch? Or is that out of the question?

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:18 am

rudel_ic wrote:David, what's with multiplayer? Are you planning to get it working in the mentioned release, at least deathmatch? Or is that out of the question?
I was wondering the same — I don't know if it's still in the final, but in the old betas of Lugaru, there was always the tease of the 'chat' button :P

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:32 pm

Not to mention the blog post about having basic multiplayer working in Phoenix. 8)

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:51 pm

Whatever you give us we will love. Your description of Lugaru 2 sounds awesome..I wasn't expecting anything that intricate and new. But your 2nd idea of an updated Lugaru 1 gets me excited too. I'll be happy with whatever you make, and in the meantime I'll keep attempting a new campaign :)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:40 pm

Cmyszka wrote::? talk about counting you chickens before they hatch... :|

cool down, don't get so hyped about it. It'll only make the waiting more painful
I was thinking the same thing. We shouldn't put pressure on them making a worldwide success Top Ten Games Of The Year game. That's unrealistic because it's not going to get the hype of other games. To me it's not about a blockbuster budget. It's about them making the best game they possibly can, and us taking it for what it is. Not going "Oh but why don't you have this in it?" or "Why didn't you do it this way?" Let's all just try to be patient.

Also, when I say that it's not going to get the hype of games like Halo 3 or Assassin's Creed, that doesn't mean it won't be a game that the majority of people will play and say "Hey I love this!" But expecting them to break into mainstream gaming with the next game or two is ridiculous.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:09 pm

David wrote:Therefore I am considering making a new game that is like an updated version of Lugaru 1 in the new engine (and a different storyline), and then working on a more open-ended Lugaru game later.
OMFGZ DEMO~!

Sounds great, especially if it means you can churn out a decent game reasonably quick to tide us over until the real one comes out.