Triumphant Return?

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Triumphant Return?

Post by FrozenThunder » Mon May 11, 2009 10:31 pm

Ah man, it's been a while since I've been around the forum. It's great to see that progress is really going through on the sequel.

Now if only I could find a job, I'd be able to pre-order. I just completed my OSHA Warehouse Worker & Forklift Operator Certification in California last week so I'm hoping that my job searches will be more sucessful from here on out.

The new map editor tools look much nicer and more fun to work with. Also loving the Phoenix Engine graphics quality.

I do have a couple questions for you though Jeff. Are the textures currently in the game built-in from the engine or custom? Also are you guys developing the game in OSX and porting it over to windows? or are you working on both versions simultaneously?

I got myself a nice intel iMac now with a Dual Boot of OSX Leopard and Windows XP via bootcamp but I prefer to use all my software in OSX cause it just works :)

Lotus Wolf

Re: Triumphant Return?

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon May 11, 2009 11:18 pm

Oh wow! Though I haven't been around since your time, I've followed the forums for much longer than I've actually been on them, I think it's really cool to see older forum members come back on. Welcome back!

Textures, eh? So are you the one that helped David with textures in Lugaru? If so, that's really awesome! You're a veteran here if that's the case.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue May 12, 2009 1:18 am

As far as I know they are developing it using a PC (and mac?) but it works for both except the older versions of Mac I think. it works on Lunux using some program or something, I don't know since I don't use it (only know by people talking)

there has been a blog post about why you should support mac, or at least make games for mac (I think)

Also, I heard that the textures and such update in real time. Don't know if that means anything regarding your question though.

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Tue May 12, 2009 1:58 am

Lotus Wolf wrote:Oh wow! Though I haven't been around since your time, I've followed the forums for much longer than I've actually been on them, I think it's really cool to see older forum members come back on. Welcome back!

Textures, eh? So are you the one that helped David with textures in Lugaru? If so, that's really awesome! You're a veteran here if that's the case.
Heh I cut that part of the post out cause I felt it seemed kinda pointless but since someone actually saw it... I helped with a couple textures but my contributions were really minor. I tried redoing the grass textures as well with modified photo's of grass too but it came out looking too much like vines oddly enough. I was doing it to pass time and it sure was fun when I got it right. :P

Almost all the textures were made by the Lugaru team as far as I am aware. I just wish I was able to be more useful. Really wanted the grass texture to work out. I think I just need to find some more consistent looking grass. If the grass is too patchy it comes out wrong, also have to be careful of noticeable repetitive tiling. I may try my hand at it again one of these days and see if I can finally get it right. Might be nice to have some closure heh. 8)
Ozymandias wrote:As far as I know they are developing it using a PC (and mac?) but it works for both except the older versions of Mac I think. it works on Lunux using some program or something, I don't know since I don't use it (only know by people talking)
From what I read is that Overgrowth has issues with older Macs that run off the PowerPC Architecture. Macs from the Post intel processor switch work for whatever reason.
there has been a blog post about why you should support mac, or at least make games for mac (I think)
Every forum has at least 10 of those type of topics. I do however agree with people when they say more games need to have mac versions. Ignoring an entire platform restricts monetary gains from potential customers. However developers have to decide if a port will be beneficial enough to justify the cost of porting it to the target platform.

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Tue May 12, 2009 5:35 am

FrozenThunder wrote:Are the textures currently in the game built-in from the engine or custom?
I think their custom.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Wed May 13, 2009 6:35 am

Can somebody explain, wut is triumphant?

MONKEYZ RULE
mashed patatos and whipped cream
Location: Somewhere too warm for a jacket, yet too cold for shorts.

Post by MONKEYZ RULE » Wed May 13, 2009 10:04 am

It means victorious, I'm surprised a 15 yr old had to have that explained, no offense.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed May 13, 2009 10:15 am

MONKEYZ RULE wrote:It means victorious, I'm surprised a 15 yr old had to have that explained, no offense.
I'd have said the same.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed May 13, 2009 11:30 am

FrozenThunder wrote: I do have a couple questions for you though Jeff. Are the textures currently in the game built-in from the engine or custom? Also are you guys developing the game in OSX and porting it over to windows? or are you working on both versions simultaneously?
Welcome back :D

Not sure what you mean by built-in textures or custom textures. We are working on both platforms simultaneously.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed May 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Jeff wrote:Not sure what you mean by built-in textures or custom textures. We are working on both platforms simultaneously.
I sort of think he means will we be able to directly modify the existing textures (like in Lugaru) or are we not able to touch them.

I know that now in overgrowth you can put your own models into the game (that's how the whale man got in in the first place)

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Thu May 14, 2009 6:02 am

Glabbit wrote:
MONKEYZ RULE wrote:It means victorious, I'm surprised a 15 yr old had to have that explained, no offense.
I'd have said the same.
Im a boy from finland, I dont know all the words...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu May 14, 2009 6:09 am

The reason why his title is Jailbait can be traced back to here.

On that note, you're awfully fond of making various "I've returned!" threads. I don't understand people's infatuation with making those, when I make a leave of absence from the forums because I'm bored of them or whatever, I just return, I don't make an announcement.

MONKEYZ RULE
mashed patatos and whipped cream
Location: Somewhere too warm for a jacket, yet too cold for shorts.

Post by MONKEYZ RULE » Thu May 14, 2009 6:23 am

I thought you were from my garden :P

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Fri May 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Jeff wrote:Welcome back :D

Not sure what you mean by built-in textures or custom textures. We are working on both platforms simultaneously.
Oh I apologize for not asking clearly. Some developers pay a certain amount of money to use game engines that were developed by other companies "Example: http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3D"

In cases like leasing the torque game engine, it has textures that are available for use upon startup of the program if you decided to keep your game looking generic. Designing your own unique textures allows your game to stand out from the rest of games designed using the same engine.

What I had meant to ask was: Are the current textures that were featured in your preview videos custom made by your team? or did they come with the Phoenix Engine?

Hope that's a bit clearer and far less generalized than before :P
Renegade_Turner wrote:The reason why his title is Jailbait can be traced back to here.

On that note, you're awfully fond of making various "I've returned!" threads. I don't understand people's infatuation with making those, when I make a leave of absence from the forums because I'm bored of them or whatever, I just return, I don't make an announcement.
Hmm you starting digging through all my previous posts just so you could say that? Well I mean if you had nothing better to do then...

I was just just saying it for the heck of it. I have had multiple absences because of whatever was going on in my life but this was my favorite forum to frequent.

So I just don't see why anyone would care that I made more than 1 "I've returned threads." To be honest I didn't even know that my old topic still existed considering the topic was created back on march 6th 2006. If you found it annoying that I made a second topic 3 years later, why even bother commenting when you could ignore it? :?

I also didn't see any comments posted about my Jailbait title by anyone else, so I don't see how it's relevant to anything posted in this topic. Care to explain your reasoning for why you felt it was necessary to mention it?

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri May 15, 2009 10:26 pm

FrozenThunder wrote:What I had meant to ask was: Are the current textures that were featured in your preview videos custom made by your team? or did they come with the Phoenix Engine?
Wolfire made the Phoenix engine from scratch. Hope that helps =)

Also, just as I don't mind people making 'introduction' threads I don't mind people saying they're back form an absence... maybe VibRib will come back? =o lol, one can hope...

Also, this should normally go in 'randomness.' in any case, do you think you'll be back for good now?