the Seven Tasks - a mini campaign

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
skraeling

Re: the Seven Tasks - a mini campaign

Post by skraeling » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:12 pm

Wow, sounds really cool Lotus Wolf, go ahead!

Vrav, I like how you use your imagination when playing a game. Very cool and intellectual.
NinjaRabbits wrote:Actually , I do see a reason for there to be a sequel , and here it is: The talk of the Queen escaping , the mystery behing Yew's organization , the rabbit stuck in that box.................
Aside from what L-Dub (Lotus Wolf) already mentioned there was another reason for those story elements. I wanted to give the sense of there being this whole world the main story took place in. There were other rabbits leading other lives that had nothing to do with Yew's, except that briefly his intersected with theirs. I didn't want the world to revolve around the protagonist's life, the way it does in many games; I wanted the player to see glimpses that there was a lot of things going on in the world aside from his own missions. Tolkein did something similar with his "Lord of the Rings."

Point is I won't make a sequel. Even if I did, it probably wouldn't answer your questions, NinjaRabbits, but would raise more as I slipped in even more tiny side stories.

As for a new campaign, *looks at Lotus Wolf*, I probably won't do that either. I'm torn. The kudos from everybody in the Wolfire community pulls me towards making one, but the Lugaru map editor's difficulty as well as my desire to learn to make flash games pulls me towards not making one.

But, even though I probably won't make more campaigns for Lugaru, there are others in the community who will. I know Untadaike is working on a campaign. eyeCube is also working on one. I think kehaar might be as well?
Rabbit kung-fu is one of the most powerful forces in the universe. I have no doubt it will bring more Lugaru campaigns. Who knows, the next campaign could come from YOU!!!! :shock:

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:59 pm

I kind of doubt anyone else is going to make a real campaign, however more mini campaigns could be done easy I might upload one sometime but it's pretty constrained and kind of far from what I wanted mostly it was just me messing around. no dialogues I think that's what stops most people.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:54 am

well i really loved this one. its great how he made it (he just explained it, so i wont). it may be short, but by no means is this "mini".

anyway, to give it a properly modded menu, i made these:
Lugaru - The Seven Tasks
Lugaru - The Seven Tasks
Lugaru.png (22.25 KiB) Viewed 26130 times
Eyelid background with Sage's Reflection
Eyelid background with Sage's Reflection
Eyelid.png (407.09 KiB) Viewed 26131 times
Place them in the textures folder, after backing up the original files.

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:46 am

*twitch*

I think there's at least one other guy working on a campaign, too.

*twitch*

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:16 pm

Yesss....?
nodnodnodnod :wink:
Keyword is
Groveller wrote:...working on....
dondondondon :roll:

skraeling

Post by skraeling » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:01 pm

I can't believe I forgot about you, Groveller, and your campaign of terror and nightmares... and bunnies. My apologies.

Lotus Wolf, I am impressed. Great job. And thanks.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:09 pm

no problem, that's definitely not my best work, but it looks good on the menu screen. Thank You for the great campaign.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote:Thank You for the great campaign.
*nodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnod*

NinjaRabbits

Post by NinjaRabbits » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:33 pm

skraeling wrote:Wow, sounds really cool Lotus Wolf, go ahead!

Vrav, I like how you use your imagination when playing a game. Very cool and intellectual.
NinjaRabbits wrote:Actually , I do see a reason for there to be a sequel , and here it is: The talk of the Queen escaping , the mystery behing Yew's organization , the rabbit stuck in that box.................
Aside from what L-Dub (Lotus Wolf) already mentioned there was another reason for those story elements. I wanted to give the sense of there being this whole world the main story took place in. There were other rabbits leading other lives that had nothing to do with Yew's, except that briefly his intersected with theirs. I didn't want the world to revolve around the protagonist's life, the way it does in many games; I wanted the player to see glimpses that there was a lot of things going on in the world aside from his own missions. Tolkein did something similar with his "Lord of the Rings."

Point is I won't make a sequel. Even if I did, it probably wouldn't answer your questions, NinjaRabbits, but would raise more as I slipped in even more tiny side stories.

