Lugaru Grass Texture Attempt #something

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Lugaru Grass Texture Attempt #something

Post by FrozenThunder » Fri May 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Edit: (Original post removed and original screenshots deleted)

I decided to restart my texture project again cause the grass sample was impossible to work with... :?

Current progress screenshots:
Last edited by FrozenThunder on Mon May 25, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ozymandias

Re: Lugaru Grass Texture Attempt #something

Post by Ozymandias » Fri May 15, 2009 11:51 pm

It looks like the grass is too bright and looks like it contains huge blades of grass rather than small thin ones like you can see growing on your lawn.

The moss texture is the same, and it also suffers from the fact that it looks like huge blades of grass rather than moss =O

I dunno if they just named it moss because its supposed to be darker than the normal grass or if its supposed to be actual moss though...

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Sat May 16, 2009 12:08 am

Ozymandias wrote:It looks like the grass is too bright and looks like it contains huge blades of grass rather than small thin ones like you can see growing on your lawn.

The moss texture is the same, and it also suffers from the fact that it looks like huge blades of grass rather than moss =O

I dunno if they just named it moss because its supposed to be darker than the normal grass or if its supposed to be actual moss though...
Well our lawn is not 100% pure. It's got a mix of thin blades and wider crabgrass? but whatever. It still looks better than my old lawn which was big patches of dirt that was incapable of grass growth. We had a huge weeping willow tree that sapped the life out of the nearby surroundings.

As for the moss texture. That was not intended to replace the moss file with higher quality moss. I was just experimenting with different photo-based texture combinations to see if anything looked alright. I'm well aware that moss is not long and thin blades :)

I still have some more color tweaking to do overall on the grass texture (it was originally a whole lot lighter than in the screens) but to be honest the original files didn't exactly match up 100% either.

But any-who, thanks for your input. :mrgreen:
Last edited by FrozenThunder on Sat May 16, 2009 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sat May 16, 2009 12:10 am

I'm just saying... the blades of grass are about as big as Turner's foot. =o

They do look realistic in the sense that they -look- real, but it doesn't look -right- because it's so big =O

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Sat May 16, 2009 12:14 am

Ozymandias wrote:I'm just saying... the blades of grass are about as big as Turner's foot. =o

They do look realistic in the sense that they -look- real, but it doesn't look -right- because it's so big =O
Hmm I could always try and shrink them down a bit but I'm not sure how far I can go before the texture fuglifies :P

I'll see what happens and post the result. I may just have to find a better patch of grass for my sample image though.

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Sat May 16, 2009 1:00 am

Hmm after shrinking the image down, the noticeable tiling issue starts becoming more apparent. Darn

The texture also becomes far less detailed at shorter distances when the grass texture becomes smaller and more compact.

I shrank the image down by making a larger blank image and pasting multiple copies of the texture in it to make up one larger image, followed by a resizing to the original resolution.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sat May 16, 2009 1:19 am

I guess you'd need to get a photo of more grass... as in, more grass in the same picture (not so zoomed in)

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Sat May 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Instead of grass you should replace it with meat & replace that running on grass sound with a squishy running on meat sound.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Sat May 16, 2009 1:04 pm

FrozenThunder wrote: Image
This looks good. Buy Ozy is right, the texture looks fake when Turner is standing on it because the blades are too big. Turner's foot is too obviously on top of the grass rather than in it.

I think that this looks better due to the size correction. You're right, the tiling becomes apparent but it still looks better than your original and the game's original.

Despite any problems I think it's awesome that you are using your own images (of your own lawn) for this :) I think these look really cool.

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Sat May 16, 2009 1:40 pm

It does look better. It would be cool if you guys could have made the grass look like this in the game xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY1w4Yn1qvk

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat May 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Richie Rabbit wrote:Instead of grass you should replace it with meat & replace that running on grass sound with a squishy running on meat sound.
Actually the walking-on-grass sound already sounds quite squishy to me...

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Sat May 16, 2009 2:29 pm

Richie Rabbit wrote:Instead of grass you should replace it with meat & replace that running on grass sound with a squishy running on meat sound.
Mmm meat...
Jendraz wrote:This looks good. Buy Ozy is right, the texture looks fake when Turner is standing on it because the blades are too big. Turner's foot is too obviously on top of the grass rather than in it.
Good point. At first I thought to myself that Turner is a rabbit and rabbits would proportionally have smaller feet than the grass blades at my house, however it's impossible to simulate that turner is standing inside the grass with flat textures alone.
Jendraz wrote:I think that this looks better due to the size correction. You're right, the tiling becomes apparent but it still looks better than your original and the game's original.

Despite any problems I think it's awesome that you are using your own images (of your own lawn) for this :) I think these look really cool.
Well I am glad to hear that somebody does like the texture even if it doesn't work in lugaru yet :)

I have a lot of fine-tuning to do on it to get rid of the majority of the tiling problem.

Currently I have the texture looking like this:

I've been using these projects as a way to develop my texture creation skills. My older brother is studying to be a game programmer so I want to be able to help him out on texturing if I can get good enough. In the future I want to take a texture design course that way I can create more professional patterns.

The hardest part about making a tiled grass texture is that large variations in grass samples can cause horrible tiling. If the sample is one type of grass with no impurities like weeds and darker or lighter patches of newer or dying grass, it'll be a bit easier to make a truly tile-able texture. My sample had too many variations from weeds, grass, and clover like plants. I may have to try looking around the neighborhood to find a yard with better texture potential, however, it will lose the more unique look of my lawn :P
Richie Rabbit wrote:It does look better. It would be cool if you guys could have made the grass look like this in the game xD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY1w4Yn1qvk
Unfortunately that would require the development team to code in flexible 3D grass blades that either moved around based on physics and wind simulation or script a constant looping animation of the grass moving with imaginary wind :P

Having physics-based grass blades that would flex and wiggle around as turner walked over it would be awesome but I think it would be far less friendly to older out-of-date computer systems.

In any case I don't see that happening with Lugaru 1. Maybe you should bring your case for it to the developers for Overgrowth.

Since I'm not affiliated with the Lugaru team, my words and ideas carry the same amount of weight as anyone else on the forums.

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Mon May 25, 2009 8:45 pm

Well I decided to trash my original grass texture cause I couldn't make it look decent in the game so I'm trying again with a new grass photo. Perhaps this one will be a bit easier on the eyes...

The screenshots in the first post have been updated to reflect my current progress.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon May 25, 2009 10:14 pm

I admin, I mean I admit, they've improved. :)

Tüssler

Post by Tüssler » Tue May 26, 2009 9:56 pm

Untadaike wrote:I admin, I mean I admit, they've improved. :)
thats suposed to be funy? you pretending to corect your self? go to fucking hell u bastard
btw, realy crappy ground textures, frozen shit.

Suspended for a week for this post