Tannim's Mini Campaign - Updated 8/5/09

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Pater-Brown

Re: Tannim's Mini Campaign

Post by Pater-Brown » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:24 am

So, how long did it take till you got him?

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:39 pm

13 minutes. Basically, you have to go berserk. don't give him a chance to attack, and when he does, reverse it. when he reverses your attacks, counter the reversal and come back strong. use fatalities as often as possible, about 6 spinecrushers killed him last time i tried it (without using other attacks). it get's easier when you know how to avoid getting hit with any attack. one thing i've noticed is that countering a trip reversal still damages you slightly, therefor, only use trips when the enemy is stunned, or has just gotten back up. another trick is jumping over a trip instead of reversing it. to do this tap space when you would normally tap shift. you should land before he has recovered from the wasted attack, and will be able to soccer kick him, or U punch him. This does more damage than reversing the trip. another good idea for overpowered enemies is to use the wall kick a lot. it cannot be countered/reversed, only dodged, it does high damage, and stuns them badly. you can also try bunny kicking the enemy right as he gets up, this gives them a lot less time to reverse the kick. try to use bunny kicks when the enemy is close to a wall, hitting the wall will increase the damage done, and stuns them more. When there are dead bodies around use the corpse cannon to hit live enemies with the dead ones, this does about the same damage as a bunny kick, and cannot be reversed, unfortunately, it's harder to hit the target, but is quite effective when there is a successful hit.

anyway, done rambling. :wink:

Pater-Brown

Post by Pater-Brown » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:26 pm

Ok, I’m not patient enough. At a certain time, I just toke no care of any damage to me, because I thought I should already be three times dead and the level went on far too long.

How did you get 6 spinecrushers? I only got them after he kicked me through a wall, and that he shouldnt do six times...

Well, the other techniques I already did, only the point of jumping instead of reversing is new to me. And maybe I have to raise the amount of wallkicks.

Unfortunately it doesn‘t load the Users file anymore, so I had to start over.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:36 pm

heh, well, to do a spinecrusher without getting kicked through a wall, you have to confuse him with jumps and flips, stun him badly, or trip him then get behind him. you have to get behind him while he isn't moving, like when he just got back up or while he is stunned or confused, then do the spinecrusher. that's how i do fatalities on enemy's that are already alerted to my presence.

NinjaRabbits

Post by NinjaRabbits » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:00 pm

This is an interesting mini-game. It meets the high-bar of my BOO-YA! scale.

Keep up the good work! :D

tannim

Re: Tannim's Mini Campaign - Updated New File

Post by tannim » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:40 am

This has been updated.

One new finished "level" in Multi-level.

Enemies in Evil Twin and Multi-Level are now Beatable.

Lupine Forest is more Diverse and has 4 wolves and 4 rabbits instead of 8 wolves, they also patrol now. Still a dull level to me.

Hanamigi

Post by Hanamigi » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:06 pm

This should be featured in the lugaru downloader.

tannim

Post by tannim » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:26 pm

Anybody is welcome to put it in the thing, not sure how it works myself. The campaign is finally as finished as I'm likely to make it. All levels are now capable of being beaten without having to pop the enemy with debug mode.

I'm still dissapointed with Lupine Forest, it's not very creative at all. Just a bunch of trees with 8 enemies on it. All the other levels have some creativity to theme except that one. I should have just cut it out, but it seemed to fit at the end of Block Ruins so I stuck it in.

tannim

Re: Tannim's Mini Campaign - Updated 8/5/09

Post by tannim » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Replaced Lupine forest with Collapsed Valley.

Collapsed Valley is now a kill all map, since kill all but one didn't work.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 pm

man it's weird getting your butt kicked by cute little cartoon animals.
and the collapsed valley is awesomely nerve wracking on Insane.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:58 pm

Sweet!
Edit: I can dig up the old EvilTwin level, where he was harder to kill, if anyone wants to take a stab at it.

tannim

Post by tannim » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:18 am

I never once managed to fairly beat the original Evil Twin. That bastard was DURABLE!

Thanks Kehaar, I like Collapsed Valley on insane too, you have NO idea where the enemies are or where you are either <laughs> And then the drums start...

The enemies on that map, except for the wolf, range far and wide

matto1990

Post by matto1990 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:34 am

I've added this to The Lugaru Downloader. Install and start the application for a one click install of this mini campaign :)

http://www.matto1990.com/projects/lugarudownloader/

Edit: People who have already installed the downloader don't need to update to see it appear in the campaign list.

tannim

Post by tannim » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:39 am

Since all the new people are around, I thought I'd bring this thing back from the dead with a bump comment. It's still fun : )

ChosenOne

Post by ChosenOne » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:09 am

I played through this one as well.

Most unique mod. The craziest levels ever!

Unfortunately the campaign doesn't play like a campaign at all. No relationship between levels, or even dialogue - just a collection of challenge levels.

Level design was pretty rampant, with numerous places where Lugaru's engine, collision detection, really got in the way - tight spaces that glitched out, little nooks that enemies got caught in, etc.

Viewdistance was way too low in many levels. The caves maze level had such a low VD you could see sky through the clipped boulders even though it's an enclosed cave, for instance.

I can tell you had a lot of fun making these levels. But some were so huge it was frustrating just navigating them. Lugaru just doesn't offer enough level detail to constitute gigantic environments. I think David did really well when he put the original campaign together - his level design perfectly matches Lugaru's capabilities and scope. But that's ok. My WIP campaign is way outa balance, too arhhg.
ie. There was no way I would've beat your multilevel map, the last level, fairly hehe. I don't think I ever found all the enemies in it actually.

The chibi proportions got a little old after a while, but still funny for a change. Funny that David never used that console command feature in the original game.

Overall, I'm very glad you put this together. It gave me some ideas. Good out-of-the-box-thinking level design. I'd like to see more from you.