Lugaru:Empire, Another Campaign!

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Jendraz

Re: Lugaru:Empire, Another Campaign!

Post by Jendraz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:34 am

Silentz wrote:So. I'm new to these forums... and I've encountered an ordeal of sorts...

I've had Lugaru for a while, the full version I mean and I found Empire and Temple. So I decided to try Temple, it didn't work so well as a triangle popped up at the top of the screen, a white one and the world map was just a gigantic "QUIT" with one point on it, which lead to the challenge level with the 4 bunnies and the fire in the middle and it's really dark, SO ANYWAYS. This is happening with Empire too :( I've followed the instructions, redownloaded both and it keeps happening, soooooo *drumroll* I need help.
I don't really know, sorry. If your Lugaru has been working correctly for awhile now, then the only thing I can think of is that you replaced something wrong when you "installed" the campaigns. Maybe a texture name is wrong or something. So the only advice I can offer is make sure that the normal campaign works for you, and then make sure and put one of the new campaigns in correctly, making sure the "world" texture and "main" file are all good.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:56 am

What happens if you only install the stuff from Temple or Empire that goes into Data/maps, and the file that goes into Data/campaigns? (Starting from a fresh copy of Lugaru.)

Silentz

Post by Silentz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:16 pm

Silb wrote:What happens if you only install the stuff from Temple or Empire that goes into Data/maps, and the file that goes into Data/campaigns? (Starting from a fresh copy of Lugaru.)
The same thing happens, except now there's a map, and there's no white triangle at the main screen... The point is in the same place and the same level comes up

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:04 am

Here's my feedback, keeping in mind that I haven't yet finished it (I'm at the third Sky Palace level, so I should be pretty close to the end, though).

* Some of the levels are difficult in what I found to be a not-very-fun way. In particular, I'm thinking of:
** Dante's hideout, where you have to make a lot of very precise jumps, with the penalty of failure being having to run back to the beginning and do it all over again. Jumping puzzles can be fun, but it's far easier to make an irritating jumping puzzle than it is to make a fun one.
** The fight with three wolves. I don't know about the players here, but I know I can't take on three wolves in a brawl. Maybe if I had an unlimited supply of knives. But not in this situation. So I had to lose 'em, which is easily done by jumping on top of the structure that Ash starts in front of. After that you can lure them away one by one. But this feels very exploity, since the wolves realistically shouldn't be able to lose you so easily.
** The fortress level with four wolves (two guarding the entrance, one in the middle, one in a corner) and some rabbits. Generally I just feel like this level's too long -- you have to pick off the enemies very carefully. Even granted that you can ninja your way to the sword-carrying rabbit as your first victim, and stealth the other rabbits, by the time you get to the wolves you've been playing for a while already, and then you have to kill at least two flawlessly to have a reasonable chance of not dying. On the medium difficulty a single kick from one of these guys can kill you -- there's very little margin for error.
** The Sky Palace level that has very narrow corridors. Sadly, Lugaru doesn't deal well with this situation; the camera goes a bit wonky, the enemies get hung up on corners, and it's all too easy to get sent out of bounds. I like what you were trying to go for, but it's important to recognize the limitations of the engine. This level also suffers from major framerate issues until I kill one of the rabbits, which makes navigating the corridors even harder...you understand the problem, I hope.

All in all, though, the campaign's fun. I appreciate the chance to try out my stealth moves on new patrol groups and face new combinations of enemies. The difficulty could've used a little tuning, is all.

Edit: Okay, I finished the campaign. The General has an absurd amount of health -- he took three leg cannons and a whole bunch of regular beating before dying, and I'm not talking that puny sweep-kick x2 combo either. Anyway.

The level in the Sky Palace with three wolves, two on the edges and one on a raised dias (the same level you fight Brutus in) has a few minor issues. Specifically, the wolves get hung up on the edges of the dias. So if you're feeling clever, the easy way to do this level is lure the dias wolf onto the edge area and get him stuck, then stealth-kill the other two wolves before dealing with the dias wolf at your leisure. You can even get him stuck repeatedly; each time is worth a spinning kick to the back. Brutus is similarly vulnerable.

The Sky Palace level with the garden has a different issue - the wolves are all too willing to leap into the air without verifying that there's ground where they're going to land. Of the four wolves, two of them were killed from falling to their deaths. The other two I stealth-killed -- did you know you can jump from the "armory" area up onto the walls, and drop down behind the wolves on the right side? A crouch-jump just barely gets you enough height.

I mention these mainly because I was unable to clear these levels without abusing tricks like this. I'm decent enough in combat, but I'm not perfect, and there's so little room for error when fighting lots of wolves that it's simply not practical to keep restarting until I get a perfect run. And this was all on the medium difficulty; I shudder to think what it's like on Insane.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with most of what you're saying, so I'll just make a few tiny comments.
Derakon wrote: ** Dante's hideout, where you have to make a lot of very precise jumps, with the penalty of failure being having to run back to the beginning and do it all over again. Jumping puzzles can be fun, but it's far easier to make an irritating jumping puzzle than it is to make a fun one.
When I made these jumps it was mainly to emphasize how cool it is that your character can jump so far. It feels cool to me when I make an impossible leap, land, and then proceed to fight a couple of enemies. Kind of cinematic. The jumps weren't intended to be difficult. All you have to do, after all, is line up to the point closest to your destination and crouch jump. You are guaranteed to make it.
Derakon wrote: ** The fortress level with four wolves ...by the time you get to the wolves you've been playing for a while already, and then you have to kill at least two flawlessly to have a reasonable chance of not dying. On the medium difficulty a single kick from one of these guys can kill you -- there's very little margin for error.
You're right about going for the sword first. If you get that, the wolves should be no problem. Hold the attack, and they can't even touch you.
Derakon wrote: The Sky Palace level with the garden has a different issue - the wolves are all too willing to leap into the air without verifying that there's ground where they're going to land. Of the four wolves, two of them were killed from falling to their deaths.
That is a bad thing, but I never ran into it in testing... Most of the area you fight in is surrounded by walls too high to jump over.
Derakon wrote: did you know you can jump from the "armory" area up onto the walls, and drop down behind the wolves on the right side?
Yep. Good job on finding it.

Thanks again for the comments, if I ever make another campaign (*shudder*) I will certainly try to improve.

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:04 pm

The wolf in the garden is close to a "window", and one of the wolves is on the bridge. If you aren't able to stealth the first wolf on the right, there's another window nearby as well. I will admit I lured them close to the windows, initially with the thought of trying to reverse them out into the abyss. But then they leapt in of their own accord, so...oh, well.

I think the jump that was most annoying in Dante's hideout was the one where you have to jump onto a boulder, precisely because it's not just a "jump as far as you can and you'll make it" jump.

I do agree, though, the jumping in Lugaru is awesome. The game at times reminds me of the city fights from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. A pity the wallkicks are so hard to use effectively.

As for the sword, I dunno, for all that I abuse the AI a lot, I find it kinda cheap to abuse swords that way, so I generally end up trying to just stab my opponents while they're on the ground or take advantage of the improved reversals. Or backstab. That's good too. But your point is well taken.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:28 am

Well, I found all these little details making it all the more enjoyable. My rating is a 10/10 ^-^

Count Roland

Re: that one other girl who joined.

Post by Count Roland » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:21 pm

Alison wrote:Hey! I've had Lugaru for a while (full, I mean), and I came here lately. I saw this thread and couldn't belive it!

I compliment you on your efforts. :)
everyone seems to be wondering where that other girl in the forums was, so here she is. thank me later lol.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:28 pm

lol
nice

Count Roland

Re:

Post by Count Roland » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:51 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:ZOMG THE SCREEN NAME IS "ALISON" THAT'S A GIRL'S NAME.

R U A GRL???

DO U HAV...BOOBS??? :o

hahahaha
and there goes turner scaring her off.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:04 am

Bad Ren!!!!

LlamaLuke

Post by LlamaLuke » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:17 am

hey hey
can anybody help me out?
I'm up to that level where you start looking at a big blue ice tower with a small ice structure next to it....i think you have to get to the top but i havent had much success...is there a special long jump technique i'm supposed to use?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:39 am

Ducking increases jump height, not running. Remember this always. It is the most basic of the basics. :wink:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Re:

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:11 pm

Count Roland wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:ZOMG THE SCREEN NAME IS "ALISON" THAT'S A GIRL'S NAME.

R U A GRL???

DO U HAV...BOOBS??? :o

hahahaha
and there goes turner scaring her off.
Muahahahahahaha. I'm so awesome.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:54 pm

YOu go nooby when you lose your purple for some reason...