Hidden Things/accidents

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Sandurz

Hidden Things/accidents

Post by Sandurz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:09 pm

I'm not sure if this should go in random or not. Oh well.
So far I've found a passage in the old raider camp, leading right behind skipper
I also found a hole in th top of rocky hall. Once i figure out how to rcord, I'll post it.

Skofo

Re: Hidden Things/accidents

Post by Skofo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 pm

Yeah, the mapping in Lugaru always looked kinda messy to me. :P

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:57 am

Avoid the hole in Rocky Hall. Many times I've fallen in there without debug mode and have been unable to get out again xD
(Somehow I really didn't want to go Esc -> End Level :P)

Thrain

Post by Thrain » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:41 pm

You can get out of the attic by running at the hole leading to the main hall and ragdolling just before you hit; you'll squirt through and fall to the ground. Make sure you give yourself extra health first; it can be dangerous.

There was a slideshow posted a couple years ago showing this, but it seems to have disappeared. One of the replies mentions other hidden areas. I've searched and found them all, and others, too.

They are all accessible using the same ragdoll techniques; I've visited all of them. It can be difficult and time consuming to get into them; slow motion helps. It's fun but useless.

A lot of older posts thoroughly explored the world of Lugaru; they're worth looking through. More useless fun.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:35 pm

Please go into more detail about how exactly one would "Go Ragdoll" just like that without the N key?

Darwinian

Post by Darwinian » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:24 pm

jump and flip just before hitting the ground

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:48 am

I haven't been in the attic, but if the hole isn't next to a spot where you can stand on, it's impossible to ragdoll via flip-smash. You just do a flip and then fall back to the ground like you normally would, the same as if you jumped straight at a wall.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:13 pm

or on debug, you could run at it, and press n

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:43 pm

Sandurz wrote:or on debug, you could run at it, and press n
He said without pressing N.

-_-;

They're just David not filling in the spaces either because they were fun to get to or because he never saw the point in hiding what could be treated as secrets.

Or he put them there for debug purposes and forgot.

I dunno. I'm not David.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Or it was an accident.

Thrain

Post by Thrain » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:41 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:Please go into more detail about how exactly one would "Go Ragdoll" just like that without the N key?
Sorry; I was thinking of the Map Editor. You're right; unless you can get high enough to pass out while falling, or hit something hard enough to knock yourself out, you can't ragdoll without Debug. If you end up in the attic, you'll die there without it.

I always play in Debug, 'cuz it's so much fun. If I die, I blow up my enemies, or start myself on fire next to them, to teach them not to mess with me. That'll show em! I'll kill you even if I'm dead!
invertin wrote:They're just David not filling in the spaces either because they were fun to get to or because he never saw the point in hiding what could be treated as secrets.

Or he put them there for debug purposes and forgot.
I think the odd and nearly inaccessible locations are a function of the way the structures get built. In the Rocky Hall, blocks were dropped to create the walls and ceiling and tunnel, then rocks in odd shapes got piled on top of that, and they left voids, etc. Sometimes a pathway is created, but usually not. Either way, it's not intentional. It just happens.

Sometimes you can't even see a clear path, but if you give yourself lots of health, then fling yourself in ragdoll at the joint between planes, you'll get to a point where you lie there, seemingly exhausted, and if the path is below you, gravity will drag you down and you'll find yourself sliding between blocks until you suddenly pop out into a space behind the walls. Super Slow motion helps a lot to make this happen.

In fact, if you do this in the right place, like in the tiny tunnel above the main entrance tunnel in the Rocky Hall, you may eventually find yourself partially embedded in a surface, slowly rotating like something going down a drain, flailing around like an epileptic until you pop through and die, sometimes in a spectacular, bloody explosion. There was a GIF of this posted a long time ago, I think.

And sometimes these places are accessible without ragdoll. You can drop into the cave at the bottom of the Lookout Tower just by running along the rocks at the base on the side away from the ledges. Or you can creep into a rock on Level 5 of the Challenge, just by crouching and creeping slowly along the wall along the left edge (your left, as you spawn) of the large floating block. It's sorta like the "ghost of clipping graphics" in Ding.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Ragdoll isn't passing out, it's just ragdoll. When you go ragdoll from falling, it simulates not being able to control your jump anymore due to the huge distance you're trying to keep upright in. When you go ragdoll from flipping into the ground, it simulates the obvious effects of ramming your face into the floor, which is collapsing to the ground before getting up again.

Just so you know.

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:16 pm

The N button seems more like a "pass out" button.

Turner's a wuss and passes out alot.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:20 pm

the old raider camp tunnel thing seemed a bit more purposeful than the rocky hall hole. but yeah.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:56 pm

*ponders on the name of the game "N, the way of the ninja"*