Why\How April die

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
ilkondom

Re: Why\How April die

Post by ilkondom » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:48 pm

tokage wrote:
matt42 wrote:Yea but i am from Bulgaria she's maybe the smallest country from Europe doe's you speak Bulgarian?
Don't believe him. Bulgaria is by far not the smallest country in Europe. There are several others, who can be noticed to be much smaller by just a short glance on the map, namely Belgium, Makedonia, Albania, Slovenia, Suisse, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, Andorra to just name a few. The smallest country in Europe would probably be Vatican, which takes up just a portion of the city of Rome.
Dude Makedonia was part of Bulgaria. :cry:

tokage

Post by tokage » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:17 pm

Dude, Persia was part of Makedonia.

If you want to role up history you'll get into a lot of trouble, especially in Europe. Technically Italy was part of Germany. And before that Germany was part of France, so what? Couldn't you find a better reason to keep this thread going?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:12 am

Could you explain how Italy was technically part of Germany? Do you mean when Germany occupied Italy during WW2?

And how Germany was part of France? I'm thinking this was a long time ago. I'm interested.

I thought the Persian empire was huge. Macedonia isn't huge...

ilkondom

Post by ilkondom » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:32 pm

You know nothing about Bulgaria Makedonia was part of bulgaria check the wiki if you don't beleve it and i don't know anithing about Italy or Germani.

tokage

Post by tokage » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Ilkondom, never said Makedonia wasn't part of Bulgaria in the past. But so what? It doesn't matter. Makedonia is at this time and the time I wrote the other post an acknowledged independent state (not very stable, I recall). BTW I checked the wiki, I don't want to hurt your national pride or anthing, but the Makedonia I am referring to, officially called FYROM (Former Yoguslavian Republic of Macedonia) was never part of Bulgaria in recent times, during the cold war it was part of Yugoslavia.

Alexander the great was a Makedonian king(around 330BC). He conquered everything from Greece till the western border of India plus Egypt, Persia was right in the middle.
Charlemagne was a Frankish king around 800AD(on the territory of nowadays France), who conquered great parts of Germany and Italy and became Roman emperor.
During the middle ages (1000-1500 roughly) the Holy Roman Empire, later renamed Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation held a territory that consisted mainly of Germany, Austria-Hungary, Suisse and northern Italy. I said technically, because not all of this Empire became Germany as it is now - so the connection is thin - and Europe at that time was really a mess of territories exchanged through marriage, intrigue and war between a few aristocratic families. Still, as my original point was, that Europes maps were always in constant change, even more than most of the rest of the world, I guess it is even better for the example.

BTW Renegade, I don't think Germany occupied Italy in WW2. During most of the war they were allies. After the invasion of the Italian mainland, Italy signed an armistice with the allies and German troops fought in retreat from Italy. Wouldn't really call that occupied.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:06 pm

I thought that when Mussolini was arrested and that other guy took his place but then fled, Germany occupied Italy for a short time before Italy declared war on them from Malta?

If we're discussing history and which states were in power when, I wish the Basque region would become its own state. The Basque region is cool.

And the Catalan region. They already have their own football teams, why can't they just be made internationally-recognised states? Franco was a dickhead.

Also, ETA are cool. They're like what the modern IRA should be. The modern IRA seek their ideals with the wrong means, killing innocent people, like those two off-duty British soldiers they killed a year or two ago. ETA bomb banks at like 3 a.m. so that no one gets killed. There's been countless bombings in the last few years that I've heard of, but never any fatalaties or even injuries. No one's going to support a group that kills without mercy.

tokage

Post by tokage » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:32 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I thought that when Mussolini was arrested and that other guy took his place but then fled, Germany occupied Italy for a short time before Italy declared war on them from Malta?
If you want to say it like that, I won't stop you. I just skimmed through the wiki article on the armistice and got the impression, that the only reason for German troops being in Italy was first to fight the invading allied troops and then to stall them and get Mussolini back to power. Of course they were in northern Italy, but is it occupation, if the countries former leader, who was dethroned by an invading force, supports them?*
Either way, that is not what I meant. It was too brief a period and just during the war. All of the examples I gave were long lasting periods where an effective government had been established.

I am indifferent about the Basque region. Don't know enough about Spain's history. Also, your statement, that the ETA hasn't killed anyone is not necessarily true. Last year on Mallorca 2 civil guards were killed in a bombing that is said to be ETAs responsibility.

*Not intending to make a morality statement here.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:48 pm

Dethroned by an invading force? I thought Mussolini was removed from his position by Italy's king and replaced with some other guy?

Also, I know that sections of ETA have killed with bombings, but if you look up in the last year, they've done countless bombings and there hasn't been a single fatality or injury as far as I know. It has been suspected that they caused the train bombings in Madrid 5 or 6 years ago.

tokage

Post by tokage » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Oops, you are right. I had thought Mussolini was in power till the allied invasion. The chronology is quite confusing.
Still, the German troops, that "occupied" Italy, were already in Italy before the armistice was signed and the armistice was signed after the invasion of the main land although on the same day. Don't know about the political system in Italy at that time, so I can't judge, if Mussolini's removal from office was played by the rules or not, but as the king was involved it probably was. Nonetheless the Germans established a second government and brought Mussolini back to power, so it had some notion of a civil war. There were also parts of the Italian military, who continued the fight on the axis side, after the armistice.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:17 am

World War 2 history is confusing, so I generally just try to skirt around it.

Noz

Post by Noz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:52 pm

matt42 wrote:they are necrophiles :P
Before they killed them! :o :roll: