Another "I'm having problems with dialogues" topic

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
StRinG

Another "I'm having problems with dialogues" topic

Post by StRinG » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:56 pm

Yes, I know what you're going to tell me. First off, yes, I checked every single other thread on dialogues, and yes, I checked the wiki. I'm getting the feeling that I'm doing something wrong, as opposed to technical problems (that is to say, no, nothing's crashing). So, I made a dialogue in the "dialogues" folder of "Lugaru". This dialogue is of the exact format as stated on the wiki. My problem is getting it to run. I'm getting the feeling, that once I have all characters in position, and type "dialogue 1 [insert dialogue name without .txt here]", I'm supposed to be taken into a new editing mode, where I "direct" the characters to speak, using commands specified in the wiki. Alas, once I type the command into the console, no new promt of any kind appears. It's as if I didn't even enter a command. I checked and double checked the wiki, and it doesn't tell me what to actually do AFTER I enter the dialogue command. Am I missing something? Sorry for the long problem statement, I just want to be completely clear on this. Thanks in advance.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Re: Another "I'm having problems with dialogues" topic

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:59 am

Use "dialogue [insert dialogue name without .txt here] 1" instead. David apparently got it mixed up one time and quite some time later, Silb found out it was a mixup with the argument order. Apparently it's not quite incredibly well known yet.

StRinG

Post by StRinG » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:14 pm

Hm... It still won't work. Is something actually supposed to happen if I enter these commands? Or... Or does the file name have to be a certain format? I type the commands into the console, and all that happens once I exit out of the console, is that the camera resets to face my main character.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:43 pm

StRinG wrote:Hm... It still won't work. Is something actually supposed to happen if I enter these commands? Or... Or does the file name have to be a certain format? I type the commands into the console, and all that happens once I exit out of the console, is that the camera resets to face my main character.
The file name doesn't have to be a certain format (just make sure it's a .txt file). After you type your command, the first line of dialogue should appear. You then set up the camera angle using the movement controls, hit the number corresponding to the character who says the line, and so on, until you're done. The screen will then go red, and you have to save in the console and restart the application. The dialogue should then work.

The fact that your camera resets to the main character seems to suggest that you are entering the mode. Do you see any line of dialogue appear?

StRinG

Post by StRinG » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:27 pm

Yes, I thought so too. But no. No dialogue anywhere. It's supposed to appear on the bottom, on the background color I set in the file, yes? Well, the camera resets to face the character, but it still moves with the mouse, and doesn't zoom in like it's supposed to on dialogues... I doubt it's something with the format. I edited the example file to fit the template, and went over the text several times. Lemme see if the example works...
edit: No. The example file won't start either. This is weird. Then it's probably not my edits that are disabling the mode.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:47 pm

String, the way you wrote the command the first time around command was correct. It's "dialogue [number] [textfile]". The wiki has it right. David did say it wrong at one time, but it's an old story and the wiki has been correct since basically forever. Bad BunnyWithStick, confusing people! :P

Like Jendraz said if the dialogue works you should see the first line of dialogue appear right after you enter the command. You can't miss it. What you are seeing, with no line of dialogue appearing and just a jerk of the camera, seems to be as if Lugaru thought the dialogue had 0 box. Maybe loading up an empty file.

Just to be sure, could you try the following?
Delete the config file (Data/config.txt).
Put jack.txt below in the dialogues folder (it's a guaranteed correct dialogue file).
Fire up Lugaru, go to challenge 1.
Enter "hostile 0" in the console, go see the white rabbit, enter "dialogue 1 jack".
Do you get the same problem?

EDIT: dammit, extension .txt is not allowed for attachments, so you'll have to unzip it.
Attachments
jack.txt.zip
Dialogue file.
(847 Bytes) Downloaded 431 times

StRinG

Post by StRinG » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:49 pm

Great, thanks. I'll check it out immediately. This seems a little more plausible...
And jack.txt being the example.txt file?
Edit: oh nvm. Downloading files.
Last edited by StRinG on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Silb wrote:EDIT: dammit, extension .txt is not allowed for attachments, so you'll have to unzip it.
Fixed

StRinG

Post by StRinG » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:04 pm

Okay here's what I got. Firstly, I couldn't delete "config" because then Lugaru would revert to the lowest possible settings by default, and it wouldn't be in debug mode, so I wouldn't b able to access the console. In challenge mode I set hostility to 0, I used your dialogue "jack" on a walking rabbit with the setting on "1", but the dialogue mode still wouldn't start. I clicked, just in case, and every time I did so, the camera would reset facing my character, as if a dialogue is supposed to start, but isn't. Then I made my own immobile rabbit, and used the dialogue on him, but he wouldn't start either. I don't think the camera moved either. Maybe the problem's in the "config" file then?

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:46 pm

I'm pretty sure that's the behavior of a dialogue with 0 box. So Lugaru isn't loading example.txt or jack.txt or anything at all, just treating the dialogue like an empty dialogue. I don't really know how to fix that since it's a problem with Lugaru and not your dialogue.

Different things you could try though:
-deleting config.txt, launching Lugaru, quitting, setting debug to 1 in config.txt, trying dialogues again
-reinstalling Lugaru. You don't have to delete your old folder, just install a fresh copy of Lugaru next to it. Then try dialogues again with the fresh copy.
-all of the above with a safe mode boot (after all if Lugaru fails to load a file, it might have to do with the system) (unlikely though)
-if you have a Linux dual boot, a Classic mode in OS X, or any access to another OS, maybe on another computer, try that.

Things is, I *think* I had a problem similar to yours at some point, but I can't remember the specifics. I would bet on a global problem with Lugaru (solved by a reinstall), or the OS.

StRinG

Post by StRinG » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:50 pm

Alright, thanks again, I'll try those out. Hah, kinda painful going through everthing all over again... Ah well. Might as well get started...

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:23 pm

StRinG wrote:Alright, thanks again, I'll try those out. Hah, kinda painful going through everthing all over again... Ah well. Might as well get started...
Keep up the fight!

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:27 pm

Serves me right for accidentally quoting David's slightly incorrect post instead of yours. (I have a "Dialogue Help" text file containing David's info, plus your handy little post.)