Infrastructure

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Lotus Wolf

Infrastructure

Post by Lotus Wolf » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:59 am

Would anyone else like some custom models for things other than weapons?

apparently there was some trouble with collision detection, and whatnot. maybe that was resolved, but i have been messing with it and have found that using a single cube, and extruding it multiple times fixes this. maybe this was also figured out as well.

This model...
...shows up fine in-game...
...and the fps stays at about 45-46.

anyway, just expanding on my hobby, so if anyone wants a certain model, just let me know. :) :wink:

nutcracker

Re: Infrastructure

Post by nutcracker » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:35 am

Very nice :)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:37 pm

About the issues I was talking about:
The collision detection became weird after rotating / scaling stuff in-game, the framerate went down while standing / kneeling on the piece and looking in a specific direction while there were multiple pieces of that kind in the level.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:25 pm

The same issues sometimes happen with objects of type "cool". The issues disappear when you save and load the level from a file though; they only last while the level is freshly created. Maybe it's the same?

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:49 pm

likely... and i did notice a little jumpiness when i put more than maybe 3 within maybe 50 feet of eachother... HEY SILB!! you dissapeared for a while! i need some help with dialogues... not to be annoying, im sure you've answered these questions multiple times...

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:50 pm

Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe that's all it was.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:39 pm

here's the model, and a map to go with it. (a very simple one. just experiment with it. always save and then reload it to test, because that seems to fix a few of the minor problems.)

note for new people: if you put the model in the model folder it will show up in all maps with the object weird in it. and if you don't it wont show up in the new map, it will just be a normal object.
Attachments
weirdtest.zip
test map, and model
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 424 times

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:05 am

That works very well! Better than any of my stair-like things.

I've also scaled and rotated them etc, fought on them... So it appears to be fully functional.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:34 am

thanks, that was a simple object experiment, now we move on to stranger things. :D i actually made a house-like object by extruding one cube about 16 times, making four walls, top bottom and two sides, then there were four sections, and you could jump over the railings into another one... but i just figured out what i did wrong with that one, i forgot to convert quad's to tri's, on about three faces of the model, and this made it so you would get stuck inside parts of it... but i figured that out, and i wont forget it next time. anyway, next i'll try using more than one block, but still extruding. take it slow to find where the alleged problem is, you know? :D

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:12 am

this is made with 2 cubes, both extruded multiple times.
it looks great in-game, and the fps is still virtually unaffected.
The first cube was extruded into the stairs part of it, and the other made up the beams that circle around and become supports. nice, if i do say so myself.
i'll attach a map and the model again, try it out, and tell me if everything works ok.
Attachments
cooltest.zip
cool model, and map
(3.09 KiB) Downloaded 403 times

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:57 am

These are really good. It must be hard to make something that looks nice without being so complex that the game goes- AAARHHGHGHUDFHSA

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:42 pm

thanks, its actually not all that hard, but there are a few things you have to pay attention to, like not using too many blocks, and only extruding them.

i found one anomaly with this one, even though there are ledges turner will not grab onto them, i'll try making the same, or similar, model with only one block and see if thats it.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:02 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote:thanks, its actually not all that hard, but there are a few things you have to pay attention to, like not using too many blocks, and only extruding them.

i found one anomaly with this one, even though there are ledges turner will not grab onto them, i'll try making the same, or similar, model with only one block and see if thats it.
My weird house thing I posted in that other thread supports grabbing; if I recall correctly, I made it via extrusion of cube faces exclusively, starting with 1 cube. Later, I smoothed edge angles, that didn't affect the grab-ability at all, so if you were thinking about doing that, it should work.
With merged cubes and similar, it's probably not possible to grab edges. Can't really say for sure though :/

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:31 pm

yep thats the problem, if you use more than one cube it doesn't grab. i made a model very similar to that one, but one used on cube and extruded it about 23 times, and you can grab onto it, however, i found another anomaly, it shows up in-game but only half of the faces are visible to you, and when you touch the ones that are visible the others appear, and you are trapped inside the object, and the fps goes down, but is still tolerable. but if you put an enemy inside with you the fps hits 0-1... i found that hitting shift>t in edit-mode, i've looked in the hotkey reference and i couldn't find what that is, but it seems to fix the problem, but it also screws up the uv coordinates... i'll be looking into that. (maybe i just need to re-map them.)

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:26 pm

ok i think i have it:
to make a working model for on object you must;
use only one cube, so that it will support grabs.
do not mirror the object in blender if it comes out backwards in-game, because this causes the aforementioned half of the verticals problem.
only extrude the single cube, nearly everything can be achieved like this its just slightly more complicated. (i made a fortress with a lot of structure inside of it, and it was originally one cube)
optional: build up from Z in the direction of -Z, this makes the model appear in the desired way, without rotating.

anyway, i tested all of ^that^ and if i stay inside those boundaries, the models turn out perfectly functional.