As for a new campaign, *looks at Lotus Wolf*, I probably won't do that either. I'm torn. The kudos from everybody in the Wolfire community pulls me towards making one, but the Lugaru map editor's difficulty as well as my desire to learn to make flash games pulls me towards not making one.

But, even though I probably won't make more campaigns for Lugaru, there are others in the community who will. I know Untadaike is working on a campaign. eyeCube is also working on one. I think kehaar might be as well?
Rabbit kung-fu is one of the most powerful forces in the universe. I have no doubt it will bring more Lugaru campaigns. Who knows, the next campaign could come from YOU!!!! :shock:
No sequel?
Fine , whatever.

eyeCube

Post by eyeCube » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:37 pm

Great campaign; I like the puzzle aspect of it, which gives a break from so much fighting. The story is more or less good, but the scenery (graphics, etc..) are good, considering how difficult map editing is in Lugaru.

The zombie level is fun, but too easy because the enemies are too slow xD (I play in insane mode, too!)

I especially liked the desert sandstorm level. 5/5 on that. However, I do have a couple complaints:

Finding the Sage in the Last Castle seemed a chore; he was always in a different place. This was just a minor annoyance.
After I found the desert village, I died and had to restart. You should have made it a different level when you got there IMO.

I could find a lot more, but they're all just minor complaints. All in all, this campaign is really good, but nothing beats the original :)

matt42

Post by matt42 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:46 am

how the he create that bunny statue?
I think that was the coolest part of the game the sanstorm because that bunny statue was great it takes a lot of map map editing and his done great.
The 3 campaigns are great but i think they need more levels.
Because all the campaigns + the original can be compleeted for one day.
It will be cooler- campaign whit 160 levels or more.Or The seven task 2,Empire 2,Temple 2.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:16 pm

Dang, Skraeling, that was awesome.

I am not worthy!!

Beautiful design on all levels, esp the sandstorm, and towns that look like towns. That's some artistic 3d composition.

I'd save your sequel efforts for OG, though... the Lugaru map editor is really fiendish to use.

skraeling

Post by skraeling » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:10 pm

eyeCube, glad you liked it. And yes, the sandstorm and the camp should have been seperate levels, and I only realized that after I posted the zip. And go ahead and PM me your minor complaints as well, if you like; I'm always interested in hearing any feedback.

kehaar, you will become worthy... in time. :wink: Thanks for the compliments. And I'd love to save my efforts for OG, but I doubt my computer will be able to run it (I have to play Lugaru with toned down graphics since with both high detail and motion blur it is absolutely unplayable from lag.)

matt42, the bunny statue is definitely one of the coolest things I did, and it's not that hard to do. It is made of 3 boxes, 4 chimneys, 1 tree (delete leaves), and 2 spikes. To tilt an object or make it upside down use "ctrl-down" and "ctrl-up"; this changes your rotation2 and will give a tilt for an object like arms and legs (which were chimneys).

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:30 pm

skraeling wrote:
kehaar, you will become worthy... in time. :wink: Thanks for the compliments. And I'd love to save my efforts for OG, but I doubt my computer will be able to run it (I have to play Lugaru with toned down graphics since with both high detail and motion blur it is absolutely unplayable from lag.)
I hear ya on the slow computer. I'm having to completely re-write how much building and how many fighters I can have on a level. I made an elaborate indoor maze--took me hours; it was so cool-- and then could only put in 4 enemies before my frame-rate was down below 15fps. :(

OTOH, if the levels are even decently playable on my rig, they should work well on other old, slow computers. I've had to explode nearby heads to get fps into the twenties on lots of campaign levels-- most of the Sky Palace and Canyon I had to blow up 3/4 of the characters.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:14 pm

I have a question for skraeling; You briefly mention the "Queen Dowager" in the general level, was this an intentional reference to a Chinese empress, or a coincidence?
The Textbook wrote:During the last half of the 19th century, there was only one person at the top of the Qing imperial palace. The Dowager Empress Cixi (tsoo-shee) ruled China, with only one brief gap, from 1868 until 1908.