New Campaign FINISHED!!! ...almost...

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
kehaar

New Campaign FINISHED!!! ...almost...

Post by kehaar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:25 pm

I have finished my campaign, ffs! :D

It's 60 levels, a (mostly) coherent plot, some cool sets, character development, lotsa dialogue, clothes, skins and decals made or modified, blah blah, etc.

So now I have 4 problems left:

The main one: John kindly suggested he'd heard there was a 50 level maximum on campaigns and I might have to split it up into Act 1 and Act 2, but he didn't know for sure.

I seem to have an invisible glitch in my campaign text that crashes the game, and my patience is reaching its limit... it's been months making the game and now I'm up to about 20 hours just trying to fix the very last thing, the campaign txt. Oy.

I've split the text into two shorter ones, both play, and then I can't get them to work once I re-unite them. I even re-typed the 2nd half on the end of the first by hand (i.e. one cluster at a time), something stops it...

The second problem is that for some reason the very first map loads fine if you type the map name into the console, but in campaign mode-- when I can get that to work-- it loads the main (your hero) character without her skin: she's just the pale plastic form the skin goes on... she looks like a FoxBot. It's kind of cool, IMO, but it's already a dream sequence, and the effect probably won't increase players' ability to figure out that's what's happening. Tried saving it a lot, rebuilt the dialogue, rewrote the campaign txt, still loads the blank.

Third, I never did figure out how you configure the last campaign level so it sends you to the "Congratulations! You have restored peace to the Island of Lugaru, and here is your score" screen.

The 4th one is that I have no idea how to send the game out into the world, being a noob at almost all this compooter stuff.

All thoughts and answers appreciated, and Thanks in Advance,

--James (kehaar)

ps. my wife thanks you X 20, since I've been working on this every free minute for 4 months now :roll:

ilkondom

Re: New Campaign FINISHED!!! ...almost...

Post by ilkondom » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:13 am

The 4th problem:make zip file of folder named campign dialogues maps and if you got personal skins
make a zip of the folder named skins.and post it to some site like http://willhostforfood.com/
or you can post it to the original mod page of lugaru http://www.wolfire.com/lugaru/mods

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks, Ilkondom!

ilkondom

Post by ilkondom » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:41 pm

No problem i can't wait for other campaigns like you'rs i like a more challenging campaign with more levels.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:04 pm

Congrats on getting this far. As for the 50 level limit; you do have to split it in half, and both must be played separately, and cannot be re-united.

That's all I can help with for now... Check the wiki, and make sure you've got the main.txt file totally straight.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:03 pm

Thanks, Lotus. I split it and it isn't bad to play it that way, so that'll work fine.

Now if I can just get that "You have restored peace" end screen.

Right now I just have the ol' Dot Waaay Off In the Corner, in the North Western Ocean thing...

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:36 pm

I'm fairly sure that...
kehaar wrote:Right now I just have the ol' Dot Waaay Off In the Corner, in the North Western Ocean thing...
... means you have a problem with your main.txt(s).

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:52 pm

I think you're right, that's definitely one of the signs...

(both) the whole main.txt's work all the way through, the NorthWest Dot only comes up after the last level... is the "you have restored peace" screen a map, perchance?

I couldn't locate it in the original map pack in rabbit's foot, although maybe I should look again...

heck, I should reload a fresh copy of Lugaru to see if the campaign plays right when you load all my stuff into it anyway.

Meh. I just gotta admit that it's going to take a few more hours.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:09 pm

check the number of levels value in the main.txt. if it's more than what you have, that's the effect you'll get.

NinjaRabbits

Post by NinjaRabbits » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:42 pm

Kehaar, you're are lucky to have gotten this far with your campaign.. My dialogues keep freezing my games, and I keep shortening them.

Hey, quick question for the more experienced type: When it comes to certain maps, do they only accept the amount of dialogues they originaly had, or is that just a stupid question by me, NinjaRabbits? :?

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:11 pm

depends, are you using maps that already had dialogue and deleting the original dialogue, or starting fresh?

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Also, NinjaRabbit, are you using the console, or are you using dedit (--or something else) to edit?

Using the console method from the wiki, I haven't noticed any limit after I "ddialogue" a map and save it. I do reload the saved map before I install new dialogue, but that may be just nervous superstition on my part.

I also started to be nervous about ddialogue, so I got a map out of a Challenge level and cleared all the rabbits and furniture out of it to build new maps on.

I think all my dialogue install problems came down to the dialogue text itself, not the map. Usually it was due to some flaw in typing/spacing, etc that I'd overlooked, and a few times to some completely invisible contamination that disappeared when I entirely rewrote the dialogue text.

I have the best results opening a new blank dialogue text box, copying the heading and the first 2 or 3 dialogue "clusters" --paragraphs? whatever you call 'em-- from a dialogue that I KNOW works-- (one I've seen in a game level). Then I just copy-paste each new cluster as I need it once I've got the characters' names and box colors put in.

And I don't think this is in the wiki, but make sure the cursor has nowhere to go after the very last dialogue character (the sound numeral at the end of the last "cluster")-- the right arrow and down arrow buttons should have no effect on it.

I had no luck copy-pasting actual dialogue sentances from another document; it made one of those invisible glitches that crashed the game... I redid it typing the exact same words right into the text box and it worked perfectly.

I could never get some things to work, though, like "fixdialogue", and the map objectives killsomeone and killmost and hot spots seem pretty hit or miss.

tannim

Post by tannim » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:35 pm

For the campaign to end correctly, change the main.txt for the LAST level from
NumNext: 1
to
NumNext: 0

tannim

Post by tannim » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:58 am

So, did this ever go anywhere?

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:44 am

Heck yeah, it was this!

I'm not totally happy with all the levels, but I think the story holds up...