Lugaru Downloader

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
matto1990

Lugaru Downloader

Post by matto1990 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:20 pm

UPDATE ON 2013/04/12: The source code for this tool is not open source and a new developer should take over viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5196&p=191135#p191135

UPDATE FROM ADMIN: This Tool Is no longer available, and will not work if you try to run it.

Update: Anyone who has install the downloader less than a day after i posted this thread should read this.

Hi everyone,

This has been a long time coming (I blame exams), but I'm finally going to release the first version of the Lugaru Downloader.

What does it do?

The basic idea of the Lugaru Downloader is to allow you to switch between the different campaigns that have been made avalaible for Lugaru. At the press of a button you can switch from Lugaru: Empire to Lugaru: Temple; and all without having to mess around with backing up certain files to make sure the game keeps running.

Lugaru Download automatically downloads, backs up and activates any of the campaigns listed in the program. This means you will no longer have to mess around in the data folder swapping files around just so you can play your game.

Where can I get it?

You can get it from the Lugaru Downloader website. Read the details bellow for information regarding how to use it.

How do I get started?

Step 1
Visit the website and press the Install Now button. This will automatically install Adobe AIR (if you don't have it already) and then install the Lugaru Downloader itself. You can accept all the defaults to get it installed.

After installation it will automatically start the program.

Step 2
You need to choose the Lugaru data folder from the box that pops up. On windows this is normally at C:\Program Files\Lugaru\Data - this will be different on Mac and Linux.

Important! You must select the Data folder, which is inside the Lugaru folder. Selecting the Lugaru folder itself will not work!

Also important! Having an installation of Lugaru that starts free of mods is the best way to use the Lugaru Downloader. If you already have mods installed the downloader will not work as expected and could lead to some unexpected things happening. You can redownload Lugaru from the Wolfire website.

That's it! You're all setup and ready to go :)

How do I activate a campaign?

Pick a campaign to download and press the Activate button. After a short wait you will be able to launch Lugaru and play your newly activated mod.

How to I change to another campaign?

Simply click the activate button of the mod you want to change to and then sit back and relax while the Download makes the switch happen for you.

Note: You may need to create a different save game profile for each campaign and swap between them manually or your progress may get confused between campaigns. For example if you are on level 3 of Lugaru: Temple, and then you switch to Lugaru: Empire, it will think you are on level 3 of Empire as well. To rectivy this just create a new profile and then when you switch back to Temple go back to your other profile to resume progress.

How do I get back to the default campaign?

To get back to the default campaign you just need to press the revert button in the top right of the program. This will uninstall any campaign that you have active and revert you back to the default one that comes with the game. No saved games will be lost when you do this.

What was the download link again?

You can get it from here:
http://lugarudownloader.matto1990.com/

Technical stuff

Lugaru Downloader is built around the Adobe AIR framework and is made using web technologies like HTML, CSS and Javascript. It works by connecting to my server and getting an up to date list of the campaigns that have been released. From there is will download the required files, backup any default files that are about to be replaced (these are backed up to the applications local storage area) and then copy the new campaign files over the top of the default ones.

Reverting back to the default works the same, but in reverse.

The interface is powered by jQuery and the jQuery UI libraries.

I'm thinking of open sourcing the project so other people can contribute to it and make changes if they wish. If you want to view the sourse code now, simply download the .air file and open it with any zip program (it's just a zip file with a different file extention). You will be able to see my rubbish code inside that file.

Questions?

As it not gets quite clear, if you switch between campaigns, will the files be downloaded every time or are backed-up files just copied from the hard disk after the first time downloading?

They are backed up on your computer after they've been downloaded so that you only have to download it once.

Will it work on Mac?

It does work on a mac, I've had it tested by a few people. I also believe it works on Linux but I haven't tested this yet.

Does this work without internet?

I don't think it will. When it starts up it needs to get a copy of the latest mods from my server so it will likely just refuse to start up. I might build in offline support in a future version.

Enjoy!

Matt
http://www.matto1990.com
Last edited by matto1990 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

John

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by John » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:22 pm

Way to go Matto. Nice job!

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:23 pm

This is hot, I'll be downloading it soon.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Quite hot indeed!

matto1990

Post by matto1990 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:18 pm

Just a quick heads up to anyone who's already downloaded the downloader...

Please uninstall the version you have downloaded and then reinstall it. I have updated it to now check for updates automatically every 14 days, however this doesn't play too well with the old version; so you first need to uninstall and then install the new version.

Sorry for the mix up. It should be a bit smoother next time.

Download from here: http://lugarudownloader.matto1990.com/

tokage

Post by tokage » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:06 pm

Question: As it not gets quite clear, if you switch between campaigns, will the files be downloaded every time or are backed-up files just copied from the hard disk after the first time downloading?
Well, sorry I am too lazy to try myself...
Anyway, great idea.

matto1990

Post by matto1990 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:50 am

tokage wrote:Question: As it not gets quite clear, if you switch between campaigns, will the files be downloaded every time or are backed-up files just copied from the hard disk after the first time downloading?
Well, sorry I am too lazy to try myself...
Anyway, great idea.
They are backed up on your computer after they've been downloaded so that you only have to download it once.

Ameefmu

Post by Ameefmu » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:25 am

Nice work :)
I'm not sure it'll work on Mac, due to directory changes though.

matto1990

Post by matto1990 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:24 pm

Ameefmu wrote:Nice work :)
I'm not sure it'll work on Mac, due to directory changes though.
It does work on a mac, I've had it tested by a few people. I also beliave it works on Linux but I haven't tested this yet.

If you're on a mac you just select the appropreiate directroy when promtped. I have no idea where this is though :S

Zeno

Post by Zeno » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:21 pm

When I hit the install button on the download page I get an error.
Sorry, an error has occurred.

This application cannot be installed because this installer has been mis-configured. Please contact the application author for assistance.
And so I'm contacting the application author for assistance. Help, please? :|

matto1990

Post by matto1990 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:16 pm

The best thing I can recommend is to first download Adobe AIR (if you dont already have it):

Windows
Mac OS X

And then after that is done install the Downloader:

http://lugarudownloader.matto1990.com/d ... ru-1.1.air

Hope that helps :)

c_y@

Post by c_y@ » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:06 pm

finaly i hate having to back up my files

APROVED

Zeno

Post by Zeno » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 pm

matto1990 wrote:The best thing I can recommend is to first download Adobe AIR (if you dont already have it):

Windows
Mac OS X

And then after that is done install the Downloader:

http://lugarudownloader.matto1990.com/d ... ru-1.1.air

Hope that helps :)
Yep, that fixed it. Thanks! :D

MONKEYZ RULE
mashed patatos and whipped cream
Location: Somewhere too warm for a jacket, yet too cold for shorts.

Post by MONKEYZ RULE » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:24 am

I love being the beta tester for something and having it be released. :D

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:12 pm

MONKEYZ RULE wrote:I love being the beta tester for something and having it be released. :D
Me too :mrgreen: