Lugaru Downloader

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
User avatar
matto1990
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by matto1990 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:47 pm

Cheers guys :D Thanks for helping out :)

ilkondom
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by ilkondom » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:02 am

Is this work without internet.

User avatar
matto1990
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by matto1990 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:04 am

ilkondom wrote:Is this work without internet.
I don't think it will. When it starts up it needs to get a copy of the latest mods from my server so it will likely just refuse to start up. I might build in offline support in a future version.

Sorry...

User avatar
matto1990
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by matto1990 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:10 pm

I've got a new website up for the project which makes it all part of my new site design. Very exciting :P

http://www.matto1990.com/projects/lugarudownloader/

User avatar
Count Roland
Posts: 2936
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:15 pm
Location: Galapagos Islands, rodeoin some turtles.
Contact:

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by Count Roland » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:58 pm

that was nice of them giving you lugaru for free.

User avatar
matto1990
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by matto1990 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:33 am

I'm looking to change the interface around a bit so that it can support custom campaigns with multiple part. One has just been released and I think there may be some more on the way.

Mockup 1

Image

The first mockup shows the interface with two buttons instead of the usual one. You would just press the button of the part you want to activate. This way requires less clicking to get straight to the second part.

Mockup 2

Image

The second mockup shows it with a single activate button and a dropdown. When the campaign is activated it will default to the first part (which is normally what people want when they first activate a multipart campaign. You wouldn't normally jump to part two). When activated the dropdown becomes visiable and allows you to choose the next part of the campaign. This method is much more scalable and could theoretically deal with a campaign with as many parts as you wish (although I can't see anyone ever making a campaign with more than 3 parts).

Any comments or suggestions are welcome... :)

User avatar
tokage
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: In a meat machine

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by tokage » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:58 am

Mhh, both look nice.
I bet it wouldn't make a difference in usability, which one you pick. Maybe you should do the one that is less work?
Although by my rough estimate there also shouldn't be much difference.
If I were you I would take the second one, because it is scalable. But I am a perfectionist in those things and I doubt there ever will be a campaign with 3 parts.
How will you do it? Make separate widgets for multi- and single-part campaigns or just go with the same and hide/disable the unnecessary parts when parts<2?

User avatar
matto1990
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by matto1990 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:15 am

tokage wrote:Mhh, both look nice.
I bet it wouldn't make a difference in usability, which one you pick. Maybe you should do the one that is less work?
Although by my rough estimate there also shouldn't be much difference.
If I were you I would take the second one, because it is scalable. But I am a perfectionist in those things and I doubt there ever will be a campaign with 3 parts.
How will you do it? Make separate widgets for multi- and single-part campaigns or just go with the same and hide/disable the unnecessary parts when parts<2?
By the looks of how the current multipart campaign is setup I will just need to change the main.txt file to swap what campaign files are there. The rest of the campaign (maps, textures and models) are normally all installed all at once and then you just change the campaign file to change the part.

That's how it's looking so far anyway. I'm not sure what future ones would be like (although it would be nice if they worked in a similar way :wink:).

If it's a mutlipart one I'd just add something simple to the json file which tells it that it's a multipart campaign which will then show the parts of the widget that is needed to swap parts. Should be easy enough :) (Just got to do it now :P).

User avatar
matto1990
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by matto1990 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:16 am

Oh by the way. I'm going to release the source code before I do any of this. So if you're a Javascript developer who knows how to work Adobe AIR SDK you're welcome to help out :)

nrein
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:35 pm

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by nrein » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:23 pm

I downloaded the Temple mod from the manager and when the download was completed. I got the Working... thing and it's been there for about 20 minutes. What should I do since I know it shouldn't be there that long.

Edit: Just re-ran the manager as admin, clicked on the temple mod again and the campaign switched instantly!

User avatar
Jendraz
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by Jendraz » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Wow, this is big. Nice job Matto :)

XPhoenix
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by XPhoenix » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:16 pm

I'm having the same problem as nrein; after I download a module, after the download is complete I get stuck on the "Working..." page! Unfortunatly I am having this problem on my Admin account, so nrein's solution won't work for me! Please help, I really want to play some lugaru mods!

User avatar
matto1990
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by matto1990 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:20 pm

XPhoenix wrote:I'm having the same problem as nrein; after I download a module, after the download is complete I get stuck on the "Working..." page! Unfortunatly I am having this problem on my Admin account, so nrein's solution won't work for me! Please help, I really want to play some lugaru mods!
If you're on Windows try right clicking the shortcut and pressing "Run as Admin" This might make it work. Give me an email on [email protected] if it doesn't.

User avatar
rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler
Posts: 2193
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:19 pm
Location: Hamburg City
Contact:

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:04 pm

Could you implement weapon swapping? So that one could say "Sword is this SOLID with these textures, Staff is this SOLID with these textures, Knife is this SOLID with these textures"?
I think that would make sense.

XPhoenix
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Lugaru Downloader

Post by XPhoenix » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:15 pm

matto1990 wrote:
XPhoenix wrote:I'm having the same problem as nrein; after I download a module, after the download is complete I get stuck on the "Working..." page! Unfortunatly I am having this problem on my Admin account, so nrein's solution won't work for me! Please help, I really want to play some lugaru mods!
If you're on Windows try right clicking the shortcut and pressing "Run as Admin" This might make it work. Give me an email on [email protected] if it doesn't.
Thank you matto, you are a genious! (I'm stating the obvious again, aren't I?) It works!

Post Reply